Forum

Game of Thrones [SPOILERS INSIDE]

Created 25th March 2011 @ 18:20

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 20 Next »

naMu

LAITON
KUKKO!

Don’t forget Eddings family :) I rather enjoyed David/Leigh Eddings books, specially the Belgarion series.

baerbel

trick17
trick17

Quoted from piece

A Game of Thrones is awesome…but there is one series that is much more epic then anything mentioned so far in this thread.

Steven Erikson – Malazan Book of the Fallen – Gardens of the Moon

Thats the first book and they get better and better. The world created there makes the world of George R.R. Martin look tiny.

If you havent read that try it. You won’t regret it.

yes indeed, although you might want to check out robert jordans wheel of time as well. epic.

piece

I started reading Wheel of time like..dunno…maybe 12 years or something ago.
Its a never ending story and got really dull after 14 books or something. Until then it was epic idd.
But didnt the author die meanwhile and the thing’s never getting finished?

Dummy

Quoted from piece

I started reading Wheel of time like..dunno…maybe 12 years or something ago.
Its a never ending story and got really dull after 14 books or something. Until then it was epic idd.
But didnt the author die meanwhile and the thing’s never getting finished?

he died halfway through the last book or something, 2/3 of it had the script and sketches done so his family/guy who helped him write the last few books are finishing the last one in 2 parts, 1 already released

Monkeh

.:ne:.

The Eddings series were good, The Belgarion and the Mallorean, but a little on the kiddy side. It didn’t stop me reading the 10 books at least 5 times though! But that was when I was a kiddy. Anything later than those 10 books are a bit flaky tbh.

The Malazan series books that I’ve read I enjoyed, but nowhere near as much as Martin’s epic. I think it’s the almost ‘realistic’ settings and the, (almost), total lack of magic in the stories that ground them in believability.

Stephen Donaldson’s ‘Chronicles of Thomas Covenant’ are worth a go too.

instag1b

Panda

If I’m honest, I think Robert Jordan is a little overrated, especially as the books sharply declined towards his passing. Perhaps he was affected by his illness, but the last book that he wrote before Brandon Sanderson took over was really quite tedious, and I found that I had to almost force myself to read it, quite unlike the books earlier on in the series.

Also there have been 2 books written posthumously iirc. :D

I’ll definitely give Steven Erikson a go while waiting for the next R.R. Martin book. If A Dance with Dragons gets delayed again…. rage will be had.

piece

You will love Steven Erikson. I’m pretty sure of that :)
And it will keep you busy…really big story!

Monkeh

So Game of Thrones starts tonight in Britain and the critics appear to lurve it lots, have a look:

“Barely a few minutes into HBO’s epic Game of Thrones series, it’s clear that the hype was right and the wait was worth it.”

“I say “one of the program’s greatest successes” because there are many. “Game of Thrones” is one of the most captivating programs to premiere in quite some time. It is a complex, nearly flawless venture that may be a bit too dense for some viewers but will greatly reward those willing to do a bit of heavy lifting with their drama. If you were scared off my the multiple arcs on programs like “The Wire” or “Deadwood,” then this will be no easier affair. In fact, it’s a daringly layered piece with dozens of characters to track, relate, and follow.”

““Game of Thrones” is thematically fascinating while also being one of the best-looking programs to ever air on television. There have been a number of expensive productions recently including “Camelot” and “The Borgias” but they don’t hold a candle to the production design on this program. Director Tim Van Patten is the All-Star of HBO having helmed more episodes of “The Sopranos” than anyone else (20) while also directing episodes of “Deadwood,” “The Wire,” “Boardwalk Empire,” and many more. He’s a spectacular director — arguably the best working on television right now. And he’s helped ably by a script from David Benioff (“The 25th Hour,” “Troy”) and producer work from Tom McCarthy (“The Visitor,” “Win Win”) that keep the focus on the characters instead of the elements of fantasy. The themes of power and family struggle in “Game of Thrones” are as old as Shakespeare but could also remind viewers of Tony & Carmela Soprano. They’re timeless.”

So yeah, the books are great, it’s HBO and the critics love it. Got to be worth a look.

Last edited by Monkeh,

instag1b

Panda

:D

As a big fan of the books, I have to say the first episode was pure shit. They wanted to show so much stuff, yet they showed nothing. The only scene I liked was “bastard” conversation with Tyrion and Jon.

Also they showed almost all pron scenes from the first book. Don`t get me wrong, fuck yeah, but that has nothing to do with the plot.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
he died halfway through the last book or something, 2/3 of it had the script and sketches done so his family/guy who helped him write the last few books are finishing the last one in 2 parts, 1 already released

Brandon Sanderson is now finishing the series. You probably read book 12. Book 14 just got released (this month). Towers of Midnight. I do so much enjoy reading it now.. I just had an orgasm. brb..

Last edited by Andee,

instag1b

Panda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towers_of_Midnight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Memory_of_Light

Last edited by instag1b,

Monkeh

Quoted from Reservoir Dog

…I have to say the first episode was pure shit.

Not sure what you were watching, and of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but I thought it was brilliant. As did my Missus and a couple of friends, none of which have read the books.

Great casting, decent enough acting, beautifully shot, impressive/’realistic’ locations, good pacing and plenty of breast action! What more could you want?

Thought they did a great job of getting across the gritty realism of the books and explained what needed explaining without lengthy monologues, something I was dreading tbh. Each character came across as they should, Cersei being a devious, calculating bitch, Arya and her tom-boy attitude, Tyrion’s lusty wenching, Drogo’s gentle giant nature amongst the barbarian horde etc….can’t wait for the next 9 episodes.

Fair play HBO, you da man!

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

Quoted from Monkeh

[…]

Not sure what you were watching, and of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but I thought it was brilliant. As did my Missus and a couple of friends, none of which have read the books.

Great casting, decent enough acting, beautifully shot, impressive/’realistic’ locations, good pacing and plenty of breast action! What more could you want?

Thought they did a great job of getting across the gritty realism of the books and explained what needed explaining without lengthy monologues, something I was dreading tbh. Each character came across as they should, Cersei being a devious, calculating bitch, Arya and her tom-boy attitude, Tyrion’s lusty wenching, Drogo’s gentle giant nature amongst the barbarian horde etc….can’t wait for the next 9 episodes.

Fair play HBO, you da man!

She was crying yet he still got it on with her… that’s gentle?

Last edited by GibbZ,

Monkeh

Quoted from GibbZ

She was crying yet he still got it on with her… that’s gentle?

Did you see the Dothraki ‘Dancers’ getting it on? Yeah Drogo was gentle. And if they didn’t do the deed on the wedding night, well, it aint no real marriage. She was a virgin untill then too and he’s a very, ahem, big man. I would have cried too!

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 20 Next »