Forum

Internet Providers

Created 5th September 2013 @ 02:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Moving into a new house in a few days and haven’t set up any internet. Which providers should I avoid/go for? Thoughts on plusnet, TalkTalk, Virgin and BT would be helpful. Cheaper the better obviously I don’t wanna pay over £25 per month really.

Quoted from Sideshow

Moving into a new house in a few days and haven’t set up any internet. Which providers should I avoid/go for? Thoughts on plusnet, TalkTalk, Virgin and BT would be helpful. Cheaper the better obviously I don’t wanna pay over £25 per month really.

Fiber or non-fiber?

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Either if you can find fibre for under £25 per month

Skyride

DUCS

OH GOD SAVE YOURSELF THERES A MINIMUM 5 DAY INSTALLATION PERIOD ORDER IT RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

(/me is totally not sitting in my flat tethering off my phone)

Also you won’t get any good advice in this thread because how good one provider is over another is 100% dependent on the area.

Last edited by Skyride,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Skyride

Also you won’t get any good advice in this thread because how good one provider is over another is 100% dependent on the area.

Including customer service?

Jörge

TSUN~
derptex9

I’m currently with plusnet because I’d heard such good things about their customer service, and since we couldn’t get fibre here there weren’t THAT many options, and they had a good price.

Very mixed results so far, it’s fine most of the time I’d say, but can get ping spikes (into the thousands) which make it unplayable, or just a constant 300+ which does the same (with lots of choke and loss).
Contacted them and they made me take a wireshark recording etc, and so they made sure all TF2 packets were being prioritised at the top level, which was great and shows that their customer service is actually decent, however it sadly hasn’t solved all my issues.
I think something must be wrong though, since I’ll be uploading stuff and housemates watching a stream, then I’ll stop the upload and try to play games only for them to be unplayable, but the whole time the stream for my housemates works no problamo?

In contact with them again so will hopefully get it sorted.

td;dr
Plusnet – Great price, good customer service, currently having some issues but fine most of the time.

Last edited by Jörge,

konr

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Including customer service?

Obviously not, so why be a smartass?

Quoted from konr

[…]Obviously not, so why be a smartass?

Spike Himself

TC

wow hold your horses.. i dont know what you thought i was trying to get at but the question was genuine..

Muerte

elev8

Had Virgin fibre since they made it available in my area. I live, quite literally, 200m from the nearest ‘hub’-place-thingy-virgin-bigbuildingplace-thing.

Had impeccable service with them on their top internet package….up until about a month or two ago. Since then, it has gone to absolute wank. HUGE fluctuations in the speeds I get. Within the space of 5 minutes it can change from near maxing out at around 100 down and then dropping to a mere 0.5 down. It happens more often during the evening…right when the team is scrimming -____-

That said, called up custom service a few weeks back. Fairly helpful. They said it could be the modem (their ‘Virgin Hub’) was choking it so they sent an engineer the next day and provided their new hub. Helped out somewhat, but still pretty fucked.
I’m not the only one either. Know of 4 or 5 others that have had similar problems. However, all those guys are located in South London, so could just be issues within the area…meh…

I’m yet to contact them again. Really can’t be arsed. It’s much less frequent now, but when it does spike, it hurts. Badly.

Virgin has by far the best customer service I have come across in terms of ISP’s.

Tomu

BoyBrigade
MEGA$$

Virgin have the best customer support. Anything that isn’t Virgin or BT don’t bother with.

Go for fibre if possible, if not just go for BT. Anything down the BT lines that isn’t a BT paying customer has the chance of their net being toggled to provide better connection for the BT customer. (You’ll just notice a slower download speed but it’s not likely to affect your game connection.)

BT Infinity compared to Virgin fibre have different things going for them. On the one hand there’s Virgin who are a good company and they can have high speeds but they can be quite unstable in their service (dependent on area obv) but that can cause some frustrating days for them to fix it.

Whereas with BT they seem to be more stable but you might not get a higher speed than on Virgin and BT customer support sucks balls. At least with Virgin just threaten with leaving after you’ve been with them for a year and they’ll do anything to keep you if you can’t get your way but with BT they do everything they can to not help you.

Jörge

TSUN~
derptex9

Feel the need to comment re: Virgin.

I’ve had Virgin for the 2 years previous to where I am now, first was ok, on the 50mb package and it was pretty good.
Was on the ’60mb’ package last year, and it was horrific, poor performance almost all year, and pretty bad customer service, being difficult to contact without having to pay. Spent 30mins on the phone to them at one point, only to find out nothing I had spoken to the person about had actually happened, so I had to go through the entire process again.
I personally will be avoiding them in the future if possible.

Trane

Never had any probs with plusnet or sky.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

I’m in the manchester area btw, near withington if anybody else is round there and has heard any more specific things since it’s area dependent.

RIP IN PEAS

I have really bad experience with TalkTalk, Virgin is alright and so is Sky. No idea about BT.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »