Created 11th January 2011 @ 17:19

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »

Tehgnarr

is good!

seems to be a patchproblem. our server has this glitch too – very annoying

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

I added -nomaster and +hide_server 1 to our server and it worked fine for two full maps.

kardanadam

TROLLIED

Quoted from SnowiE

I added -nomaster and +hide_server 1 to our server and it worked fine for two full maps.

What are these commands exactly?

We have the same problem in two different servers, according to verygames it’s a problem related to the network ans and multiplay supposes that the match script causes a high amount of CPU load.

Biohazard

IDK

Killer creations as host of dedi here and same issues.

t1gr3

DStM
DStS

yea biohazard we have had the same, looking into it but no solution as of yet! the CSTM server has it happening all the time, dstm only twice (yesterday and today) and the pstm server is alright still, so its only some of them!

There is a thing on vanilla which could be worth a look?!

Last edited by t1gr3,

Cloud

.wldcrd!

If it helps, every game we’ve played the crash has come about 8-10 minutes in.
Usually doesn’t happen after that, but if it does, it’s another 10 minutes later, usually, not so “reliable” on the second crash, if it happens.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Tikcus

I doubt it is a DDOS attack

What makes you say this?

Random people keep giving opinions on this which are only fractionally more informed than if I were to ask my 13 year old sister why it was happening.

Quoted from kardanadam

[…]

What are these commands exactly?

We have the same problem in two different servers, according to verygames it’s a problem related to the network ans and multiplay supposes that the match script causes a high amount of CPU load.

They’re launch options. Unfortunately you can’t add them unless you run your servers on your dedicated server, or have a very helpful GSP. verygames response sounds about right as thats what it looks like until you look into it, the servers CPU/RAM usage is entirely unaffected during the attacks which is incredibly unusual for this sort of thing. I don’t know where multiplay are getting that from though.

From what I’ve heard, removing your server from the valve master list (i.e. the in-game server browser) helps, which if its some random script kiddies running round DoSing servers for no reason would sound pretty bang on.

Spike Himself

TC

Will pixel implement this “fix”?

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Spike Himself

Will pixel implement this “fix”?

Well its done a per-server basis. I’m bassically removing your server from the steam master list, so if you want me to sure.

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

What makes you say this?

Random people keep giving opinions on this which are only fractionally more informed than if I were to ask my 13 year old sister why it was happening.

Shouldn’t you be the one who has to provide arguments about this being a ddos? One guy making attacks on total random servers. Why doesn’t he take aserver down instead of two silly 10 second hickups?

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

They’re launch options. Unfortunately you can’t add them unless you run your servers on your dedicated server, or have a very helpful GSP.

Hide_server 1 in console works without startup rights (although not with all remote access programs).

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from RaCio

[…]
Shouldn’t you be the one who has to provide arguments about this being a ddos? One guy making attacks on total random servers. Why doesn’t he take aserver down instead of two silly 10 second hickups?

Why should he provide arguments to support a reasoning that he genuinely believes to make no sense?

Why they are hickups and not “proper” attacks? For all we know this is some 14 year old script kiddie who didn’t get a reply to his support ticket to valve and is now taking revenge by annoying as many servers as he can find.

Or perhaps there was an earthquake in all datacenters across the globe.

Or maybe it’s just a bug.

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

Well its done a per-server basis. I’m bassically removing your server from the steam master list, so if you want me to sure.

I don’t know. I’m not the gsp. If I was then I’d make damn sure my customers can use their service to the level they paid for.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Tikcus

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

What makes you say this?

It is probably a glitch somewhere, however
It may well be a DoS attack, I doubt it is a DDoS attack

What makes you so sure it is a DDoS, you really think several machines (being nice on numbers) are being used to simultaneously take down each server for ~60 seconds?

Last edited by Tikcus,

its a dos, not ddos, the cpu+ memory is unaffected the game servers on other cores are unaffected the engine on the game server is tied up handling requests, once the attack is stopped the game is where you left it with time counting down,if it was a bug it would happen consistently & the engine would probably crash so you would be back on the default startup map. If you have access & are on linux use the iptables rules ronny + arie worked on. If your on windows, you could try http://www.wantedgov.it/page/62-srcds-query-cache/ , which I’m currently testing at the moment

Biohazard

IDK

Quoted from t1gr3

yea biohazard ive been speaking to justin/kash about them, looking into it but no solution as of yet! the CSTM server has it happening all the time, dstm only twice (yesterday and today) and the pstm server is alright still, so its only some of them!

There is a thing on vanilla which could be worth a look?!

I have added -nomaster and +hide_server 1 in launch options for our match servers. I will let you know if it solves anything tonight.

Ok. Just thinking. I removed the servers from master browser. I think it would be also advised to change ports on the servers? Or removing the server form the browser will eliminate possibility of that happening again?

edit. I will check the above posted solution too

Last edited by Biohazard,

ashkan

I asked Robin about this, and he said that the TF2 team hasn’t been made aware of this particular problem. They have been given the link to this thread now and will look into it tonight (CET). Since the TF2 devs haven’t heard about it and I have yet to hear about any problems on public servers, and I couldn’t find any more forums discussing the problem, it does seem to be a rather confined, albeit significant, problem.

I’ll leave you guys to your experimenting now. Good luck.

PS. I’ve got a game on Sunday, so you must be done by then. Thank you.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »