Forum

New speakers

Created 30th August 2011 @ 08:40

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Pyle

Quoted from Mordi

Go for 5.1 mate! z-5500 is seriously the bomb, can’t recommend this harder =)

This.. don’t buy the newer version of it because the older is better tech wise.. newer only looks better :)

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Does the A5 for instance _require_ an amp to sound good? Same goes for all the recommended speakers, cause I don’t feel like buying an amp as expensive as my speakers.

E: Can’t find the Eltax anywhere in Sweden and I rather not order it from abroad.

Last edited by Rake,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

The AudioEngine speakers are active/powered, so they don’t need any amping. The amp is built inside the speaker. The advantage of this is that the speaker has its own amp built so spec. Idk about the A5’s but active/powered speakers can also have seperate amps for the tweeter/woofer which is even better. Another advantage is that the crossover (splitting of frequencies for the woofer/tweeter) is done on line-level signal, so before it’s amped up. I don’t know the details of this but supposedly that leaves the signal more intact. So all that hifi nonsense with seperate amps and passive speakers is actually detrimental to sound quality.

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

So an amp will improve the sound quality, but it isn’t bad without one? I might consider upgrading at a later date, to maybe a sub/more speakers and an amp. How would that work with the A5? Also, is the bass powerful in the A5’s, compared to say, z5500? I listen to bass-heavy music and I like feeling the bass there, since otherwise it sounds kind of lackluster. I’m gonna go test-listen to the z5500’s at a friends place today most likely, to see how they are.

E: now that koeitje pointed it out, I realized that I completely misread/interpreted what skeej said :D

Last edited by Rake,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

A5 can’t use an external amp. It’s an active speaker, it’s got an amp build in and you can’t even use another one.

My amp costs more than my speakers. Luckily I can still hook up other ones ;).

Last edited by Koeitje,

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Ah okay, so either I buy an amp + passive speaker combo, or I’ll buy an active speaker. Can’t be both? So if I buy an active speaker, no real chance of upgrading.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Rake

Ah okay, so either I buy an amp + passive speaker combo, or I’ll buy an active speaker. Can’t be both? So if I buy an active speaker, no real chance of upgrading.

If you want to upgrade from a ~300 euro speaker+amp combo you’ll probably want to upgrade both components anyway. Upgrading is overrated. You should buy speakers that you’ll be comfortable with for a decent while.

Besides, good audio gear still gets good value on the used market. So you can upgrade by selling your old speakers.

Technically you cán make your active speakers sound better by buying a good preamp or buffer, but I think you’ll be getting into snakeoil territory there. There’s not much more to it than matching input/output impedance. Extra gear will always raise your noisefloor. Some audio people say that the slight added noisefloor is worth the impedance matching (which in its turn makes for supposedly better dynamics, quicker transient response, and better frequency response).

But this is 4 to 5 figures audiogear talk ;)

I might have been a little harsh on passive amped gear in my previous post. Koeitje is right… haven’t heard his setup but I’m sure it sounds awesome. Best thing is to look on the 2nd hand market anyway and just go listen to the gear that people offer, and pick what you think is best.

Speaking of bass-love and upgrading: You can always add a (passive or active) subwoofer to your setup later, so don’t base your decision on a setup having a subwoofer or not. ANY seperate subwoofer is bound to be better than those 2.1-set subwoofers anyway.

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Well, knowing that audio products don’t really get outdated, what would be a good subwoofer for when I possibly will upgrade? I’ve kind of set my eyes on the A5, since I can get them quite easily and they seem to perform really well from reading reviews.

Last edited by Rake,

atmo

Quoted from Koeitje

A5 can’t use an external amp. It’s an active speaker, it’s got an amp build in and you can’t even use another one.

wtfmireading

Pyle

I never got the Z5500 above 50% volume.. :)

+ About the bass… Have you seen the sub :D ?

naMu

LAITON
KUKKO!

yeah he was at my place listening my z-5500’s. The sub is just massive and noisy, i could break my windows and harass my neighbors with that shit. Anyways im happy with the set and I only run it as a 2.1 since i dont feel like i need the surround anyhow. Possibly will install the satellites when i get my movie theater at home project on it’s way.

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

While the z5500’s sounded good enough, I think I’ll go for the A5’s and just upgrade to an additional subwoofer later on. I think that will last me for quite a long while, and since they are quite reviewed in general I feel like they will fit my needs until I end up building a good HT system at some point with surround sound.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Pyle

I never got the Z5500 above 50% volume.. :)

+ About the bass… Have you seen the sub :D ?

It’s only a 10″-er, which isn’t really enough to go low. You really need 12″ minimum.

http://www.lbaileyht.com/svsfinal.jpg

Last edited by Koeitje,

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

For that kind of money I can recommend these babies: http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/digital-music-solutions/computer-speakers/companion-5-speaker-system/

They am da boss :D

davesan

epx^
Panda

Quoted from Monkeh

For that kind of money I can recommend these babies: http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/digital-music-solutions/computer-speakers/companion-5-speaker-system/

They am da boss :D

please dont buy these! bose are just a brand, their products are very average for the price.

quick question, are these for gaming or movies?

Last edited by davesan,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »