Forum

Pennys Book Club

Created 18th November 2012 @ 22:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Monkeh

.:ne:.

Quoted from Hallow

My school has me reading Lord of the Flies. Can I write an analysis based of off the Simpsons-episode only or do I have to actually read the book?

Read it, it’s a good book. I had to write an essay on it for my GCSE English and one of the options was to re-write the ending. I was into Stephen King at the time so it turned into a gore fest of older children butchering and eating the little ones until a ship passed close by the island…but too late, there was only 1 old child left, weary and weak and unable to signal he collapsed into the sea and died as well….happy days. It was a literary masterpiece.

My favourite books of all time, (being a massive geek and loving sci-fi and fantasy stuff), are The Hyperion Cantos a set of 4 sci-fi books that will blow your mind, epic, epic stuff with great characters. You won’t regret trying this if you have any affinity at all with sci-fi.

The already mentioned Song of Ice and Fire, (Game of Thrones), from papa George, are also epic and amazing and full of back stabbing, plots within plots and characters so vicious they could eat the Borgias. The 4th book, (which is actually the 5th), is a bit slow, but apart from that, the whole series is so engrossing and compelling, addictive reading.

Also well worth reading the Dune series of books too, they’re quite special. They get quite weird but are constantly interesting and thought provoking, plus you get a cult of women proficient in orgasm amplification enslaving men all over the place, which is genius.

ash

(Legend)
:D

Hyperion cantos is simply amazing. First Book has its lenghths, but very much worth the read.

Tommeh

‹Con›

Quoted from Clark

I became clearly addicted to Jack Higgins’ books. Literally ate The Eagle Has Landed and The Eagle Has Flown. Reading Sheba at the moment.
Nothing I hate there really, what I love is, I think, the style. Quite easy to read by a not native speaker. Highly recommend.

+1, good books

recently finished When Nietsche Wept by Irvin D. Yalom, interesting to say the least, especially if you’re into basic philosophy/psychology :)

almightybob

.ps

Anything by Iain M Banks. I want to live in the Culture.

Christopher Brookmyre is excellent too. They’re almost all set in, revolve around or involve Scotland and Scottish themes though, so you might not get some of the references if you’re not from here.

I really like the Song of Ice and Fire series. Big themes, excellent characterisation, and plenty of carnage.

Chicken George

Read Catcher in the Rye

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from Monkeh

characters so vicious they could eat the Borgias

Unrivaled originality in this acclaim.

atmo

Quoted from ash

Hyperion cantos is simply amazing. First Book has its lenghths, but very much worth the read.

Great books, pretty terrifying too!

wrex

Requiem for a Dream

Monkeh

Quoted from ilike2spin

[…]

Unrivaled originality in this acclaim.

Yes yes, I nicked that off of the blurb of one of them…sue me :p

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Song of fire and ice series is quality, im not usually a big reader but i couldn’t put the books down. It started to go a bit dull after the “Wedding” ;) but picked it self back up again.

The one thing that did disturb me was reading the sex scenes in the book about 14 year olds and then realising thats actually all come from the mind of a fat smelly old father christmas looking guy.

Trath

If your willing in to nerdy fantasy stuff like Lord of the Rings / Harry Potter style “fake world” stories, I think you’ll like The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon).

Trath

btw reading is for nerds

JimTheMagicJumper

!

http://i.imgur.com/YTgOb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rGS31.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eXR3R.jpg

Monkeh

Quoted from Trath

btw reading is for nerds