Forum

Is it possible for a computer to 'kill' a mouse?

Created 11th March 2012 @ 20:27

Add A Reply Pages: 1

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

Every mouse I buy seems to die after a 3/4 months. They all die in exactly the same way – they start to ‘stutter’ every 10 minutes or so, they sort of lock for a second or 2, then move to where it should be. Then they start to just turn off at random times until I replug them in.

I’ve been through about 4 quid mice, an mx158, 2 roccat kones, and now this Intellimouse 3.0 is dying – turned itself off today. I’m not much of a rager, I don’t slam my mouse down on my desk or throw it across the room, not like half of the other people it seems, whos’ mice seem to last years.

This has never happened on my laptop, so I feel like this must be something to do with my PC, also been through 3 OS’s so I feel it must be related to my hardware in some way.

Anyone have any ideas, because I haven’t a fucking clue?
Might have to explain it in laymans terms, my knowledge extends about to building a computer – ie, putting things in slots and plugging them in.
Any help appreciated, thanks

eRB

Less Gaming. :P

Tearmisu

Wait? You use a mouse? I thought you used aimbot.

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

Quoted from eRB

Less Gaming. :P

Yes, but back when I played all the time on my laptop this didn’t happen once. And that was like a year and a half.

Quoted from Tearmisu

Wait? You use a mouse? I thought you used aimbot.

Okay, thanks

Spike Himself

TC

It’s not impossible your USB port is giving it too much voltage, but it really is highly unlikely, and I’m sure you’d have noticed by other stuff breaking too.

TviQ

ft.

Quoted from Spike Himself

It’s not impossible your USB port is giving it too much voltage, but it really is highly unlikely, and I’m sure you’d have noticed by other stuff breaking too.

Not if hes overclocked the USB ports just to get a better polling rate :)

Warmaster

-[MG]-
HL

As weird as it sounds, I’ve experienced something similar. Luckily for me changing ports was all I needed to do., but I guess you’ve already tried that!

Still, the weird part is when you’re using a new mouse it’s always okay for a few months but then gradually becomes bad over time :(

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from TviQ

[…]

Lol.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from TviQ

[…]

we have a winner

fuo

iSlam
BUNCS

May I ask which motherboard do you have? It could be faulty.

Also, maybe try using a USB hub if you’ve got one (though it might cause lag).

wpminnows

[PG]

yeah if they chew through the wires

this is evil evil

Hello there.

It is possible, but highly unlikely. Though 4 different mice suggest there is something wrong with your motherboard. But good luck trying to get that swapped on warranty when you explain them it’s killing your gaming mice :D

Though I would suggest trying to update your chipset drivers. If you are using USB 3.0 ports, you should also keep them updated.

Last edited by this is evil evil,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

I believe gravity is the problem here. Dropping your computer on a mouse will most likely kill it. Avoid this.

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

<3 you si

Spike Himself

TC

Or this! http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/JBMerNUwWJ9K5U0DrSeCqm03SinqyN74lCN8ldVywq0HFxDpx2FkUTEZwjajIFSMOqmmIJmGFlGyaDbRC61JiFb8b82QLhG6jsZRizkw-9DWaaw3HwDlPBVzgBiMlJlBKA7-lgAe7TV0KOK0NeOvbSbBbHw (not necessarily this specific one, it’s just the first one that popped up on google :p)

Add A Reply Pages: 1