"UK Game Retailers" to boycott Steam games

Created 11th November 2010 @ 10:53

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

You serious?
I’ll never understand how gaming with 12 buttons max can win over keyboard/mouse. Guess I’m just too old eh.

I am totally serious, I didn’t say it was a good thing, but its a fact.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Linus

Black Ops

Bad games go with bad ways to play them, I suppose!

Last edited by Spike Himself,

iQue

keso

Quoted from Linus

[…]

Just look at Black Ops sales.

59% Xbox360, 36% Ps3, rest is between Wii/nds/PC. Pretty awful, and lets not forget the franchise started out on PC.

CoD in general is also the holy grail of console games. You could take PC and console sales of TF2 and do the same comparison with very different results ;)

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from iQue

[…]

CoD in general is also the holy grail of console games. You could take PC and console sales of TF2 and do the same comparison with very different results ;)

Well, it might be, however, not like Cod isnt the most popular PC shooter either. Just look at steam stats. MW2 has been dominating since its release, and now Black Ops is taking over.

TF2 is really unfair to compare though. The console version was never sold seperately, and was full of issues from the get go – and also never got any content updates.

Multiplatform games’ sales numbers are usually merged, but sometimes when you can see how the platform numbers are, it’s quite tragic for the PC.

And you dont even have to look at the numbers, just look at the quality of the games nowadays. Literally everything is just a straight port from consoles. I think the last game I played that wasn’t just a lazy port was Dragon Age. It actually had a much more suitable interface for the PC controls.

Last edited by Linus,

Spike Himself

TC

Imo you can’t really compare numbers this way. You’re forgetting about the countless amount of games that aren’t even available on consoles.

tesco

mrp.

You serious?
I’ll never understand how gaming with 12 buttons max can win over keyboard/mouse. Guess I’m just too old eh.

there are more casual gamer than hardcore gamer, and the consoles are typically casual platforms, that’s why the developers start to aim the consoles with casual/party games
more casual gamer -> more casual games -> less hardcore games->less pc games

UK Game Retailers: Low-
Steam: High+

It’s like reverse elitism.
Wait, that’s called jealousy.

Linus

[d¿s]

Imo you can’t really compare numbers this way. You’re forgetting about the countless amount of games that aren’t even available on consoles.

unfortunately, its more the other way around… apart from mmorpgs on the pc, pc doesnt really have any exclusives anymore that sell high at all, whereas consoles are loaded with franchises like Halo, Killzone, generic action game #39835 etc. Even crysis which was supposed to show that pc gaming is superior ended up being on consoles.

Last edited by Linus,

Extremer

PC gaming isn’t dying.

WoW.

RaCio

GoT²

MMO’s require an absurd amount of cash/resources to develop.

Making a crappy shooter on a known engine is easy, cheaper, has a less saturated market and is far less prone to failing.

Spike Himself

TC

It is sad day!

Cloud

.wldcrd!

PC Gaming is “dying”, in that it’s a shrinking market

Indie dev’s, and a few publishers will continue to make dedicated PC games, rather than shitty ports.

Need a new “quake”, not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of popularity.

rAye.

Vuze.
T.

rts games will dominate on pc

Abunai

Quoted from Cloud

PC Gaming is “dying”, in that it’s a shrinking market

Indie dev’s, and a few publishers will continue to make dedicated PC games, rather than shitty ports.

Need a new “quake”, not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of popularity.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99016-PC-Gaming-Market-Up-Three-Percent-in-2009

infussle

Quoted from d2m

The point in the article was that people would buy one game that needs Steam and then with all the marketing and pop-ups Steam has on their PC with new releases, they’d continue to buy games from Steam rather than going back to the retail outlet.

Does it not seem absolutely pathetic that companys think they have a natural right to a proportion of the market, if they did or plan to, if they are offering a worse service to the consumer. It pretty much sickens me to put steam and itunes in the same bubble. Apart from good and bad monopolys. Who cares if steam are doing a perfectly fine job of running the retailing market for games? Im sure if steam were not providing a satisfactory service, another leading competitor would take their steam, because thats how a free market should fuction. If people were sick of the additional advertising steam do, people would move. But actually its one of the few advertising mechanisms which is bareable.
Quoted from d2m

I buy nearly all of my games from Steam. It’s sad that small business can and will close, but it happens in every industry, not just games. If you can’t differentiate yourself and clearly express your unique selling point (usp) and show people why they should give their money to you, then you will fail. Simple as that.

Who cares about small retailing businesses, they are a thing of the past unless the big companies are not providing a good enough service. For example itunes offer a shit service, and i would rather buy vinyl, even if it costs more or even go to the length of coding an alternative (foobar). Again, steam support small companies if their product is good enough. Just look at the makers of world of goo etc. This encourages competion within the developing market which is only a good thing.

edit: who cares if i can further myself from people who choose to play halo, and the people associated with them. twisted play anyone?

Last edited by infussle,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »