Forum

Which CPU is better for tf2?

Created 22nd August 2009 @ 20:26

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

wOlliee

I am making a new computer and i was gunna choose the Intel Dual Core Duo E7600 or the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 but i dont know which one would be better for gaming mostly tf2

fJack

k^m

i don’t have experience with those cpus but the e8400 works like a charm. i don’t think that tf2 will use all 4 cores of a quad core even with the recently added functionality but i’m sure someone can correct me on that.

Jonni

[FB]

I don’t know the exact specs of both processors but as far as TF2 goes you’re better off with a dualcore than a quadcore. TF2 uses max 2 processors. So if you wanna buy a PC for the sole function of playing TF2, rather spend money on a super-dual-core then a mediocre-quad-core. But since games/operating systems/etc will be able to use more than 2 cores in the future, you could consider buying a Quad-core because that will guarantee performance later.

TF2 is very heavy on the processor so if you’re on a budget, i’d say go for a high-spec dualcore

EDIT: I just checked out the specs of your 2 processors. The dual-core you picked will beat the quad-core hands down.

wOlliee

ok thxz for the help =)

Fanva

or i5 750 wich is out very soon. gonna be awesome. cheap and fast

eoN^

I don’t know the exact specs of both processors but as far as TF2 goes you’re better off with a dualcore than a quadcore. TF2 uses max 2 processors. So if you wanna buy a PC for the sole function of playing TF2, rather spend money on a super-dual-core then a mediocre-quad-core. But since games/operating systems/etc will be able to use more than 2 cores in the future, you could consider buying a Quad-core because that will guarantee performance later.

TF2 is very heavy on the processor so if you’re on a budget, i’d say go for a high-spec dualcore

EDIT: I just checked out the specs of your 2 processors. The dual-core you picked will beat the quad-core hands down.

+1 to all of that

E8— are all bloody good, ive got a E8200 at 3.2GHz on air,if you get a good batch etc you can get the upto 4 sometimes even 5GHz with the right cooling. For gaming tho maybe go for E8500 and oc it a lil upto like 3.5 or something, just look around sites, E8— seem to be amazing for overclocking, also if your going to do that go for a great mobo and you’ll have a great gaming computer :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=793 (prices etc in £)

fJack

k^m

+1 to all of that

E8— are all bloody good, ive got a E8200 at 3.2GHz on air,if you get a good batch etc you can get the upto 4 sometimes even 5GHz with the right cooling. For gaming tho maybe go for E8500 and oc it a lil upto like 3.5 or something, just look around sites, E8— seem to be amazing for overclocking, also if your going to do that go for a great mobo and you’ll have a great gaming computer :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=793 (prices etc in £)

yeah i got my e84 to run at 3.6 sub 40 degrees on air, best chip since the athlon duals.

eoN^

:DD niceee

dauk

so i should allow using tf2 only 2 proc ? cuz i have quad

Skyride

DUCS

Team Fortress 2 only uses 2 cores. Therfore, a Dual Core CPU is better.

i.e:
4x 2.2GHz = 8.8GHz CPU
2x 2.8GHz = 5.6GHz CPU

Although thats technically inaccurate (and if this was an actual computer forum, i’d be getting crucified about now but for this discussion it dosen’t matter). Thing is, because your only going to be able to use 2 cores regardless of how much total power the CPU has, your quad as far as TF2 is concerned is really:

2x 2.2GHz = 4.4GHz CPU

So really, the dual core is better. No game currently out properly takes advantage of quads and its going to be quite a few years before we see it happen.

Pyle

ehum,

Just keep in mind that multitasking will kill the dedicated tf2 function on the duo core because it will load on 1 of the cores… Use Windows 7 and a quad core to devide these tasks over all core’s and keep 2 cores dedicated for tf2. If you’re no multitasker than stick with the duo core.

bm

E8500 is awesome :)

Pyle

my i7 kicks your ass :)

Ares

-HH²-

my i7 kicks your ass :)

No actually not in tf2 there is actually a drop in performance when using a i7 over the E8 cpus :P

wOlliee

the E8400 looks nice so im gunna get that cpu

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »