Forum

Cheap PC for TF2

Created 12th March 2012 @ 16:39

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Oggy

As I’m at home for 6+ Weeks I want to buy a PC that is able to run TF2 at 120fps not fussed about much else I want to spend as little as possible. I can build it myself so it works out cheaper was just wondering what spec pc will be able to do that i3? What gfx card (nvidia no ati thx) etc

Any help would be great. Cheers

If anyone has some old stuff laying around and wants to help a cripple send it my way :P

Last edited by Oggy,

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

On lowest settings, an i3 2100 sandy bridge with a 550ti would be overkill for 120fps.
Might even be able to grab something for a lot less. TF2 is quite old :)

atomic-

Quoted from AcidReniX

TF2 is quite old :)

but it’s the most fucked up game ever :D

atmo

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

Maniac

i was running tf2 until last summer with around 90 FPS, with a single core AMD 2ghz CPU, and a nVidia Geforce 7300 LS GPU

I tried to sell them on ebay, i got £5 for the CPU and £2.50 for the GPU ^^

You can run tf2 on pretty much anything now days

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from atmo

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/The_FalconO6/CurrentLogicalPCBuyingGuide/Guide.png

dat is old in pc terms

Le meme arrows

Quoted from Maniac

You can run tf2 on pretty much anything now days

Not really. I have Phenom II x4 955 overclocked to 3.9 Ghz and sometimes I struggle to keep stable 120 fps. My FPS is roughly the same no matter if I use Chris’ Maxframes or Maxquality. Which shows that my CPU is bottleneck in TF2.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Le meme arrows

[…]Not really. I have Phenom II x4 955 overclocked to 3.9 Ghz and sometimes I struggle to keep stable 120 fps. My FPS is roughly the same no matter if I use Chris’ Maxframes or Maxquality. Which shows that my CPU is bottleneck in TF2.

You still haven’t told us what graphics card you have and your reasoning for why it’s your cpu makes no sense.

TviQ

ft.

ive got a amd 955 BE OC to 3.8 and im streaming while playing on 120ish fps no problemo

crouton

LEGO

Not possible :(

Chrix maxframes, gtx 580, i7 2600k and 8gb ram and I still lag horrible every mid..

MIndYe

[hePPa]

955 BE @ 3.9GHz here, on some maps (offical gullywash) I sometimes drop below 120. And GPU shouldn’t be a bottleneck (HD 5870). Running maxframes. What do?

BZAD

some of the following is theory, some of it true and some wannabe expert talk:

when we use chrismaxconfig, we let the CPU do the mainwork in TF2 (lowering AA, AF, texture-details, …) (<– wannabe expert talk)

in theory it is not intelligent to just use chrisconfig for optimal fps gain. (<– theory don't kill me for it)

You have to check every aspect of your system and the adjust the settings to it.

I tried it in "Dear Esther" . In the tunnel passages it started to stutter. But when I maxed AA and AF it stopped. (<– true story)

And I have also 955 and 5870

atmo

Quoted from Waebi

[…]
dat is old in pc terms

1 month?

@M1nd, try dx9frames

Last edited by atmo,

Le meme arrows

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

You still haven’t told us what graphics card you have and your reasoning for why it’s your cpu makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. CPU is always bottleneck in TF2.

Gubbins

Op4

Quoted from Le meme arrows

[…]It makes perfect sense. CPU is always bottleneck in TF2.

Yeah skyride, you asshole.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »