Forum

PC won't boot, YAY!

Created 9th July 2010 @ 13:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1

LikeThis

Two days ago i woke up and wasn’t too surprised to find my pc wouldn’t boot. When it came around to loading windows it would reboot itself (before the loading screen appeared). I figured my HDD or install was fubar so i formatted a spare HDD and installed a fresh windows on it.

This is where things get a bit odd.

When my pc rebooted as it should during the windows install i was not around babysitting it so when it prompted the question, load Windows 7 or Windows 7 it waited it’s 30 seconds then automatically chose the top option which was the original install that wouldn’t boot earlier. Everything started as normal except it wasn’t activated and asked me to reenter my activation key, so i did and everything worked fine. :D

Curious to see what happened i rebooted my pc again and loaded the 2nd HDD with the fresh install and unsurprisingly it was as it should have been, asking me for some things about the fresh install, PC name, Homegroup password etc.

So everything was grand, i left my pc on that night as i was up all night playing CSS and Borderlands. :} Eventually i got around to sleeping last night and woke up this morning to a lovely surprise.

My pc won’t boot again. This time when it comes around to loading windows it doesn’t reboot, it just sits there on a black screen, fans running at a steadly mid speed, HDD not active. This happens with both installs. It will boot from CDs fine, i’m currently writing this from my trusty Ubuntu Live CD.

Is my 3rd motherboard of 2010 fucked? Siiigh :'(

ups

‘When it comes to loading windows’? By that you mean that the POST utility (the one that checks your hardware state) is working fine and you can check if it BIOS shows your HDD there?

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from LikeThis

woke up this morning to a lovely surprise.

My pc won’t boot again

Do you get to the screen where you’re asked to choose between the two installs at all?

Not sure with win7, but in the good old days when everything still worked fine (i.e. the XP era), one would simply boot from the XP installation CD, enter console, type fixmbr, reboot, and enjoy the rest of the day working at a fully functional computer.
Maybe win7 still has this, I don’t know, but it’s probably worth a try.

LikeThis

Quoted from ups

‘When it comes to loading windows’? By that you mean that the POST utility (the one that checks your hardware state) is working fine and you can check if it BIOS shows your HDD there?

Yep it posts. Everything in the Bios is normal, detecting all devices and hardware.

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Do you get to the screen where you’re asked to choose between the two installs at all?

Not sure with win7, but in the good old days when everything still worked fine (i.e. the XP era), one would simply boot from the XP installation CD, enter console, type fixmbr, reboot, and enjoy the rest of the day working at a fully functional computer.
Maybe win7 still has this, I don’t know, but it’s probably worth a try.

It does, i’ll give it a whirl.
and no i don’t get the screen to choose between OSs. Need to change the boot device to boot between different devices atm.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from LikeThis

and no i don’t get the screen to choose between OSs. Need to change the boot device to boot between different devices atm.

So it just reboots? Must be Windows at work afaik. PC won’t just reboot; instead if it can’t load an OS it will tell you.

I bet if you set your 2nd HD with fresh installation as primary boot device you won’t have any problems. Guessing your main HD is at the end of its lifecycle.

LikeThis

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

So it just reboots? Must be Windows at work afaik. PC won’t just reboot; instead if it can’t load an OS it will tell you.

I bet if you set your 2nd HD with fresh installation as primary boot device you won’t have any problems. Guessing your main HD is at the end of its lifecycle.

Nope, 2nd HDD results in same issue. I can read/write both HDDs from this live CD.
The Windows CD has startup repair utility which scans for issues which would prevent the OS from booting, both pass all checks.

I disabled fast boot on my motherboard which skips typically unessacery checks. The board passes all of it’s own checks too.

So it seems everything is working fine it’s just not working. I checked all cables inside my pc, none of which are loose.

Mystery!

AnimaL

there is option to rebuild ur bootsect in repair

tho it sounds like ur missing windows files

Last edited by AnimaL,

LikeThis

Quoted from AnimaL

there is option to rebuild ur bootsect in repair

tho it sounds like ur missing windows files

Nope, after another reformat and reinstall on 2nd HDD i get same issue. Nothing happens when it goes to boot the device.

I need another mobo to test with i thinks.

Stimpy

Bad sectors? HDD Regenarator 1.71, or Hirens Boot Disk.

Also try a bios reset. (Flash might be best.)

Google is ur friend

Last edited by Stimpy,

Destrutor

Quoted from LikeThis

My pc won’t boot again. This time when it comes around to loading windows it doesn’t reboot, it just sits there on a black screen, fans running at a steadly mid speed, HDD not active.

I used to have this, and I know it’s a compatibility issue with at an nVidia Geforce GTS 250 graphics card. My pc used to sit on a black screen with a mouse for about 20 minutes, my screen would go to sleep, then if I moved the mouse to wake it up again I could usually log in. I changed to a new graphics card, loads up perfectly every time :D

LikeThis

Quoted from Stimpy

Bad sectors? HDD Regenarator 1.71, or Hirens Boot Disk.

Also try a bios reset. (Flash might be best.)

Google is ur friend

Getting the same issue with two separate physical HDDs, not just one with two partitions.

Quoted from Destrutor

[…]
I used to have this, and I know it’s a compatibility issue with at an nVidia Geforce GTS 250 graphics card. My pc used to sit on a black screen with a mouse for about 20 minutes, my screen would go to sleep, then if I moved the mouse to wake it up again I could usually log in. I changed to a new graphics card, loads up perfectly every time :D

If i was using a GTS 250 i’d thank you but i’ve got a completely different issue and a ATI 5770 :)

atrox_

WaAS?

Quoted from LikeThis

ATI 5770 :)

That there’s your problem, real men don’t need gfx cards

Add A Reply Pages: 1