Forum

New speakers

Created 30th August 2011 @ 08:40

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Tjäna, looking for a 2.1 set. I was considering the Z623, but was thinking I might get more options from here. I don’t really want to pay more than 200 euros though, but if something is just golden above that I might consider. Have quite a big apartment, so something with a bit of oomph would do great.

Mordi

≧◡≦

Go for 5.1 mate! z-5500 is seriously the bomb, can’t recommend this harder =)

atmo

Surround sound is bollocks.

Buy some good 2.0 speakers.

Oscar

Cheers

Acoustic Energy Aego M would probably be my recommendation.

Similar price to the Z623 but much better sound quality.

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Thanks for the replies guys.

I’m not sure I feel like setting up a 5.1 system right now. Besides, from reading reviews the Z5500 and its follower have pretty bad midtones. I’m primarily looking for a 2.1 set. Though, as I said, I’m open to suggestions, should there be a great 5.1 set for only a bit more money.

Another thing is, should I consider a new sound card? Atm I’m running off the integrated realtek audiocard on the P8P67 rev 3.0. From what I read, when using spdif the difference is negligible. Is that true?

Last edited by Rake,

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Bump!

Mordi

≧◡≦

Quoted from atmo

Surround sound is bollocks.

When you’re listening to music, or watching a movie?

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Bump, any more suggestions? Audiophiles, where are you skeej and koeitje.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

All 5.1 and 2.1 solutions have bad mids. Especially the 70-180hz region suffers greatly.

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

So what do you suggest? Any okay 2.0, in the sub-300€ pricerange?

Last edited by Rake,

Skyride

DUCS

I have Z5400’s. They’re more than 4 years old and still going great. I’d totally recommend them.

Admittedly, they have pretty shit mid, but the sub has a much wider range than a typical sub to compensate a little.

The problem is that the people here saying “5.1/2.1 shit”, really mean “PC Speakers are shit”. And you know what, they’re actually right to some degree. However unless you’ve got plenty of space for amps and ~600€ to spend you don’t really have an choice.

Just go with a decent 2.1/5.1 set. I actually don’t have the rear/center speakers connected to my Z5400’s so they’re just really expensive 2.1 speakers bassically. Fucking sick though, probably one of the best purchases i’ve ever made.

edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-Z-5400-Digital-Sound-System-5-1-Dolby-Speakers-/120770812930?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c1e805c02

Last edited by Skyride,

Poop

TSUN~
[PG]

why, poop? why? :/

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Skyride

I have Z5400’s. They’re more than 4 years old and still going great. I’d totally recommend them.

Admittedly, they have pretty shit mid, but the sub has a much wider range than a typical sub to compensate a little.

The problem is that the people here saying “5.1/2.1 shit”, really mean “PC Speakers are shit”. And you know what, they’re actually right to some degree. However unless you’ve got plenty of space for amps and ~600€ to spend you don’t really have an choice.

Just go with a decent 2.1/5.1 set. I actually don’t have the rear/center speakers connected to my Z5400’s so they’re just really expensive 2.1 speakers bassically. Fucking sick though, probably one of the best purchases i’ve ever made.

Eltax monitor iii + any decent brand 2nd hand amp (NAD, Marantz, Denon, the better Sony & Pioneers etc) will do better.

z5500 or z5400 sub sounds like a turd. Might sound good if you have never heard an actual subwoofer (SVS, Velodyne, BK Monolith etc). Hell, I don’t even consider the z5500/5400 to have a subwoofer, it’s a bass speaker, it can’t even produce sub-bass properly (what you are hearing is distortion and mid-bass).

Of course a 2.1 setup can work, the AVI Neutron Five 2.1 works very well for example.

Last edited by Koeitje,

dauk

audio engine a2

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from dauk

audio engine a2

You even get a free computer case with those speakers

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »