Forum

stick with vista or go win7 + reformatting question

Created 18th April 2011 @ 18:30

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

dougiie

CotC

heyhey

so Ive finally decided I need to reformat my laptop as its been near 3 years since I bought it. I was wondering if I should stick with Vista as Ive never had any issues with it (yeah I know its bad) or should I go upgrade to win7?

also, since Ive never done anything like this before, just wondering if anyone had any tips or whatever…

eXtreaL

W7 is basically Vista, but better. I’d say go W7, but take 32bit/x86.

Cooler

4Queens

go win7
it’s simple and easy

captain bubblebeard

Quoted from eXtreaL

but take 32bit/x86.

why?

AnimaL

win 7 is faster
vista has better fps in games (by a tiny margin)

ur call

and yes, get x86 if u dont have 4gig ram

Last edited by AnimaL,

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Boot from the win7 cd (usually press f8 or f12 and boot up screen) then say you want to boot from cd/dvd. Navigate through the win7 menu’s then format your hard drive and it’ll install win7 on, the rest if pretty easy after that.

Make sure you get your files/drivers before formatting. I’d go windows 7 loads faster and is more clean than vista. Go 64bit if you’ve got more than 4 gig of ram, although things are starting to be more geared up to 64bit anyway so not much wont work.

n00ne

Never had any issues with vista, its simple, easy and fast. If you dont have any problems with it, why change? I wouldnt!

Shifty

might sound stupid. but incase you are using a wireless connection (idk if this aplys to lan aswell) safe the drivers for the network adapter some where on a usb stick or something.
when i formated my laptop ages ago i couldnt connect to any network cause there where no drivers :D

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Tapley ❤

Make sure you get your files/drivers before formatting

Scorpion

Go XP 64. Best OS ever made.

Saadyst

~

Not sure why anyone would go 32bit if they are putting on a new OS. But then again, I’m clueless as to why people are still daft about Windows XP.

Win7 64bit Dougie

dauk

Quoted from Scorpion

if it’s aint troll than you mister are an opposite of smart person.

Quoted from Saadyst

Not sure why anyone would go 32bit if they are putting on a new OS. But then again, I’m clueless as to why people are still daft about Windows XP.

Win7 64bit Dougie

Basically because most of programs that you’re using was ment to 32 bits, and they’re not that stable on 64. Also lots of problems with for ex. printer drivers and so on with 64.

If you have 4 gigs of ram I would go 32.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Scorpion

+1

Quoted from Saadyst

I’m clueless as to why people are still daft about Windows XP

Because it’s not as bloated and full of useless crap as vista/7. It also works.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Saadyst

~

Quoted from dauk

Basically because most of programs that you’re using was ment to 32 bits, and they’re not that stable on 64. Also lots of problems with for ex. printer drivers and so on with 64.

If you have 4 gigs of ram I would go 32.

Again, in my experience, I can’t recall any significant (or even minor) problems with 64bit Vista and Win7. I don’t understand your comment about stability because I don’t see why they would be any less stable? Same with drivers.

Some good advice in this thread has been about checking to make sure drivers are available for what you are using, for whatever you are moving to.

Saadyst

~

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]
+1

[…]

Because it’s not as bloated and full of useless crap as vista/7. It also works.

What “bloat” and “useless crap” are you referring to? Did I walk into a zone where it’s still cool to like XP and talk FUD about the newer OSs?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »