Forum

Message to the "TF2-is-dead" cynics

Created 10th October 2009 @ 13:44

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

n00ne

Evil , cbble strike and fire rarely get played and if they do then only at the very top , on huge lans , by only the top teams , and mostly because of map picks , not because someone likes them or has tons of tactics on them. The only maps played constantly are nuke , dd2 , train , inferno and occasionally mill. Which means tf2 has the same ammount of good maps , if not more.

About tf2 being dead , it really can’t be just because a few good players think it is. Though it really is in desperate need of coverage and sponsors.

appe

Don’t want to scrim, you guys are too good.
Sorry we don’t have 6 players for the Nations Cup match, we’ll give you WO.
Ok, let’s scrim. Can we play badlands and granary please?
Lan sounds like fun, too bad I can’t afford it.
Dead? Look at the amount of Div5 and 6 teams!

ps. TF2 is not dead.

Either help people level up or don’t complain.

Imo.

fJack

k^m

someone said that quake has many good maps but instead it has only rs_zz1, well6, genders, blitzkrieg and ofc xpress3. so 5maps 8(

dm2 dm4 aerowalk ztndm3 ztn dm6

if you’re just talking about qwtf what about canalzone? turtler? bam4? rock?

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

I don’t agree that there are a lack of good maps. There are perhaps a lack of maps that play similarly to granlands.

It seems a lot of teams just throw the toys out of the pram when they have to play a map that deviates from the norm or their preferred class setup, and will scream “shit map”.

Rather than actually think about what they have to do or might change they just fucking whine when the standard play doesn’t produce the goods. There are teams out there who do think and can successfully mix it up, for example Dig’s no-soldier strat on cp_well.

Certainly, gradlands is easier to play because everyone is so familiar with their dynamics it becomes instinctive. But these other maps that force people to approach situations differently and put people out of their comfort zones are by no means bad maps.

The point is, the good players are leaving because valve have simply ignored the competitive side, the beta program is nothing more than a means for us to test their new guns for public play, the hats just keep the public players interested. In regards the competitive scene they’ve done nothing – even when they themselves admit the influence certain classes have over others in 6’s they’ve taken no steps to rectify the problems.

I am terrified someday you will actually make a well-judged, unbiased point and people will just dismiss it as a Fragga-ism :D

So far in the beta we have improved the spectator experience, attempted to rebalance the FAN (so far unsuccessfully), make the Heavy more viable and make existing weapons/unlocks (needlegun/sandvich) more useful.

Boo-hoo they didn’t buff the soldier yet, get over it.
Sure Valve could do more, but we are in a very fortunate position to have our beloved game (which we paid a one off fee for two years ago) developed and tweaked at all.

Iller

tGa

Actually Appe has tried to help people to level up a lot, for example by playing together with the Swedish team Sdx.

dunc

infs
dp.

So far in the beta we have improved the spectator experience, attempted to rebalance the FAN (so far unsuccessfully), make the Heavy more viable and make existing weapons/unlocks (needlegun/sandvich) more useful.

To be fair though.. at what rate is this progressing Ads? Beta has been active for like 4 months now, maybe longer? All they’ve implemented so far is that spec/dead player interface, heavy sandwich (which doesn’t in any way address the primary attribute that is causing heavy to go unplayed in top end competitive TF2) and some piss-poor FaN changes… :)

If they’d brought back the heavy or changed the soldier a bit, we’d have less people whining and desperate to leave the game.

I don’t however agree with Fragga’s opinion that Valve haven’t helped the scene in any way – they clearly have. Not as much as we’d all like, but they have. Tournament mode anyone? This game was designed as a public game :)

Last edited by dunc,

Actually Appe has tried to help people to level up a lot, for example by playing together with the Swedish team Sdx.

I wasn’t talking to/about him, rather posting my opinion on this thread and the matter in general.

I see how it could have looked like I addressed him though- apologies for the confusion.

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

MooBie

boX?2

Well from a personal point of view I’ve never experianced TF2 as competitive as it is now (from a low+ skill bracket). My team can play several wars an evening with no problems getting them and they are always different opponents! It may not be the big fish like css etc but I look around at the gaming scene and I dont see another team based FPS that I can be as active in outside css, its why I still play TF2 and cant see that changing for a fair while.

ps over 300 signups for this seasons etf2l makes me feel happy about the game I play atm.

I can understand we have a lack of ‘big’ teams to drive the game forward in terms of sponsorship and coverage, on that I agree but in relation to this topic, “is TF2 dead”, the answer I have to say is very much no :)

Last edited by MooBie,

Edd

T2P

I would class a game as dead when there are no more cash prizes, no more lans etc.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

To be fair though.. at what rate is this progressing Ads? Beta has been active for like 4 months now, maybe longer? All they’ve implemented so far is that spec/dead player interface, heavy sandwich (which doesn’t in any way address the primary attribute that is causing heavy to go unplayed in top end competitive TF2) and some piss-poor FaN changes… :)

If they’d brought back the heavy or changed the soldier a bit, we’d have less people whining and desperate to leave the game.

Yeah I was a little OTT. Obviously its not all sunshine and lollipops but I’d rather highlight the positive and keep things in perspective. We have made some headway at least, and during a period of massive inactivity for the top level of the community.

I agree with Fragga/dunc that Valve have dodged a lot of major issues so far in the beta, but the very fact that the process is on going is surely a massive plus for the future of TF2.

I just get tired of the constant cynicism.

Skyride

DUCS

dunc’s post

You forgot the needle gun quicker health regen, imo thats fucking awesome.

Although I do tend to agree with Admirable here; its not whats actually happening thats the problem, its the constant cynism and whining thats bringing the game down.

Last edited by Skyride,

kaidus

WiK?

Animal r u new or somthinz?

dunc

infs
dp.

I just get tired of the constant cynicism.

Couldn’t agree more.

julieN1

cQr

I would class a game as dead when there are no more cash prizes, no more lans etc.

yeah pretty much agree.and after i38, which will unfortunately probably fail a bit (being pessimistic but i hope it’ll be great success) what lans are we going to get?

like dunc said, the few lans we have are not worth it to pay to attend to atm.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »