Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from Bungle

f_blue does have a point.. unemployment is defined as:

number of unemployed / total labour force

so clearly, you cannot bring population into the mix without fucking it all up

in this case population = total labour force

statistical definition of a population: “a finite or infinite collection of items under consideration.”

Bungle

indeed.. which would mean you have to weight by labour force i guess

im no expert though, so i could very well be wrong

maybe f_blue could elaborate?

Marik

Quoted from knuck

These pourcentages are the unemployment rate for each countries in the European Union, and I need to do the average of all those pourcentages :

Austria 6,9
Belgium 8,7
Bulgaria 12,3
Cyprus 16,9
Czech Republic 7
Denmark 4,4
Estonia 10,2
Finland 7,1
France 10,9
Germany 5,2
Greece 27,6
Hungary 10,9
Ireland 13,3
Italy 12,2
Latvia 14,1
Lithuania 13,3
Luxembourg 5,1
Malta 6,4
Netherlands 8,6
Poland 13
Portugal 16,4
Romania 7
Slovenia 8,9
Spain 26,26
Slovak Republic 14
Sweden 7,3
The United Kingdom 7,7

Let’s be clear here coz I’m really not sure what you’re looking for, you’re saying the average of these pourcentages, so is that what you’re looking for ? In which case you just add the pourcentages of your n items and then divide them by n, but I guess you’re looking for the unemployment rate of the european union right ?

iMMo

vier

Quoted from Permzilla

He is confused (I think) because each country has a different population and therefore a different weight towards the total average of Europe, which none of you have taken into consideration.

For example if Germany averages 5.2% and Slovakia Republic 14%, the true average for both countries combined is not 9.6% because Germany has a much bigger weight towards it. This is my opinion anyway, not sure if it’s right.

^this

Sonny Black

(Legend)
SUAVE

2strongatmaths4u

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

admins r froglovers

FROM THE GOD DAMN FROG LOVER’S MOUTH

ESCAPE WHILE YOU CAN SHEEPLE

svins

alus
P.O.P

math is for girls and girls are stupid. also school is for wannabes

Genmix

bobs

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_SDDS/en/une_esms.htm#stat_pres

This document kind of explains how Eurostat gets their results regarding unemployment.

And I would personally, for the sake of getting the right numbers, just use the numbers given by Eurostat concerning the total unemployment rates:

The euro area seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 12.2 % in September 2013, stable compared with August; it was 11.6 % in September 2012. The EU-28 unemployment rate was 11.0 % in September 2013, also stable compared with August; it was 10.6 % in September 2012.

Taken from: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics

Ofcourse if the method of calculation is the prime subject in your project this does not help. Also these numbers are not completely relevant with yours as these entail the EU-28 as opposed to the EU-27(which excludes Croatia).

You could also assume that using the basic formula of adding up the percentages and dividing them by the amount of countries is correct, because I assume the percentages are already weighted accordingly, so using those numbers shouldn’t change anything about the statistical relevance.

Last edited by Genmix,

tavi

A51

I WANTED TO HELP KNUCK, BUT HE SAID GTFO TAVIII

Enders Flame

Oooo Maths problem I got this!

Ah damn atleast 10 people have already solved it!

baimezan

[N☼J]

Quoted from Starkie

[…]
let’s say germany has 0% unemployment and 10 million people but I decide to create my own country with just me living in it, and I dont work
therefore the average unemployment rate in germany and my country is 50%
this is what you get when you dont consider the population (population meaning the total number of people capable of working)

can I come and live too? I want to be that pool cleaner guy.

Bungle

Quoted from Genmix

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_SDDS/en/une_esms.htm#stat_pres

This document kind of explains how Eurostat gets their results regarding unemployment.

And I would personally, for the sake of getting the right numbers, just use the numbers given by Eurostat concerning the total unemployment rates:

The euro area seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 12.2 % in September 2013, stable compared with August; it was 11.6 % in September 2012. The EU-28 unemployment rate was 11.0 % in September 2013, also stable compared with August; it was 10.6 % in September 2012.

Taken from: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics

Ofcourse if the method of calculation is the prime subject in your project this does not help. Also these numbers are not completely relevant with yours as these entail the EU-28 as opposed to the EU-27(which excludes Croatia).

You could also assume that using the basic formula of adding up the percentages and dividing them by the amount of countries is correct, because I assume the percentages are already weighted accordingly, so using those numbers shouldn’t change anything about the statistical relevance.

CASE CLOSED

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

What practical purpose is this statistic supposed to serve, anyway? The difference between various EU countries is so great that I don’t see any meaningful application for an average unemployment rate across all of them.

Genmix

bobs

Quoted from emb

What practical purpose is this statistic supposed to serve, anyway? The difference between various EU countries is so great that I don’t see any meaningful application for an average unemployment rate across all of them.

It can be used as an economical evaluation tool for the European economical space, even though it is a lagging indicator.

Last edited by Genmix,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »