Forum

the Well #5

Created 29th November 2010 @ 16:05

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from mvp.

1. how did the idea of founding vanillatf2 come up?

2. are you happy with the project, and how it evolved?

3. whos going to win ETF2L and EMS?

1. Well, as stated on the site, it was an impulse thing. Resupply was dying due to a big admin team with noone really writing there any more. I thought one of the reasons for it dying was the feeling of it being to complex and high end. True or not, I also heard people got discouraged from writing due to their articles getting edited too much.

So, the choice was to jump in writing myself, or to try and create a system that was easier to grasp and promoting people to write things themselves. The underlying philosophy was (and still is) quantity over quality. -An unformal place to share information most of us find entertaining, inspiring or educational.

2. In terms of amount of activity, I surprised at how easy it was to get things going. We got a lot of support from the getgo despite the barely existing promotion. I expected it to die quite quickly, but it’s still going strong, and I’m delighted to see people chipping in with their contributions. With the lack of a proper spectate tab in TF2, it’s proved to be an important place to give smaller league matches the attention they deserver.

But, in terms of the future, things are as uncertain as ever. Now that the thrill of “something new” has faded, we’re left with a lot of people (including even other scene authors who should really know better) only commenting their opinions when they violently disagree with the content.

To illustrate, JimmyBreeze’s latest predictions (albeit a link) got 3 comments, while a harmless post about hats gathered 50 comments, most of them of an angry nature. 9 months ago, we had discussions on physics brain twisters and “the most handsome at lan” polls.

So to answer your question, my feelings about it are bittersweet. I miss the days of discussing random physics on a lazy sunday, or looking at the ridiculous pictures posted to the most random of rants. And I miss the days when we could add lighthearted material without getting flamed for it. Because, if it’s a growing trend, I don’t think people will bother to do the work it actually is to get stuff onto the site.

3. It’s looking to be a tight race between Power and Epsilon.

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from Ritalin

As medic, where do you go to not die when rolling out to Granary mid?

This is more dependent on your team strategy and tactics. For standard roll out, hugging the boxes and shifting sides will overall make you less vulnerable. I’d advice you to spec medics from top teams.

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from Scatterbrain

[…]

speaking of this – how do you (roughly, i assume) figure out/keep track of what percentage uber the enemy medic is at at any given moment?

on any given middle fight, what factors dictate your positioning the most? is it what sort of rollout your team is doing, what sort of calls they give about the enemy (scout gone valley, solly jumping in aggressive, etc) or is it anything else?

1. It’s headmaths. You’ll know that it will take roughly 45 seconds to charge the uber, and calculate based on their medic’s death + likelihood of charging vs your own.

2. I keep a close eye on number of deaths on my team vs theirs, as well as who has the positional advantage. The rest gets pretty tough to describe.

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from Skyride

As such a well known and loved character online, is there any reason you haven’t had any real LAN ventures outside of the scandi countries?

Also do you plan to go to i42/43?

Well, I’ve been to ukesa in London (also, Finland in Nordic, not Scandi). I don’t factor in whether I’m well loved or not when I decide on going to a LAN. The 2 times I’ve been to had big prize pools and relatively cheap personal costs, I went for the competition – not the social part.

While it’s fun to see people I’ve spoken to online IRL, that wow factor wears off fast. My social preferences lie elsewhere than with the event of a LAN. And, no, I’m not planning on i42/i43. Sorry to disappoint :p

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

cu@WASM then

ashkan

I don’t know whether anyone has asked this and I can’t bother looking through the thread :P

You joined Blood is Good for the HCC and have played a couple of games with them so far. Has that been a fun/good experience so far? Did you let Reload play with the Targe? :)

Vincio

1) How often you find yourself using the ubersaw instead of needles? Can you remember any particular map/situation where you find that useful?

2) Do you think healing two soldiers that continuously switch roles (pocket/roamer) throughout the match to fulfill strategy needs is better than having them with a more “stable” role and gamesense?

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from ashkan

I don’t know whether anyone has asked this and I can’t bother looking through the thread :P

You joined Blood is Good for the HCC and have played a couple of games with them so far. Has that been a fun/good experience so far? Did you let Reload play with the Targe? :)

Cant remember if he’s targed, but yeah the highlander games have been very fun. But my team mates have made it a bit too easy. Hope for closer competition soon!

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from Vincio

1) How often you find yourself using the ubersaw instead of needles? Can you remember any particular map/situation where you find that useful?

2) Do you think healing two soldiers that continuously switch roles (pocket/roamer) throughout the match to fulfill strategy needs is better than having them with a more “stable” role and gamesense?

1. Depends on the target:
Against soldiers, I’d use needles in most situations. They’re slow and bit targets, and are very dangerous up close. But against shotgun, ubersaw can be good.

Scouts; unless they’re low, or you’re running backwards in a tunnel, you’re going to have a hard time with needles. The ubersaw might not give you more kills, but it forces the scout to make distance, meaning longer time for your team to kill him.

Demo: Needles. If you can keep a distance, he’s easy to dodge. If he comes closer by laying stickies behind you, ubersaw. Ubersaw against nades is difficult.

A common mistake for medics is to take out needles once they think they’ll die. Often it’s more important to give away what heals you can before you die.

2. Personally, I prefer 2 alternating soldiers who’ll be aggressive/defensive based on their current hp and position. But it’s not easy to find 2 soldiers who are good at both

hans

Suppose that both soldiers are weak and you’re under pressure from the other team. Get one to 300, then heal the other? Or try to get both to 200 first?

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from hans

Suppose that both soldiers are weak and you’re under pressure from the other team. Get one to 300, then heal the other? Or try to get both to 200 first?

In most cases, I’d try and get both above critical hp, say 120hp+. Then, focus one of them first, as the other one would get a faster healing rate by waiting. This way, your average heal rate will be higher, and the one getting heals first can be sent off to a better position.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

If you are in a defensive position, with a low hp scout and 2 low hp soldiers while the enemy is likely to push within seconds: who do you heal first?

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from Koeitje

If you are in a defensive position, with a low hp scout and 2 low hp soldiers while the enemy is likely to push within seconds: who do you heal first?

the low hp scout, as he’ll be the quickest to heal up to a level he’ll survive. But ofc it’s situational

If it was likely all would die, buffing a soldier enough to suicide jump at the other medic could be a viable option.

longas

1. Being one of the best medics in europe, do you think there are a less % of good medics than other classes? (ie scout, soldier, demo)

2. Whats the most important tip you would say to a team which want to become a top team.

3. In your opinion, what are the teams with most potential on premier and div1

Last edited by longas,

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from longas

1. Being one of the best medics in europe, do you think there are a less % of good medics than other classes? (ie scout, soldier, demo)

2. Whats the most important tip you would say to a team which want to become a top team.

3. In your opinion, what are the teams with most potential on premier and div1

1. Yeah, i think the % of top players pr amount playing the class is lower. I say top, because medic may very well be the easiest class to get to a decent level. But once you’re going to the top, I believe the class is the one that requires the highest amount of awareness, reaction time and ability to multitask. All of those skills are for the most part inept and cant be trained.

But hey, it might just be pride towards the gay class I chose!

2. Difficult question, there are so many things that make or break. But, I think one quality about prem team that stands out the most is intelligence (not social intelligence, but it certainly helps too). With that in mind, your team needs to consist mostly of intelligent people who are motivated to put in the time.

3. Tough question, as so small details make the biggest impact on the top level. It only took 1 guy to get a job, for TCM to drop a few placements, but if I was to follow my logic from the previous answer, I think the team currently with the highest average IQ would be Epsilon.

In Div1, I believe every single team a few players that will bottleneck once they’re starting to opt for higher level. So the question which one of those teams realize which player they need to cut. If they do make those cuts, I’d call out UV gaming (and maybe the only of the lot) as a promising contender for success above div1.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »