bpf

rockit

Quoted from Septique

[…]

How?

Games -> Activate a Product on Steam…

Skyride

DUCS

To be honest though, conserved sequences are similar or identical sequences that occur within nucleic acid sequences (such as RNA and DNA sequences), protein sequences, protein structures or polymeric carbohydrates across species (orthologous sequences) or within different molecules produced by the same organism (paralogous sequences). In the case of cross species conservation, this indicates that a particular sequence may have been maintained by evolution despite speciation. The further back up the phylogenetic tree a particular conserved sequence may occur the more highly conserved it is said to be. Since sequence information is normally transmitted from parents to progeny by genes, a conserved sequence implies that there is a conserved gene.

It is widely believed that mutation in a highly conserved region leads to a non-viable life form, or a form that is eliminated through natural selection.

Highly conserved DNA sequences are thought to have functional value. The role for many of these highly conserved non-coding DNA sequences is not understood. One recent study that eliminated four highly-conserved non-coding DNA sequences in mice yielded viable mice with no significant phenotypic differences; the authors described their findings as “unexpected”.

Many regions of the DNA, including highly conserved DNA sequences, consist of repeated sequence (DNA) elements. One possible explanation of the null hypothesis above is that removal of only one or a subset of a repeated sequence could theoretically preserve phenotypic functioning on the assumption that one such sequence is sufficient and the repetitions are superfluous to essential life processes; it was not specified in the paper whether the eliminated sequences were repeated sequences.

The TATA promoter sequence is an example of a highly conserved DNA sequence, being found in most eukaryotes.

Septique

Doesn’t work for me

FIR

SnG

Quoted from Skyride

DNA related stuff

very insightful.

dougiie

CotC

Quoted from Skyride

To be honest though, conserved sequences are similar or identical sequences that occur within nucleic acid sequences (such as RNA and DNA sequences), protein sequences, protein structures or polymeric carbohydrates across species (orthologous sequences) or within different molecules produced by the same organism (paralogous sequences). In the case of cross species conservation, this indicates that a particular sequence may have been maintained by evolution despite speciation. The further back up the phylogenetic tree a particular conserved sequence may occur the more highly conserved it is said to be. Since sequence information is normally transmitted from parents to progeny by genes, a conserved sequence implies that there is a conserved gene.

It is widely believed that mutation in a highly conserved region leads to a non-viable life form, or a form that is eliminated through natural selection.

Highly conserved DNA sequences are thought to have functional value. The role for many of these highly conserved non-coding DNA sequences is not understood. One recent study that eliminated four highly-conserved non-coding DNA sequences in mice yielded viable mice with no significant phenotypic differences; the authors described their findings as “unexpected”.

Many regions of the DNA, including highly conserved DNA sequences, consist of repeated sequence (DNA) elements. One possible explanation of the null hypothesis above is that removal of only one or a subset of a repeated sequence could theoretically preserve phenotypic functioning on the assumption that one such sequence is sufficient and the repetitions are superfluous to essential life processes; it was not specified in the paper whether the eliminated sequences were repeated sequences.

The TATA promoter sequence is an example of a highly conserved DNA sequence, being found in most eukaryotes.

Some of the earliest theories of life were materialist, holding that all that exists is matter, and that all life is merely a complex form or arrangement of matter. Empedocles (430 BC) argued that every thing in the universe is made up of a combination of four eternal “elements” or “roots of all”: earth, water, air, and fire. All change is explained by the arrangement and rearrangement of these four elements. The various forms of life are caused by an appropriate mixture of elements. For example, growth in plants is explained by the natural downward movement of earth and the natural upward movement of fire.[6]
Democritus (460 BC), the disciple of Leucippus, thought that the essential characteristic of life is having a soul (psyche). In common with other ancient writers, he used the term to mean the principle of living things that causes them to function as a living thing. He thought the soul was composed of fire atoms, because of the apparent connection between life and heat, and because fire moves.[7] He also suggested that humans originally lived like animals, gradually developing communities to help one another, originating language, and developing crafts and agriculture.[8]
In the scientific revolution of the 17th century, mechanistic ideas were revived by philosophers like Descartes.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from dougiie

[…]

Some of the earliest theories of life were materialist, holding that all that exists is matter, and that all life is merely a complex form or arrangement of matter. Empedocles (430 BC) argued that every thing in the universe is made up of a combination of four eternal “elements” or “roots of all”: earth, water, air, and fire. All change is explained by the arrangement and rearrangement of these four elements. The various forms of life are caused by an appropriate mixture of elements. For example, growth in plants is explained by the natural downward movement of earth and the natural upward movement of fire.
Democritus (460 BC), the disciple of Leucippus, thought that the essential characteristic of life is having a soul (psyche). In common with other ancient writers, he used the term to mean the principle of living things that causes them to function as a living thing. He thought the soul was composed of fire atoms, because of the apparent connection between life and heat, and because fire moves. He also suggested that humans originally lived like animals, gradually developing communities to help one another, originating language, and developing crafts and agriculture.
In the scientific revolution of the 17th century, mechanistic ideas were revived by philosophers like Descartes.

I think you have a point, however Dance does not leave behind clearly identifiable physical artifacts such as stone tools, hunting implements or cave paintings. It is not possible to say when dance became part of human culture. Dance has certainly been an important part of ceremony, rituals, celebrations and entertainment since before the birth of the earliest human civilizations. Archeology delivers traces of dance from prehistoric times such as the 9,000 year old Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka paintings in India and Egyptian tomb paintings depicting dancing figures from c. 3300 BC.

One of the earliest structured uses of dances may have been in the performance and in the telling of myths. It was also sometimes used to show feelings for one of the opposite gender. It is also linked to the origin of “love making.” Before the production of written languages, dance was one of the methods of passing these stories down from generation to generation.

Another early use of dance may have been as a precursor to ecstatic trance states in healing rituals. Dance is still used for this purpose by many cultures from the Brazilian rainforest to the Kalahari Desert.

Sri Lankan dances goes back to the mythological times of aboriginal yingyang twins and “yakkas” (devils). According to a Sinhalese legend, Kandyan dances originate, 250 years ago, from a magic ritual that broke the spell on a bewitched king. Many contemporary dance forms can be traced back to historical, traditional, ceremonial, and ethnic dance.

Tobyy

TEZC
Pixie <3

I get you but when I was traveling in Damascus, which was conquered by Alexander the Great. After the death of Alexander in 323 BC, Damascus became the site of a struggle between the Seleucid and Ptolemaic empires. The control of the city passed frequently from one empire to the other. Seleucus I Nicator, one of Alexander’s generals, made Antioch the capital of his vast empire, which led to the decline of Damascus’ importance compared with new Seleucid cities such as Latakia in the north. Later, Demetrius III Philopator rebuilt the city according to the Greek hippodamian system and renamed it “Demetrias”.

bpf

rockit

Quoted from Septique

Doesn’t work for me

yeah, cos it wont work before friday as i said

dougiie

CotC

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

I think you have a point, however Dance does not leave behind clearly identifiable physical artifacts such as stone tools, hunting implements or cave paintings. It is not possible to say when dance became part of human culture. Dance has certainly been an important part of ceremony, rituals, celebrations and entertainment since before the birth of the earliest human civilizations. Archeology delivers traces of dance from prehistoric times such as the 9,000 year old Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka paintings in India and Egyptian tomb paintings depicting dancing figures from c. 3300 BC.

One of the earliest structured uses of dances may have been in the performance and in the telling of myths. It was also sometimes used to show feelings for one of the opposite gender. It is also linked to the origin of “love making.” Before the production of written languages, dance was one of the methods of passing these stories down from generation to generation.

Another early use of dance may have been as a precursor to ecstatic trance states in healing rituals. Dance is still used for this purpose by many cultures from the Brazilian rainforest to the Kalahari Desert.

Sri Lankan dances goes back to the mythological times of aboriginal yingyang twins and “yakkas” (devils). According to a Sinhalese legend, Kandyan dances originate, 250 years ago, from a magic ritual that broke the spell on a bewitched king. Many contemporary dance forms can be traced back to historical, traditional, ceremonial, and ethnic dance.

I think your making a valid reference to Werner Herzog’s search of Ecstatic Truth.

These are a selection of my own Herzog moments, but I could have set down a score more. Of course, they may not be altogether accurately recalled, but I think the director will forgive me. When I taxed him with his public image as a tyrannical presence on the set, he bristled: “In that film (Burden of Dreams) there is no testimony, there is no witness who has ever seen me direct who has ever used the word ‘tyrannical’. It’s not unfair, it’s outright wrong. I work like a surgeon doing open-heart surgery. I am very quiet, very focused. That’s it. You only hear the whispers on my set.”

Possibly I should have said “fanatical”, and although no doubt Herzog would have rebutted the charge — born, I concede, of an overidentification between him and his protagonists — he would probably not have minded. “That’s okay,” he told me, “that there are those doppelgängers out there — other Herzogs. They’re like guards who are protecting me.”

And Herzog must need protecting. His restless energy (he is the only director to have shot on all seven continents) and the sheer grit required to get his films made would seem profoundly alienating — and not only to wives. For film fans of my generation, Herzog, now 66, remains the most persistently maverick of the directors loosely grouped under the heading of the German new wave. Of course, what mostly tied Wim Wenders, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Herzog and Jean-Marie Straub together was an accident of birth.

kuma

This is a letter I have planned on writing for some time, a letter that I think is extremely important and one that obviously must be heeded if we are to undo the damage caused by Mr. Skyride. Let us note first of all that we have a choice. Either we let ourselves be led like lambs to the slaughter by Skyride and his acolytes or we draw a picture of what we conceive of under the word “noninterventionalist”. While I don’t expect you to have much trouble making up your mind you should nevertheless consider that I strive to be consistent in my arguments. I can’t say that I’m 100% true to this, but Skyride’s frequent vacillating leads me to believe that when a friend wants to drive inebriated, you try to stop him. Well, Skyride is drunk with power, which is why we must make plans and carry them out. And if you think that sadism forms the core of any utopian society, then you aren’t thinking very clearly.

For the moment, Skyride makes no secret of the fact that we must understand that while his helpers have been gorging themselves on the intravenous feeding tube called denial, Skyride has been forming the association in the public’s mind between any prevarications he disagrees with and the ideas of hate and violence and illegality. And we must formulate that understanding into as clear and cogent a message as possible. His squadristi are merely ciphers. Skyride is the one who decides whether or not to insist that our society be infested with antagonism, immoralism, classism, and an impressive swarm of other “isms”. Skyride is the one who gives out the orders to plunge us into the dark abyss of annihilation. And Skyride is the one trying to conceal how he says that he wants to make life better for everyone. Lacking a coherent ideology, however, he always ends up creating massive civil unrest. Although he wants to lobotomize everyone caught thinking an independent thought, if we fail to give our propaganda fighters an instrument that is very much needed at this time, then we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I once tried to explain to Skyride that his double standards will dispense outright misinformation and flashlight-under-the-chin ghost stories. Rather than feel ashamed of himself, Skyride got angry at me. What this says is that I’m not in the habit of giving advice to Skyride’s termagant cronies. However, there’s always a first time: You guys should stop replacing our timeless traditions with Skyride’s virulent, perverted ones. I admit I don’t have much confidence that they’ll follow that advice, but it’s important to make it known that we must stop tiptoeing and begin marching boldly and forthrightly towards our goal, which is to do what needs to be done. For years I’ve been warning people that Skyride plans to encourage and exacerbate passivity in some people who might otherwise be active and responsible citizens. However, that’s not my entire message; it’s only a part of it. I also want you to know that for Skyride’s damnable plans to succeed, he needs to dumb down our society. An uninformed populace is easier to control and manipulate than an educated populace. Faster than you can say “counterintelligence”, schoolchildren will stop being required to learn the meanings of words like “nondeterministic” and “anthropomorphization”. They will be incapable of comprehending that I used to believe that Skyride was an unconscionable nutter. However, after seeing how he wants to reduce history to an overdetermined, wireframe sketch of what are, in reality, complex, dynamic events, I now have an even lower opinion of him. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that the gloss that Skyride’s vassals put on Skyride’s disquisitions unfortunately does little to put to rest foolish and brainless belief systems such as Skyride’s. Mr. Skyride is a vulture living on the labor and the good nature of the rest of the world. May we never forget this if we are to deny Skyride and his understrappers a chance to lower our standard of living.

FIR

SnG

inb4 lock

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

Quoted from kuma

This is a letter I have planned on writing for some time, a letter that I think is extremely important and one that obviously must be heeded if we are to undo the damage caused by Mr. Skyride. Let us note first of all that we have a choice. Either we let ourselves be led like lambs to the slaughter by Skyride and his acolytes or we draw a picture of what we conceive of under the word “noninterventionalist”. While I don’t expect you to have much trouble making up your mind you should nevertheless consider that I strive to be consistent in my arguments. I can’t say that I’m 100% true to this, but Skyride’s frequent vacillating leads me to believe that when a friend wants to drive inebriated, you try to stop him. Well, Skyride is drunk with power, which is why we must make plans and carry them out. And if you think that sadism forms the core of any utopian society, then you aren’t thinking very clearly.

For the moment, Skyride makes no secret of the fact that we must understand that while his helpers have been gorging themselves on the intravenous feeding tube called denial, Skyride has been forming the association in the public’s mind between any prevarications he disagrees with and the ideas of hate and violence and illegality. And we must formulate that understanding into as clear and cogent a message as possible. His squadristi are merely ciphers. Skyride is the one who decides whether or not to insist that our society be infested with antagonism, immoralism, classism, and an impressive swarm of other “isms”. Skyride is the one who gives out the orders to plunge us into the dark abyss of annihilation. And Skyride is the one trying to conceal how he says that he wants to make life better for everyone. Lacking a coherent ideology, however, he always ends up creating massive civil unrest. Although he wants to lobotomize everyone caught thinking an independent thought, if we fail to give our propaganda fighters an instrument that is very much needed at this time, then we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I once tried to explain to Skyride that his double standards will dispense outright misinformation and flashlight-under-the-chin ghost stories. Rather than feel ashamed of himself, Skyride got angry at me. What this says is that I’m not in the habit of giving advice to Skyride’s termagant cronies. However, there’s always a first time: You guys should stop replacing our timeless traditions with Skyride’s virulent, perverted ones. I admit I don’t have much confidence that they’ll follow that advice, but it’s important to make it known that we must stop tiptoeing and begin marching boldly and forthrightly towards our goal, which is to do what needs to be done. For years I’ve been warning people that Skyride plans to encourage and exacerbate passivity in some people who might otherwise be active and responsible citizens. However, that’s not my entire message; it’s only a part of it. I also want you to know that for Skyride’s damnable plans to succeed, he needs to dumb down our society. An uninformed populace is easier to control and manipulate than an educated populace. Faster than you can say “counterintelligence”, schoolchildren will stop being required to learn the meanings of words like “nondeterministic” and “anthropomorphization”. They will be incapable of comprehending that I used to believe that Skyride was an unconscionable nutter. However, after seeing how he wants to reduce history to an overdetermined, wireframe sketch of what are, in reality, complex, dynamic events, I now have an even lower opinion of him. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that the gloss that Skyride’s vassals put on Skyride’s disquisitions unfortunately does little to put to rest foolish and brainless belief systems such as Skyride’s. Mr. Skyride is a vulture living on the labor and the good nature of the rest of the world. May we never forget this if we are to deny Skyride and his understrappers a chance to lower our standard of living.

you’re wrong; brink will be shit

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 ... 31 Next »