Forum

PC doesn't want to boot

Created 21st January 2010 @ 10:14

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

rtan

-9w-

Evening!

PC just doesn’t want to boot up when I first turn it on during the day. I press the power button and the fans are going flat out, and I can hear the gfx and CPU fans going pretty fast too, but nothings on the screen and the hard drives arent booting.

After about 10 minutes of this quite noisy procedure.. fans calm down and hard drives finally boot. I noticed it wasn’t the hard drives booting when I took them out, and watched it feebly try to tick into life. Obviously it’s fucking annoying to wait that long for a PC to turn on, could anyone tell me if it’s quite obviously a hard drive problem or something else, like a power problem?

specs are

i7 920
sapphire ati 5850
xfx x58i mobo
4gb ddr3 ocz ram
600watt OCZ psu

any ideas lads?

Norrland3000

Have any USB-memory plugged in, that it maybe tries to boot on?
Tried with just the systemdisk?

rtan

-9w-

No usb memory nope, only have my keyboard and mouse plugged in to USB.

My disc drives don’t actually work at the moment, my pc is like a box of fail just now :D

Forgot to mention, for a time yesterday after it’s usual carry on it started, but then I got a screen telling me to insert a bootable disc. So I just changed the SATA ports my HD was plugged into and it worked.

rtan

-9w-

anyone?

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

I noticed it wasn’t the hard drives booting when I took them out, and watched it feebly try to tick into life

Just to clarify, does this mean you’ve tried it without the hard drives plugged in and it still takes a long time to start up?

L-iNC

I had a problem where the HDD’s wouldn’t start up unless I removed all devices but one HDD. End up buying new PSU which fixed it.

Try with a different PSU maybe? If you can loan one or something.

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from SnowiE

[…]
Just to clarify, does this mean you’ve tried it without the hard drives plugged in and it still takes a long time to start up?

Yeah just tried it without any hard drives plugged in, and still it does the crazy fans going 100% thing.

Just to point out I only recently got my 5850. It was working fine but maybe my 600w psu isn’t enough? Although I would’ve thought it would’ve been.

Memento Mori

Likely a motherboard problem, likely that it can’t be fixed.

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from Memento Mori

Likely a motherboard problem, likely that it can’t be fixed.

Yeah, it’s either that or a PSU problem. Just want to find out which before I fork out £100 for a replacement.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

I’d say its a PSU problem, dosent just depend on the W of your PSU depends if its a quality make as well. Any chance you can “borrow” someone elses?

beN

PSU unit failure. the videocard needs more amp’s on the two 4 pins

friend of mine had the same problem with the 3870 x2 he had to:

start the system, turn PSU off and real quick on again to boot

Comedian

turn off the power switch, remove the battery on the mobo, wait about 5 minutes, come back, put battery back in, see if you have sucsess

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

OCZ PSUs are usually decent, but it sounds like it’s that or the motherboard. can you get a lend of another PSU to try that one?

octochris

(0v0)

I don’t see where in this thread you guys have the data to point to a PSU/mobo fault. Since it is consistent, it doesn’t sound like either of these.

Have you checked each individual stick of RAM for a few hours?

rtan

-9w-

doesn’t seem to want to boot now no matter how long it’s on for. Tried putting my old 8800gt in and the fans were normal, but still didn’t boot up. Tried different ram and different ram slots; nothing. Tried taking the mobo battery out and back in. No change. Driving me nuts, if only i had a spare psu as that would pretty much solve it. Got a friend coming tomorrow to check so if there’s anymore suggestions on what could be wrong? Beginning to fear the worst and thinking it could be the mobo..

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »