Forum

The Computer Well

Created 27th November 2010 @ 20:02

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 Next »

davesan

epx^
Panda

my pc keeps restarting itself when i tell it to shut down….its quite annoying..im on windows 7!

dauk

Quoted from Troels

Have a problem with my mouse. It keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. it does it while on the desktop and in any game as well. however it does it way more in tf2 than anywhere else, sometimes disconnecting for up to 15 sec.

checked google out where the general problem for people seems to be outdated drivers, so i have updated mine, didn’t work.

Have a MSI 3.0, had the problem with my deathadder as well.

Oh forgot to add that its USB and everything else that runs on USB on my pc (keyboard, external drives etc.) have no problems what so ever.

but on both mice it first began after quite some time.
(gave my deathadder to a friend, and after some time it started doing it on his pc as well)
anyways any help would be appreciated :)

usually the contacts between wire and mouse fucks up after a time if when you move your mouse your “mouse wire” attachment have some psyhical ( however it spells) pressure it may worn of quite fast. It may be the problem , and if you have any electronic experience and tools its quite easy to “melt” them.

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

¨You might wanna note that when ocing increasing the clock speed increases heat generation linearly, but voltage increases it by v², so that’s something to look out for. Also, cpu and memory voltages aren’t the only thing that can make your system unstable. For example, my e8400 based system was stable in memtest86 and prime95 for like 20+ hours both, but would crash while playing for instance tf2. I had to take all voltages off the “auto” setting to get stable, since it changes the voltages on the fly and can make it crash sometimes, apparently. But frankly, you might be surprised how low voltages are required for the cpu itself to get stable. I actually reduced my voltages from the stock setting when oc’ing.

AnimaL

rofl at OC using “auto” settings

p.s. 60 is the safe temp for most cpu’s (thermal design temp) and you shouldnt go above it… the critical temp obv is higher but thats reducing life span

for ur cpu site says 73C is max temp, tho i suspect it might aswell be tdp, cuz WTF WHY SO LOW

Last edited by AnimaL,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Morphine

May I ask a Steam related question?

My steam is not working. Everytime I try to connect, it either disappears (but still in task manager) or would get stuck in ‘Connecting Steam Account’

:(

A bad clientregistry.blob can cause strange issues like that, try deleting it and restarting.

Quoted from flushy

1. where has 50GB of my HDD gone? it says 180GB used but when i select all the files it only comes to 130GB odd. could it be in backups made by vista or has my OS stolen it? anyway is there a way to detect where it is and get it back? cheers

System restore, or bad cluster size for what you’re storing (unlikely).

Quoted from Wiiking

I started to study cognitive science a few months ago, and found to my big suprise AI being a big part of it (thinking it was mostly phycology yadda yadda). I never programmed anything before and to say the least, even if im gonna spend a lot of time programming AI (using python) will it be of any big use for me once my skills in irl? :P

So to make it short… Will I have any use with some half assed AI skills outside of school and what do you think of python compared to other programs available?

You’ll never use it in real life unless you go into actual AI work, I would imagine, although since most AI propositions model patterns found in humans, you may find it some benefit on a psychological side. Anything specific to AI though, probably not. Python is not bad if you use it for the right things. It’s very subjective.

Quoted from Shifty

OK OC question :D (thanks spike for answering our questions btw now that chris has buggerd of lol)
So i have my AMD 955 BE with a GigaByte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX FRGVSA mobo, and a Scythe Samurai ZZ SCSMZ-2000 as my cooler.
So first of if i OC to 3.6ghz (instead of 3.2) will it get me a significant performance increase ?
Second: I am a bit lazy so i wanted to use the amd Overdrive tool BUT when i try to set the multiplier in adv mode, the multiplier stops at 16x (which is the standard)…wtf ? My cpu is a BE, 100% sure
When i auto OCed it with AOD it gave me a max of 3.85ghz and it increased the voltage to 1.43 …i am not that sure if that is really all that stable since i got a BOS after the AOD autoclock was done i reseted and it gaver me the option to clock it to the last known stable setting, still i wasn that sure.
So is 3.85ghz a “stable” OC on air ? Should i just rise the voltage to 1.5 just to be sure ? (think max voltage for it is 1.62 or something)

Would be great if you could help me (also i added you on steam :D)

Lovely wall of text.

You won’t notice a significant performance increase, the increase is very logarithmic as you get to higher clock speeds. Most of the delays with modern operating systems are storage-based. AMD Overdrive is a horrible way to overclock (as with all software overclocking), use the BIOS. Auto OCing is a terrible idea. Do it by hand with Prime95. 1.5v is the highest you realistically want to go on a Phenom II. Anything higher than that and you’re risking bringing forward the expiration of the chip. AS for it being stable at that clock on air, it depends, but it would be difficult.

Quoted from Wabbeh

Ok, I haz a nice simples qestion for ya:
What the hell does dpi mean/do for mice. Cos I think it means degrees per inch, but if that’s so, then a 3600 dpi mouse would do 10 360s in an inch…..omghelp?

Dots per inch. ‘Dots’ aren’t actually a unit, think of it as meaning ‘measurement units per inch’.

Quoted from nTraum

do or don’t: defragment s-ata disks in a normal windows-7-pc-enviroment, disk space about 3 TB. No raid, no SSDs.

Fight.

Why not? Windows fragments like a motherfucker. With that said most applications are very tolerant to it nowadays.

Quoted from fisk

what ghosting program would you use if cloning one disk to another? System partition is on the disc that needs cloned aswell.

dd or rsync.

Quoted from Troels

Have a problem with my mouse. It keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. it does it while on the desktop and in any game as well. however it does it way more in tf2 than anywhere else, sometimes disconnecting for up to 15 sec.

checked google out where the general problem for people seems to be outdated drivers, so i have updated mine, didn’t work.

Have a MSI 3.0, had the problem with my deathadder as well.

Oh forgot to add that its USB and everything else that runs on USB on my pc (keyboard, external drives etc.) have no problems what so ever.

but on both mice it first began after quite some time.
(gave my deathadder to a friend, and after some time it started doing it on his pc as well)
anyways any help would be appreciated :)

Possibly bad wire, maybe even bad mouse. Could be anything really but it sounds like you narrowed it down to being something device or cable specific. Not enough information.

Quoted from Destrutor

Whats a safe temp for my processor to be running at when in 100% use (Need to know for OCing, atm it runs at about 60C when it’s running flat-out)

Quoted from Destrutor

[…]
AMD Athlon 7750 BE @ 2.7GHz

You don’t want to run above about 65C. AMD says 62C, but your proc isn’t going to die from 65C. Anything above that you don’t want to run at frequently.

Quoted from davesan

my pc keeps restarting itself when i tell it to shut down….its quite annoying..im on windows 7!

Bad ACPI or state settings?

Last edited by octochris,

rischwa

EC!

I started to study cognitive science a few months ago, and found to my big suprise AI being a big part of it (thinking it was mostly phycology yadda yadda) […] will it be of any big use for me once my skills in irl? :P

If you want to work in the field of cognitive science (and i don’t mean research only), you will definitely need it at lot ;).
With regard to the programming environment, i would also look into declarative programming.
AFAIK the US cogsci community uses Lisp a lot while the euros prefer Prolog.

Last edited by rischwa,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from rischwa

AFAIK the US cogsci community uses Lisp a lot while the euros prefer Prolog.

prolog is shit, it’s true.

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

nvm, just noticed that windows 7 defrags my hdds weekly by default.

Last edited by nTraum,

Sketch

MM

samsung 2233rz is £185 on amazon.

1. does it run 120hz in 2d?
2. do i need an nvidia card
3. should i?

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Quoted from Sketch

3. should i?

Yes, no, yes. Last one obviously depends on wether you notice the difference or not, but most people do.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Sketch

3. should i?

1.) y
2.) n
3.) Depends on if you have the money, but for £185 that’s not bad.

dunc

infs
dp.

I need a 23/24/25″ 100+Hz monitor. recommend, with some pros and cons.

and when you’ve replied, just leave me a message on my BNC so I can have a look please.. :D /msg dunc

dunc

infs
dp.

oh and one thing…

“Why not? Windows fragments like a motherfucker. With that said most applications are very tolerant to it nowadays.”

isn’t it true that NTFS drives require little to no defragmenting?

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from dunc

Fragmentation means that your files are split out over your harddisk (fragments of a file spread out over wherever there was room when it was created). If you want to read a fragmented file, the disk will be reading from location A, then search for and read from location B, etc.. There is always a delay between read and search operations.
If said file is not fragmented, the disk can read it in one go.

Also files on the end (outer area) of your disk will read faster than files on the beginning (inner area) of your disk. Defragmentation software exists with which you can put (and keep) files wherever you want on your disk, potentially giving you a significant performance boost (if you do it right).

Whether your disk is formatted as FAT or NTFS is irrelevant.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from dunc

Its not really possible to fragmentation free filesystem, so regularly defragging isn’t a bad idea. NTFS was a pretty large improvement over FAT though. The only real solution to it is to make the random seek time negligible so that jumping to different parts of the disk doesn’t incur any performance loss, thats why SSD’s make your operating system run so much quicker.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 9 10 11 Next »