Forum

POV demo.

Created 16th October 2012 @ 22:10

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Regen

nf.
9F

I watched a POV demo of a player i found suspicious this afternoon.
Then later on that night i went to play videogames and apparently i had the exact HUD and sensetivity and whatnot the guy in the POV demo had.

Now i’ve deleted and installed a new HUD and am now using my backup config from a few months ago.
Let’s say he was indeed using hacks or w/e, would they have been transfered to my config?
By having installed a new HUD and cfg i should be fine, right?

I’m sorry i’m completely clueless when it comes to configs and whatnot.

rytis

PrettyGay

nah man you are safe

Last edited by rytis,

Le meme arrows

Quoted from Regen

I watched a POV demo of a player i found suspicious this afternoon.
Then later on that night i went to play videogames and apparently i had the exact HUD and sensetivity and whatnot the guy in the POV demo had.

Now i’ve deleted and installed a new HUD and am now using my backup config from a few months ago.
Let’s say he was indeed using hacks or w/e, would they have been transfered to my config?
By having installed a new HUD and cfg i should be fine, right?

I’m sorry i’m completely clueless when it comes to configs and whatnot.

It should be enough. However there were cases when hacks transferred through config. So I would just format your hard drive and throw the disk away. Just to be safe.

+rep if helpful.

Last edited by Le meme arrows,

ondkaja

IKEA

lol, watching a demo of another player will not get you his hud…

MightyMe

UbeR |

Next time you download + watch someone else his demo, right click on the demo and set the properties to READ ONLY.

Quoted from ondkaja

lol, watching a demo of another player will not get you his hud…

It does for me.
If I download some other person’s demo and I do not set the properties to READ ONLY I copy their hud + crosshair ( including crosshair scripts where it changes xhair / colour )

I do not know what causes this, but if i change the properties it fixes it.

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from MightyMe

Next time you download + watch someone else his demo, right click on the demo and set the properties to READ ONLY.

[…]

It does for me.
If I download some other person’s demo and I do not set the properties to READ ONLY I copy their hud + crosshair ( including crosshair scripts where it changes xhair / colour )

I do not know what causes this, but if i change the properties it fixes it.

What?? The hud are files stored in tf/resource and tf/scripts, downloading a demo affect none of the files in these folders, or am I completely wrong? I have watched tons of POV demos and still retained my original HUD, even without making it read-only.

Vlijm

UbeR |

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]

What?? The hud are files stored in tf/resource and tf/scripts, downloading a demo affect none of the files in these folders, or am I completely wrong? I have watched tons of POV demos and still retained my original HUD, even without making it read-only.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/152/135/Wat.jpg

i have the same.. mightyme send me a demo and if i watch it i get his same cfg + hud :/

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

Quoted from MightyMe

Err… What?

That property means that you cannot modify the .dem file itself, it should not have any effect on what a program does to other files based on its contents…

I’m with Ond Kaja on this one…

Post the demo please.

fuo

iSlam
BUNCS

You sure it wasn’t the user’s cl_hud_minmode setting messing with your hud?

rarecandy

Yeah I remember getting this when I got some demos from gotfrag some years ago. Don’t remember if I got someone else’s hud but I sure as hell got his binds (esdf to move and some other stuff). Just set your cfg files to read only when watching someone else’s pov.

Regen

nf.
9F

Sorry i’m not going to argue over the plausibility of this happening because it’s too common of a thing to happen to me and to others.
If this has never happened to you then it won’t probably happen now i think, i could post the demo later however.
And no it wasn’t minihud or some weird command, i use OMP hud which has some really easy to discern colourscheme and scoreboard, these were both changed.
Then again my actual sensetivity input got changed completely aswell so it has done some shit to my config.

Califax

dyn.

I have the same issue, but i made my cfg folder read only, instead of the demo.

enwyze

I was watching a Demo from our Demoman a few days ago. He had a Crosshair-Switcher installed. After watching it, I had the switcher too. But the difference was, that my cfg-files weren’t touched by this Script, means i could not find any lines that are related to a Crosshair-Switcher.

Restart helped me.

byte

No hax can be installed via watching a demo.

HUD files are benign and purely visual, they can’t run/execute anything.

Config files, is again the same, however in the config.cfg file or any other “same name”.cfg file e.g. autoexec.cfg etc.

Lines can be added into your config such as.

“exec 2dradar.exe” or
“exec 2dradar” etc…

So all you need to do is go to your config folder, open all the .cfg files and do a search for “.exe” or “execute” or “run” and see what results u get.

The thing is, even if it does find something it still means nothing because, the “2dradar.exe” needs to exist on your hard drive for it to be considered as hax.

So in conclusion you should be fine, but I’d do some housekeeping on the cfg files and just check, at the same time go make your cfg folder read-only ty!

Hope this helps and puts your “omg I’m gonna be caught as a cheater when I’m not” to rest.

Cheers

Byte

Last edited by byte,

IF I HAVE SEX WHEN I’M PREGNANT, CAN MY BABY GET PREGNANT?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »