Forum

720p or 1080p? Discuss!

Created 16th August 2012 @ 23:36

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

Wiper

idd.

Quoted from Trath

[…]

I’d sell my soul for the highlander movie in 1080p.

IMO if your creating a masterpiece, something you know you won’t release/”finish” with until its perfect, go 1080p and take your time.

I agree with Trath… on both subjects. That highlander movie was a blast.

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Trane

[…]

Nope

16 x 90 = 1440
10 x 90 = 900

1440 x 900 is a 16:10 ratio.

Except the 1440 in “1440p” is stating the VERTICAL resolution, not the horizontal.

Also, I have no idea where you got that 90 in your equation.

Last edited by ondkaja,

decap

Before Premiere CS6 editing 1080p lossless at high fps has been pretty awful. But now there’s no reason not to do it – I hope no one still records by manually doing everything – VDMs have been pretty well known for almost 3 years now. Use scrdemo2 + premiere cs6 and you’ll have a great looking video.

Of course not everyone is going to download it in 1080p, but as a moviemaker I’d want a high quality version for myself. Bitrate is really what makes the difference when it comes to quality though, so if you’re releasing it in 720p at a decent bitrate (>10mbit) it will still be a pretty enjoyable experience. But 720p on youtube looks shit.

The only negative with higher resolution with TF2 is the crosshair doesn’t scale (although it wouldn’t be hard to recreate it at a higher quality so it works better with cl_crosshair_scale), and the killnotices are harder to read when in a smaller window. You can counter this by modifying the hud font/colours/etc. but most people aren’t going to change that.

Last edited by decap,

Trane

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]Except the 1440 in “1440p” is stating the VERTICAL resolution, not the horizontal.

Also, I have no idea where you got that 90 in your equation.

I made the mistake of thinking we were talking 1440 x 900, which is as I stated: 16:10

The use of the 90 is basic mathematical ratio reduction, go and google it.

Lateralus

Quoted from Trane

[…]

I made the mistake of thinking we were talking 1440 x 900, which is as I stated: 16:10

Yeah same.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

+1 Decap

Quoted from Trane

[…]

I was interested and googled it, and can’t find anything definitive about a “90 basic mathematical ratio reduction”, so please enlighten us?

Image resolutions (that have to do with video broadcast formats) are always noted by their vertical pixel amount. This has to do with how CRT monitors and TV broadcast worked in the past. We did not talk about pixels, but scanlines (576i, 480i) because of how the technology worked. Go and google THAT! Nowhere in the history of mankind has anybody named a TV or computer screen resolution by its horizontal value. So next time, before you “NOPE” someone, use that friendly google help for your own assurance ^_^

Als, the fact that 1440 is 720*2 didn’t ring a bell at all? ;)

Btw, even though BoneS was probably joking, I think going for 1440p is not even that silly. Youtube allows it, and even though most people don’t run their desktop resolutions above 1080p, playing back the video in a higher resolution will result into a downsampling effect which will effectively compensate for a low bitrate (in other words: on a 1080p screen, low bitrate 1440p looks like higher bitrate 1080p). Let’s wait for the first videomaker to be arsed to record and process his video in that resolution :D

Last edited by skeej,

Trane

Quoted from skeej

+1 Decap

[…]

I was interested and googled it, and can’t find anything definitive about a “90 basic mathematical ratio reduction”, so please enlighten us?

Christ, are you really that bothered?

If you apply a multiple to one side of a ratio, you can apply it to the other side also, and the ratio remains in constant parallel.

(i.e.) The aspect ratio 16:10

Which number when multiplied to both sides would give you a ratio of 1440:900? I’l give you a clue, it begins and ends with 90. You didn’t need to google the ’90’ part, it’s not fundamentally important.

Apologies if my explanation isn’t fantastic, but I’m not a teacher, and I learned this 10 years ago.

Trane

Quoted from skeej

Image resolutions (that have to do with video broadcast formats) are always noted by their vertical pixel amount. This has to do with how CRT monitors and TV broadcast worked in the past. We did not talk about pixels, but scanlines (576i, 480i) because of how the technology worked. Go and google THAT! Nowhere in the history of mankind has anybody named a TV or computer screen resolution by its horizontal value. So next time, before you “NOPE” someone, use that friendly google help for your own assurance ^_^

Als, the fact that 1440 is 720*2 didn’t ring a bell at all? ;)

Can you please point out the fact where I said anything incorrect? I was purely talking about aspect ratio when I made my first point, not scanlines I was just answering someones remark without taking into account the main discussion of the thread.

The fact you are trying to take my point and transform it into an invalid argument about something different, does not make you intelligent.

Last edited by Trane,

MightyMe

UbeR |

http://benjaminhunteraustin.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/spiderman-meme-generator-cool-story-but-what-s-your-point-exactly-71b51b.jpg

Dave_

trane, you’re a faggot.

euro_down

atmo

pixel doubling!

dodgydogman

Panda

http://i.imgur.com/lSHxf.gif

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3