Forum

Mechanical keyboards

Created 26th October 2012 @ 14:03

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

FIR

SnG

Just out of curiosity, why is the MX blue generally shunned for gaming? I love the clicky sounds and never had problems gaming with it, or feedback problems either. I find blues generally easier to type/game with as the keys dont feel as rubbery or sticky :O

nvc

Quoted from FIR

Just out of curiosity, why is the MX blue generally shunned for gaming? I love the clicky sounds and never had problems gaming with it, or feedback problems either. I find blues generally easier to type/game with as the keys dont feel as rubbery or sticky :O

MX Brown and MX Blue switches are near identical in ‘feel’, but the MX Blue gives you that ‘audible’ click of which the majority of typists will find therapeutic, and some would say the distinct combination of sound and feel will help increase WPM. The only real technical difference however, is that the the actuation and release points are right on top of each other with MX Brown switches. Whilst with MX Blue switches, the release point is slightly higher than the actuation point. So whilst nine times out of ten this won’t effect your game, there is a chance that the higher release point may cost you if the double tap doesn’t register because you didn’t lift the key high enough. The flip side though, is that the higher release point helps reduce accidental key presses and thus spelling mistakes, depending on how you type… i guess.

In other words, the main benefit of MX Brown over MX Blue is that you can hover over the actuation point as it’s release point is just about there too, which helps for double tapping and particularly RTS style games. Purely linear keys such as Black(heavy)/Red(light) are considered better for FPS games because we’re likely to bottom them out whilst playing TF2 anyway (spamming WASD or whatever). It’s for this reason that they’re also considered inferior to Brown/Blues for typing as they are more likely to tire you out, and potentially increase the amount of mistakes you make when typing.

TL:DR If you already have a MX Blue keyboard there’s no use in buying one with another switch type if you’ve had no problems. Instead, if it breaks that is, see the definition of a good mouse or keyboard from a gamers perspective as one that will not make you a better player, but more one that will not potentially make you a worse one.

In their most basic form, but not limited too:
– MX Blue: Work
– MX Red(light)/Black(heavy): Play
– MX Brown: Work and Play

Hope that helps.

Last edited by nvc,

Jörge

TSUN~
derptex9

As others have said, while some switch types might be ‘more suited’ to some things than others, in the end it’s a personal thing.

I’m currently using a Poker with blacks, and I love it.
I’ve gone through quite a few boards in the last year, including the 4 main switch types as mentioned before, and from various companies (Ducky, Filco, Noppoo, Keycool, KBT)

See if you can try some boards out, work out your budget, and what you actually want from the board (numpad, backlighting etc)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

I couldn’t stand blacks. At high speeds it takes too much pressure to press quickly enough while moving over the keyboard.

FIR

SnG

Quoted from nvc

[…]

words of enlightenment

ah, thanks for clearing it up :D

xiuxiu

[{ORAL}]

does anybody know if theres (even) cheaper alternatives to the Raptor-Gaming K1?

from what i’ve read its one of the cheaper mech keyboards (its around 50€ in germany). it has black switches + key-rollover afaik. i have never owned any mechanical keyboard, but im curious, and i dont have any specific requirements.

[spoiler]NVC PLEASE HELP[/spoiler]

edit: just found Cherry G80-3000LPCDE-2, seems better, as in no shitty LEDs, dunno about its key rollover tho

Last edited by xiuxiu,

ell

(ETF2L Donator)

I’ve been playing with a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry MX Black (linear) switches for over a year now and I’ve been very pleased with it.

My major concerns before getting it were that the black switches would be to heavy and that linear switches would be ill fit for typing. None of them proved to be true. I wouldn’t switch to reds if I got the chance and the lack of bump and/or click benefits my play more than it hurts my typing, if at all. I actually like typing with linear switches, even though this isn’t a common standpoint among typists.

I also highly recommend getting a keyboard without a numpad, it will allow you to place the keyboard and mousepad closer together in front of you. It’s just so much more comfortable, especially if you have to fit in a 45 cm wide mousepad.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from nvc

[…]
long story

Just one sidenote is that MX Blue switches are used in RTS gaming like Dota 2, Starcraft etc, because you don’t mishit keys that much. But FPS gaming prefer Mx Red or Black. I prefer the reds, but it’s a personal preference.

Btw: You can order a ‘Try-out’ pack of switches. Dunno where, but they exist :)

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Quoted from ell

I also highly recommend getting a keyboard without a numpad, it will allow you to place the keyboard and mousepad closer together in front of you. It’s just so much more comfortable, especially if you have to fit in a 45 cm wide mousepad.

But you need numpad for fast data entry…

xiuxiu

[{ORAL}]

im finding the Cherry G80-3000LPCDE-2 for 40€ now. (black linear switches). seems like the best mech keyboard so far

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from xiuxiu

im finding the Cherry G80-3000LPCDE-2 for 40€ now. (black linear switches). seems like the best mech keyboard so far

No NKRO, like all Cherry keyboards afaik.

Random

iveR

Corsair K90
ur welcome.

Skyride

DUCS

Have to +1 the Filco Majestouch. Having tried out a ton of different mechanical keyboards, I still think they are the best quality. I got one in Blues at i43. The keycaps are a bit shit (matte finish) so I’d suggest changing them as soon as they start to go shiny. Otherwise amazing.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2