Forum

Pretty bad FPS issues, not sure why.

Created 20th June 2012 @ 15:44

Add A Reply Pages: 1

izaak²²

Recently I tried to upgrade my graphics card, from a 512mb ATI card, to an NVIDIA GT220 (1GB)

However, the fan on the card itself wouldn’t work and the card was getting as hot as 85 degrees Celsius, so I decided I’d just have to switch back to the old ATI one.

I’ve made sure I’ve got the correct drivers for the card which I’m now using, which is peaking at around 60 degrees, which although isn’t ideal, it isn’t too bad I don’t think.

Essentially my PC is the same as it was before I did anything to my graphics card, yet since the change I’ve been getting fps drops down to 20 or worse, on tf2.

The only other game I’ve tried since has been the Shootmania alpha. I’m unsure what the fps is I’m getting, but it feels fairly smooth. However, I guess I’d have to try other games first to see whether its a tf2 only thing.

I’ve tried a few configs, at the moment I’m using Chris’ Max frames config. However, before I started doing anything to my PC I could happily run the game on the High Quality config if I wanted to, with a playable fps.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I’d really appreciate any help.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from izaak²²

Recently I tried to upgrade my graphics card, from a 512mb ATI card, to an NVIDIA GT220 (1GB)

However, the fan on the card itself wouldn’t work and the card was getting as hot as 85 degrees Celsius, so I decided I’d just have to switch back to the old ATI one.

I’ve made sure I’ve got the correct drivers for the card which I’m now using, which is peaking at around 60 degrees, which although isn’t ideal, it isn’t too bad I don’t think.

85 celcius isnt “too hot” for a graphics card really

izaak²²

well I was noticing some horrific FPS lag with it that high

Vlijm

UbeR |

My laptop also gets fps issues when overheating, everytime i cross 100 degrees it drops to 20 and shuts my pc down after 5 mins :(. Couldnt find a proper fix yet apart from putting a winecooler on/below it which only fixed it for half an hour

izaak²²

But my current card is peaking at around 60 which isn’t really that bad, so I don’t think its the temperature now.

blacky_aq

had the same problem, bought abetter graphic it fixed the shit

izaak²²

At the moment I can’t actually afford one. Which problem do you mean? Like, the exact same problem as I’ve had, where for some reason despite the actual hardware I’ve got in my PC being the same as it was before, my fps has gone down since I’ve changed cards back and forth? Or the one about the temperatures?

izaak²²

Just reinstalled tf2, went on a pub server. Ran out of spawn, fps dropped to 20 and PC shut down…

Nikola

I have the same problem :(

izaak²²

TF2 is now running like a slideshow, but with net graph telling me I have 200 fps and 70 ping.

Add A Reply Pages: 1