Forum

Mantis, Goliathus, Heavy.

Created 4th July 2010 @ 22:00

Add A Reply Pages: 1

freshmeatt

‹Con›

I know there was a shit-ton of random ‘which mouse(pad) to choose’ topics around, but it was mostly about ‘which one is the best for–‘, none had really regarded a few factors important for me.

Gotta buy a new mousepad. I want to choose between Razer Mantis Control, Razer Goliathus Standard Control and Steelpad QcK Heavy.
My ‘important’ factors:
#1. My hand is sweating like shit (I want to put a thin layer of silicon on the pad after buying to prevent it from getting dirty and rough for a little while).
#2. I’m using IE 3.0.
#3. Would love just a little friction rather than none.
#4. Heavy will not fit by ~50mm on my desk.

I would appreciate a few pros and cons of each decision from those, who have/had these pads – how was it working with your mouse, was it comfortable to use it for a few hours, how fast did it get dirty, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by freshmeatt,

eoN^

dont get a metal or plastic mat if your hand sweats, get a cloth mat.

psunfragga

cc//

I have a small goliathus control and owned it for a year. To start with the matt was fantastic giving some smooth texture and over time I wore it in to my play. Right now in the present its picked up a lot of dirt (so isn’t so smooth these days) and where I’ve worn it down has gone white – you can really feel its not getting ‘controlled’ by the textured area due to the white bit essentially being smooth. I’m still using it as I’m happy with the pad and want to get a new replacement in time. Will probably go for a bigger goliathus.

kuma

if the heavy doesn’t fit, why not try the QcK+? it’s pretty much the same, and big enough that you’ll never hit the edge. i’ve used mine for a year now and it’s pretty good.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from kuma

if the heavy doesn’t fit, why not try the QcK+? it’s pretty much the same, and big enough that you’ll never hit the edge. i’ve used mine for a year now and it’s pretty good.

It IS the same, just thicker.

Picked up Goliathus Oversized Control and just counting the days until it’ll wear off. 200+ – I won’t hesitate to buy another one.

kolox

obs.

Quoted from kuma

Yeah, got mine start of march last year and had absolutely no problems with it. My mum spilled coke on it and it still works extremely well :)
For £13 i’d have no problem buying another one

KOVACS

Quoted from freshmeatt

[…]

It IS the same, just thicker.

Picked up Goliathus Oversized Control and just counting the days until it’ll wear off. 200+ – I won’t hesitate to buy another one.

Mantis Control is a much better mousepad.

I’ve used mine for literally years and still tracks as perfectly as on the day of purchase. Basically the Mantis Control has a much thicker weave and a rougher texture than most other pads so it seems to completely absorb any small particles and moisture which causes no impact on tracking or glide. For low mouse sensitivities (i.e. 30-60cm/360) it genuinely provides a comforting feeling of control.

On the contrary, both versions of the Goliathus have a much smoother surface with a dense weave and next to no pattern, somewhat akin to the Everglide Titan and Qpad CT mats but without a “film” over the surface. The result is smoother glide with less resistance than the Mantis Control but the Goliathus quickly adopts it’s own film, one of grime on the surface which turns shiny and white over time, giving rise to the problems Psunfragga has reported.

Often when choosing mousepads it’s important to know what mouse you will be using as certain combinations can clash and won’t allow your mouse to track properly. Goliathus and Qck+/Heavy are mats that cause tracking problems with a large selection of mice. As of yet, I’ve never come across anyone complaining about tracking issues or grime build up with Mantis Control.

Don’t try to add a film of silicone to your mousepad, you’ll just ruin it completely. Out of interest, what form of silicone were you intending on using to coat your mat? Link?

If you want a large cloth mat which already has a film on the surface to provide very smooth glide and prevent grime absorbsion into the fabric, I suggest trying the aforementioned Everglide Titan or QPAD CT, both of which are excellent mouse mats.

grimbar

Quoted from KOVACS

[…]
On the contrary, both versions of the Goliathus have a much smoother surface with a dense weave and next to no pattern, somewhat akin to the Everglide Titan and Qpad CT mats but without a “film” over the surface. The result is smoother glide with less resistance than the Mantis Control but the Goliathus quickly adopts it’s own film, one of grime on the surface which turns shiny and white over time, giving rise to the problems Psunfragga has reported.

It’s good to know that the Goliathus quickly adopts it’s own film… that must be the reason why my goliathus is still in a mint condition after so many hours of usage, and I am one of the gamers who sweat like crazy. No grime or white film to be found, no tracking issues to be found (using a Deathadder Rev. 1).

The only issue one could find when using the Goliathus is the fact that it is way too small to be of any use for people (referring to the oversized edition. oversized standing for midget).

KOVACS

Quoted from grimbar

[…]

It’s good to know that the Goliathus quickly adopts it’s own film… that must be the reason why my goliathus is still in a mint condition after so many hours of usage, and I am one of the gamers who sweat like crazy. No grime or white film to be found, no tracking issues to be found (using a Deathadder Rev. 1).

The only issue one could find when using the Goliathus is the fact that it is way too small to be of any use for people (referring to the oversized edition. oversized standing for midget).

The oversized Goliathus is 44.4 x 35.5cm. That’s pretty much the norm for “large” gaming mouse mats these days. Don’t see how you can find that small in any way tbh. The smaller versions have their own issue in terms of that mat moving around on the desk slightly during play.

I think you’ll also find that the Goliathus with 1800dpi DA will give you a lift-off distance of about 5mm, when it is more like 1-2mm with most other mousemats using the old revision of the DA. Not a major gripe, but can be annoying for gamers who barely lift their mouse to reposition it.

In terms of the Goliathus when using a DA Respawn Edition, many users have reported pointer tracking issues involving jittery response on small movements and in some cases, the pointer spazzing and clipping to different positions (e.g. suddenly aiming at the sky for no reason). These issues are consistent with those reported by some Qck+/Heavy users also using the revised DA.

Last edited by KOVACS,

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from KOVACS

[…]
In terms of the Goliathus when using a DA Respawn Edition, many users have reported pointer tracking issues involving jittery response on small movements and in some cases, the pointer spazzing and clipping to different positions (e.g. suddenly aiming at the sky for no reason). These issues are consistent with those reported by some Qck+/Heavy users also using the revised DA.

Not only with Goliathus, DA Respawn’s sensor is pretty much completely fucked up.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP81119667.htm
My Goliathus has that kind of rough surface, which is really awesome for low sensitivities. I’m not sure if it won’t wear off too quickly but it’s still as new. Dust, compared to QcK on the contrary, is easily removable just by shaking it.

kuma

its not in your list but i replaced my qck+ with a puretrak talent, it’s really good. the only problem is theres a slightly higher liftoff with the old da (what i use) but its made up for the superior tracking

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from kuma

its not in your list but i replaced my qck+ with a puretrak talent, it’s really good. the only problem is theres a slightly higher liftoff with the old da (what i use) but its made up for the superior tracking

Sadly, can’t get it in Poland and don’t want to pay 20% more for shipping. :(

Add A Reply Pages: 1