Forum

Modem Dropping from router?

Created 28th June 2010 @ 00:25

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Right, weird issue this, been going on for a few days, and I’m stumped.

Put simply, the modem itself drops connection completely to the router, but not to anything else. Modem maintains a connection to the net, appears “ready” (virgin media, incidentally), blah, but occaisionally the router itself will completely lose connection to it.

Now, restarting the router does nothing, nor does re-connecting the modem while it’s still on. Rebooting the modem however, even if I reboot nothing else, allows the router to then reconnect.

Any ideas? Perhaps a DHCP issue? Seems quite unlikely though to me considering it’s the modem it’s connecting to.

Only happens occasionally, never ingame… yet. Hence why I’m here :)

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Bump, guessing nobody has any ideas though.
I’ll just put them in the fridge if they get too hot I guess ;)

Waebi

‹Con›

haha, fridge might be an option :)
in all seriousness, if you suspect a DHCP problem, then why not try to set fixed IPs? That way, if it happens again, you can at least exclude ONE possible cause :P

Spike Himself

TC

Wild guess based on pretty much nothing: Is the cable between the modem and the router damaged or maybe a bit loosely connected? Also, do you have mice? If the cable is poor it only needs a bit of movement to disconnect.

As I said, wild guess :p

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Cable could POSSIBLY be damaged, but I highly doubt it, since it’s in a place where it never moves, and it’s happened when there’s absolutely noone else in the house to move it, I also know for a fact there are no mice :D

As for the DHCP, the thing is, I -think- they’re set to static IPs, but I don’t really trust the router’s setting for it, it just has a dropdown for “Lease Time” – which is currently set to forever, plus, does the modem even use DHCP? I would assume not.

There is one thing, but I doubt it’s related. Nothing appears in the DHCP client list on the router. Probably because my cable is actually running over powerline, on account of the router being on the other side of the house, but I know there’s no issue with the internal network as it -never- goes down. I can still (network) print, blah, when the internet effs itself up.

Is the modem meant to appear there? I’ve never noticed before.
Either way, it -could- just be a dodgy modem, or a result of the things overheating.
Anyone know of a place to buy modem coolers? :P
If not I might just find a case fan and strap it to the top with a battery attached

Last edited by Cloud,

RareSpycrab

Overheating can have a big affect (effect) on the performance of routers. I used to keep mine ontop of an external hard drive and used to time out 4 or 5 times a game. Then when i turned it off for 10 minutes and left it off the hdd I hardly ever time out anymore. I can’t even remember the last time. Just make sure its not stacked on anything and maybe run a hoover over the vents to get excess dust out.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from RareSpycrab

maybe run a hoover over the vents to get excess dust out.

oh good GOD no

compressed air or nothing. otherwise enjoy that nice static feeling in the air.

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Quoted from octochris

[…]

oh good GOD no

compressed air or nothing. otherwise enjoy that nice static feeling in the air.

Indeed :P
I’m guessing it probably is heat, I’ll have a look into cooling it somehow, case fan mod is looking like a good option to be honest

MaceWindu

I have the same problem, but i have a built in router at my modem. Tried port forwarding etcetera. I have KPN expedia speedtouch modem.
I tried with uPNP on and everything. But i cant seem to fix it.
Anyone having a clue?

Add A Reply Pages: 1