Forum

TF2 Recording Tutorials

Created 30th December 2010 @ 04:28

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

Hey guys.

Spent a depressing amount of time getting these made, but here it is.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeU0M4XaL4k – PldX Tool, VDM files, and VirtualDub
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5bKL_LDrI – After Effects, Frame Blending, Pre-Comps and Proxy’s
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcDv5vRcTc – After Effects: Colour Correction, Transfer Methods and basic effects.

Hope this helps some people, spent ages on these. :P

Last edited by Skyride,

dellort

I watched the first two and learned something new about using proxies to speed up the playback of the clips. By creating a proxy then rendering the proxy instead of the original avi file does the video lose any quality?

Last edited by dellort,

octochris

(0v0)

Good work, just a few comments,

At “we’re just going to skip to this point in the demo”, you can do it much more easily with the command demo_gototick. Either do it whilst it’s running (or use goto) or do on load:

playdemo xxx; demo_gototick xxx

re: sighing when you see PLDX tool users getting their configs deleted — no other program would have that kind of stupid programming. checknuminstance() is not hard.

You might also want to mention that you need to have “automatically load linked segments” selected for all of the tgas to get imported.

Lagarith is not an “updated version of HuffYUV”, that’s incorrect. I don’t know where you heard that, but they are almost entirely different. I wouldn’t recommend exporting from vdub to HuffYUV, because there’s a known bug where the codec freaks out when interfacing with Sony Vegas. Lagarith is fine though.

Turn off “show input/output video”, it decreases overhead.

Nice folder.

Last edited by octochris,

hapha

Quoted from dellort

I watched the first two and learned something new about using proxies to speed up the playback of the clips. By creating a proxy then rendering the proxy instead of the original avi file does the video lose any quality?

The proxy is there simply to enable the editing/preview process to go a lot faster, hence why its called proxy. The ‘rendering’ you saw in the video was a ram-preview, this gives the editor the opportunity to preview a short clip of their work at a decent framerate, without having to render the full comp. Skyride also mentioned something similar in the video iirc.

Last edited by hapha,

Black_Bob

[DA]

Im looking forward to watching these after work :)

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from dellort

As hapha said, the proxy is only used when you’re doing the RAM Preview. I didn’t want to try and explain it in the video, but essentially having the proxy means that when you do a RAM Preview, its reading in a ~800MB 60fps video which already has the frame blending done, rather than having to read in a ~6GB 400fps file and then do frame blending. In the 2nd case your render speed is being hugely limited by the speed of your hard disk (as you can see the difference it makes in the video).

Quoted from octochris

Good work, just a few comments,

At “we’re just going to skip to this point in the demo”, you can do it much more easily with the command demo_gototick. Either do it whilst it’s running (or use goto) or do on load:

playdemo xxx; demo_gototick xxx

I know that this sometimes causes people to crash, so I didn’t want to mention it in this video.

edit: As per this thread that just went up a few days ago. :P http://etf2l.org/forum/movie/topic-15049/?recent=262166

re: sighing when you see PLDX tool users getting their configs deleted — no other program would have that kind of stupid programming. checknuminstance() is not hard.

Indeed :(

You might also want to mention that you need to have “automatically load linked segments” selected for all of the tgas to get imported.

Ye, I just forgot to mention that in the video. Looking back, there is a few minor things I forgot to say in the video.

Lagarith is not an “updated version of HuffYUV”, that’s incorrect. I don’t know where you heard that, but they are almost entirely different. I wouldn’t recommend exporting from vdub to HuffYUV, because there’s a known bug where the codec freaks out when interfacing with Sony Vegas. Lagarith is fine though.

Yes it is, from the official lagarith website: “This codec was build using the Huffyuv source as a template, and uses some Huffyuv code”.

I’m not saying its a straight “update” so to say, but it uses huffyuv’s code as a base and does everything that huffyuv does slightly better. That’s near enough for me.

Turn off “show input/output video”, it decreases overhead.

Ye, again another tiny thing I forgot to mention. I do personally leave input on so I can see where its at while its running, but indeed you should turn off output.

Last edited by Skyride,

Mordi

≧◡≦

Quoted from octochris

….

You remind me of Hermione in Harry Potter…

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Mordi

[…]

You remind me of Hermione in Harry Potter…

if only i could be as hot as emma watson, then i’d be set.

SHE CUT HER FUCKING HAIR, NOOOOO

dellort

Sorry I’m still a little confused about it. I understand how it allows you to preview the clip faster, but after you’ve synced/done the editing do you alt drag the original file to replace the proxy?

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from dellort

but after you’ve synced/done the editing do you alt drag the original file to replace the proxy?

Nah, After Effects will automatically use the original file and ignore the proxy when you do the final export.

dellort

Ok that makes a lot more sense, thanks for the help. I may even start using AE for more editing now, I always wondered how editors like you and morf used it with such a slow preview.

Salmon

alfa
[hePPa]

Quoted from octochris

people getting their configs deleted could be due to their configs being read only. Haven’t had time to do anything really for the past half year because I’m doing my national service. Aron’s coded the application, so I’m not exactly sure if it is because the file is read-only, but anyways all the problems will be fixed soon when I get out of the army.

fml why don’t ryan or poop sound like this, they sound like a pair of fucking bagpipes.

Great tutorials

Skyride

DUCS

3rd Tutorial now up! Its 25mins long, gl bitches! :P

Happy new year all btw

Also, heres some of the links to go with it:

Example Stills: http://adamfindlay.co.uk/movies/CCExamples.rar
AE Project: http://adamfindlay.co.uk/movies/ColourCorrectionTutorial.aep

Last edited by Skyride,

myNax

dude it’s such a good thing what you did here, but you’re voice is like so fucking loooooow ;) other than that, great job, I guess that alot of people will use this, including myself :)

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »