Forum

Low fps feel at 60fps

Created 12th March 2012 @ 21:34

Add A Reply Pages: 1

metalpiss

Hey. Recently my GTX 480 broke down and gave me some problems that resulted in having to reinstall windows (7, 64-bit) and to put in my shitty old ATI X800 GTO card. Thing is I got this weird issue with it: even though I have my fps capped at 60 and never really drops below that even on crowded 32-man servers, it feels like waay less. At times it even gets to a 10fps feel even though the fps counter says 60fps. It appears that the more people there are on screen, the worse it gets and the biggest drops happen when pyros are around. The effect of that new sci-fi flamethrower crap gets me to a 2 fps feel…

I run it in windowed mode now because for some reason when in fullscreen I can’t alt-tab in anymore (used to be able to do that just fine before), but I had the same problem in fullscreen.

Also another annoying and weird thing is that I get this slight mouse lag, like I’m moving the mouse with a rubber band attached to it. I have acceleration disabled everywhere, raw input on, vsync disabled, Razer Deathadder (new one) without drivers (could this be it? I had the drivers installed before, but decided not to install them now for some reason) and I never had this issue before.

Other pc specs:
core i7 860 @ 2.8 GHz, no overclock
8 Gb RAM, Kingston HyperX
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard

I’m using Chris’s maxfps config, modified a bit: http://pastebin.com/R23AseZE (EDIT: just realized that I’m an idiot and that I capped the fps at a value lower than the cmdrate…will change that, but fyi I had the same issues with the fps capped at 121)
Launch options: -windowed -noborder -w 1920 -h 1200 -console -novid -useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.
If this kind of issue has been posted before I apologize and I am dumb.

Last edited by metalpiss,

Selek

Dr. med.

I had a similar feel of the game some time ago when I forgot disabling cloning my video output to my computer monitor and my TV. This rubber band feeling describes it quite well. Maybe it is something similar for you.

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

In my experience, having my fps capped at anything at all makes it very jittery and unstable, try uncapping your fps. I’ve also been experiencing the exact same mouse lag acceleration whatever issue. Try this windows 7 mouse fix http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/MarkC_Windows7_MouseFix.zip it fixed it for me.

Mits

Since you’re running tf2 in windowed mode and you’re probably using w7, i’d recomend disabling the aero thingy when running tf2. It causes fps and mouse issues for some people (me included) but it can be easily fixed by going to your “team fortress 2” folder (not tf), right-clicking on the hl2.exe, Properties, compatibility and check “disable visual themes” and “disable desktop compositing” and hit ok. (Note that they might be different since my windows is in portuguese, i just attempted to translate). That might work

edit: I also checked the option to run in compatibility mode for windows xp (sp3), but i don’t really know if that helps me more than the other 2 do

Last edited by Mits,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

My mouse feels weird when i’m running certain websites on Firefox. If you use Firefox, try ending the process “plugin-container.exe”, or something like that

Last edited by Permzilla,

metalpiss

Thanks for the replies guys. However, it seems that I don’t have these issues anymore for some reason :|…just switched back to fullscreen and now I have no more mouse lag and the only fps drops I still have are those from the goddamn new flamethrower, whenever that shitty effect appears on my screen the game almost freezes.

And in response to what’s been replied:
– I don’t have any cloning going on
– I tried disabling the fps cap and had the same result; and I don’t think a mousefix is necessary if you use raw input, might be wrong though
– I did disable desktop compositing and visual themes for tf2, had no effect
– I use chrome not firefox, and I had it closed while playing anyway

Yeah, so I have no idea what happened but it appears to be working fine now…Thanks again for trying to help!

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

I got the same thing (with the same FPS) at times, it is generally because I found there is something running in the background, even having Firefox open on ETF2L can be enough.

Add A Reply Pages: 1