Forum

Have you tried the *insert name* mouse?

Created 25th April 2011 @ 12:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

Matuka

I’ve used quite a few mice in the past year, going on from a SteelSeries Kinzu to the MX518 and finishing off at the Microsoft WMO 1.1a (And I <3 it to bits).

When I first started out playing Counter-Strike Source, I was hypnotized and misled by SteelSeries – I thought they were the best, foolish me. I purchased a SteelSeries Kinzu and loved it. It was a big upgrade from my everyday Asda optical mouse. This was back when I didn't even know what DPI was. Soon I figured out the flaws of the mouse, it had prediction and acceleration (Bare in mind that at the time I was a CS:S player, majority of us disliked acceleration and still do).

I soon started making excuses such as "It was too small" (Which it really was, my pinky still hurts from all that mouse-mat scraping) or "The sensor is playing up" just to get myself another horror.

The MX518 — Probably the most overrated mouse. I got the 1800 DPI version and loved the shape of it. Whilst at heart I'm a ambidextrous mouse person, I adapted to the MX518 and it's sleek smooth shape, but months after I still haven't adapted to the sensor. Again like the Kinzu the MX518 suffers from prediction, it didn't bother me that much considering that the only two gaming mice that I've used in my life-time had prediction, but I found a old gem in my cupboard that shone above them both, and this was when I was getting into Quake.

Microsoft make good reliable mice in my opinion. And the Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical is one of them. It's that red headed child that lives a society that demands the perfection – and gets neglected. It's dirt cheap usually ranging from £8 online at amazon (My friend says that they sell them at his local store for $4 CAD). Has a great shape and probably one of the best basic sensors around (STMicroelectronics "Aviator" — For you nerds out there). I've tried it out and it has no prediction, no unwanted acceleration. The only cons I've got about it is that it's got no side buttons. But it's not like your life is going to change if you don't have one. It's a very popular mouse in the Quake scene. This mouse is so great that even a SteelSeries sponsored player uses one with a SteelSeries sticker on it rather than the Xai/Kinzu (Got the hint yet? It's great).

brb need to catch some eBreathe.

torden

broder
syster

Big thanks for all the help. I was skeptical to the MX518 as it seemed to me like a slightly worse g5. However, I got to try it at a friend’s and I liked it.

There are 3 improvments vs the g5: Middle mousebutton is easier to click, thumb buttons have a better “click” feedback, and it doesn’t have the braided cable that so easily tangles and breaks. I’m also curious to see how well the right mouse button holds up, as that was the first one to “break” with both my G5s.

I got mine yesterday, and it already feels just as good/better than my old G5. But, there were some things I needed to adjust to:

1. It didn’t track well on my steelseries aluminium mousemat, so I had to change for a cloth one. This, however seems to be an upgrade, and I’m currently enjoying it more than my old mat. But, for anyone set on sticking with their aluminium one, stay away.
2. It uses USB polling rate of 125mhz by default. This = 8ms response time, which is bad. I found a way to fix it here (win7): http://www.ngohq.com/news/15043-how-to-increase-usb-sample-rate-in-windows-vista-7-a.html
Currently using 500mhz, but the process could have been easier, and I know f.ex Exfane hasn’t been able to get it to work on his computer.

KOVACS

Surprised you were still using the Steelseries SX after so long.

It’s pretty much the best mouse surface ever made for the first 2 months or so before it loses the silicone coating and becomes one of the worst as any hint of moisture results in hand firmly gripping to the surface:/

Avago ADNS-3080/E sensor (Logitech G3 Optical, Logitech MX-518 Optical, Razer Diamondback, Razer Diamondback Plasma, Zowie EC1, Zowie EC2) is the only gaming mouse sensor I know of that can’t track properly on the SX.

Last edited by KOVACS,

torden

broder
syster

Yeah, I agree. Was actually lucky to get forced to change mats

IPZIE

SUAVE

RAT5

Martn

You could try a Steelseries HD9 mousepad with the mx518. Guess its inbetween a steel and cloth pad. I got this combination and i like it. (more then cloth pad)

konr

I use the Logitech G500 and the only issues I have with it are that it’s really hard to get used to the censor being at the front end of the mouse, and my pinky finger hangs off the side a bit more than I’d like.

Everything feels like it’s a high sensitivity even when it really isn’t.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3