Forum

Erasmus: Helsinki, Kuopio, other country?

Created 24th April 2010 @ 18:55

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Sekhel

Hello.

Next year I will finish my course, and I’m planning to do part of my internship (aka the whole second semester) in another european country, through Erasmus program.

As it stands now, the list is resumed to:

1) Helsinki, Finland – Helsinki Metropolia University of Applied Sciences
2) Kuopio, Finland – Savonia University of Applied Sciences
3) Switzerland, Lausanne – Haute Ecole Cantonale Vaudoise de la Santé

I hate the french language, so Lausanne wouldn’t be the city I would like to go on Switzerland, but it’s the only one my school/course has a protocol with (would love to go to Zurich or Bern, though).
I’ve been searching the net for as much info as possible about all the possible places – anyway, it’s never enough, so:

-Which of those countries/cities/universities would you recommend?

-After finishing my course, I may stay and work in that country… So, how difficult is it to get a job in health sciences (specifically in Radiotherapy (oncologic) area) in those places (assume that I will speak fairly well the the native language, althought not perfectly yet)?

-The weather… Yes, I know it is very VERY cold in Finland (average daily maximum in Kuopio, in January, is around -6ºC) especially when compared to Lisbon, and I believe I won’t have any problem with it, but anyway… Anyone from an “hot” country already lived in scandinavia? How bad is it?

-Any other info about those countries/cities/universities will also be appreciated…

Last edited by Sekhel,

agron

Relic

I was a tutor for erasmus students last september in the University of Helsinki, had a couple of dudes from Spain in my group, they bitched about the cold a bit later in the winter but they seemed to enjoy their stay anyway.

If you live in a city, you dont have to expose yourself to the cold outdoors that much anyway. :p

The working part I can’t comment. If you work with people (customers/patients/whatever) you’ll have to speak understandable finnish ofc.

(I’d go to Lausanne btw. eheh)

I presume you’ve seen Metropolia’s website…?
(http://www.metropolia.fi/en/)

Last edited by agron,

Sekhel

Thanks for the answer.

Well, I can work in permanent conctact with the patients OR I can work in dosimetry (which I really like, since it’s almost like playing a pc strategy game – adjusting beam entries, collimators, wedges, leafs, photons or electrons energies, etc, etc to achieve optimal prescribed distribuiton). In dosimetry I could even be mute… :P

About the sites… Yes, I already checked Metropolia and Savonia’s websites, hoas.fi, expat-blog,com forum, worldweather.wmo.int, etc.

Last edited by Sekhel,

Ottoo

It will be very different for you here. The climate here is obviously much colder that it is there. A couple years ago we had an australian exhange student here for a year. He was shivering all the time, even in the summer :p. It was fun for us & him though. You should def try Finland out :)

Last edited by Ottoo,

xzr

Kuopio is a bit boring in the winter but I absolutely love the city during the summer. The people are wonderful throughout the year though :)

The uni there is a lot smaller than the Helsinki one though.

Sekhel

Quoted from Ottoo

A couple years ago we had an australian exhange student here for a year. He was shivering all the time, even in the summer :p. It was fun for us & him though. You should def try Finland out :)

Summer is ok, it’s much hotter than down here in the winter… :)

Quoted from xzr

The uni there is a lot smaller than the Helsinki one though.

Yeah, but in the other hand, the city is also cheaper, which is allways a plus…

Thanks for everyone who answered/will answer.

suni

[j]\\\'

If you are motivated at learning the language, you wont have any problems finding a job here. (Finland) Specially when you are studying to be a doctor ;)

And yeah, THE INTERNEZ iz great here!

Last edited by suni,

vaxjo

Hey dats!

Quoted from xzr

Kuopio is a bit boring in the winter but I absolutely love the city during the summer.

This bit goes for any city tbh :p

Pedman

sextant

Quoted from suni

If you are motivated at learning the language, you wont have any problems finding a job here. (Finland) Specially when you are studying to be a doctor ;)

And yeah, THE INTERNEZ iz great here!

..but not like the sweeedddeeis internetz!

Contra

Be

come to Antwerp!! (belgium) we got great beers!!!

Sekhel

Quoted from Contra

come to Antwerp!! (belgium) we got great beers!!!

Maybe, but we have better or equally good beers, plus I hate beer, and Belgium is not famous for it’s whisky or vodka… :P

ups

Come Vilnius, Lithuania.

Bring a worm blanket and a gun.

xzr

Quoted from vaxjo

[…]

This bit goes for any city tbh :p

there’s a fair few cities I absolutely fucking hate during the summer too

Contra

Be

Quoted from Sekhel

[…]

Maybe, but we have better or equally good beers…

you have crossed the line right here…

Sekhel

Quoted from Contra

[…]

you have crossed the line right here…

http://www.superbock.pt/EN/conteudo/prod_superbock.asp

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »