Forum

Monitor help!

Created 17th January 2009 @ 15:01

Add A Reply Pages: 1

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Hey, I have two monitors currenlty. One for home and one for uni. My home one is a CRT iiyama 100Hz monitor which is 17inches and my Uni one is a 22inch ASUS MQ221U widescreen LCD.

I basically want the best of both worlds. My CRT is a great monitor for gaming and I love it, however my LCD isn’t so great. Although it has a 2ms delay the cap of 60fps is just horrible. However it’s size is great and I do love the bigness!

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase a large CRT monitor with good refresh rate. Preferably from the UK. Thanks

Jambo

You should be able to easily get 75Hz with an LCD with lower widescreen resolution, let’s say 1280×800. It reduces the tearing pretty much. You just need to create a custom resolution from your GPU’s settings probably. Don’t know about CRT’s tho =]

beta

RaWr ::

Good advice is above but if you are deadset on a CRT monitor I suggest Ebay, people literally giving them away for free or the postage price.

Mike

Rele

Hmm, got a question here as well.

LCD-Widescreen-Monitor here:

When I set the res to 1680×1050, I can set the refresh rate to 60Hz only
However if I set the res to 1280×800, I can switch the refresh rate between 60,72 and 75 (or so).

So if I use an ingame-res of 1280×800, how many frames can my monitor display? 60 or 75?

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

If my native desktop resolution is different to my ingame resolution then will my refresh rate be capped at that? I mean atm Im using a high res for desktop and that is capped at 60Hz and then ingame a low one (not even a widescreen res). Will my ingame automatically change to 75Hz? Or do I need to set my desktop res to the same as ingame to get the same refresh rate.

Jambo

Add “-freq 75” to command line.

Your desktop resolution can be 1680×1050@60Hz and your in-game resolution (if you are not using windowed mouse) can be different, 75Hz for example, depending on the resolution ofcourse. :)

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

just adding -freq 75 will up the hertz then ingame?

Yes, as long as your monitor supports 75Hz at your in-game resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate#Liquid_crystal_displays
use 60hz, 75hz is preserved in most lcd due to backward compatibility reasons.

Add A Reply Pages: 1