Forum

Competitive Payload

Created 12th September 2013 @ 14:55

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

choiie

keso

Alright, it’s me again with another crazy thread about another crazy gamemode.

I’m currently considering what to do with my next map project, and I’d really love to get away from my previous 5 CP projects while not departing from the competitive community.

Previously I’ve discussed CTF here, and the bottom line seems to be that you either make Turbine or you don’t make CTF for TF2.

Now I’m considering Payload. The current problems I find with payload maps would be its slow movement speed which makes gameplay uninteresting in 6s, and its lack of chokepoint and “game rhythm”.

I don’t think A/D payload will ever work in 6s (doesn’t seem interesting), so I’m considering tug-o-war Payload (similar to pl_waste). I believe the good part about this is the battlefield gets more dynamic and focused to one area which is constantly moving.

The main idea here is to increase the speed a lot (medic speed instead of spun-up heavy for cart speed) and trying to create a lot of dynamic arenas where the gameplay changes constantly. I feel a problem with Payload would be that teams might be scared to push, so a goal is to make pushing easier than defending, encouraging people to stay close to the cart.

So, my question now is what you think about the concept, and what you think about payload in a competitive setting overall. Highlander player input is more than welcome!!

doks

if the cart moves as fast as a medic – great.
thug of war version of pl – great.

also the map should be open, and bright as any goood map :)

Last edited by doks,

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Could the speed the cart moves at be adjusted as it goes?

Like have a really fast paced section where it moves scout speed and then a slower section where it moves like a snail.

You could have the slow part all dark and moody for increased tension and the fast part could be all bright and MarioKart-esque.

The tug-o’-war idea sounds cool, saving your last and then pushing all the way back, I mean it’s very similar to 5cp really only with a dynamic CP, so no reason why it wouldn’t work I reckon.

Variable speeds though would make it more awesome and bring different tactics into play as well. Slow area get the scouts on the cart, fast area just leave the combo or whatever.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

doesnt sound too bad if the map is carefully made
the problems I can see happening are:
scouts getting bored being lumped with all the capping
the cart getting stuck at chokepoints not being pushed by either team

I like the variable speeds like monkeh suggested as well

Last edited by Starkie,

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

sounds like a great idea tbh, would love a change from all the 5cp’s :)

Leftism

W.tf
KC&LtL

pl_snakewater incoming!

:P

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Really like the tug-o-war idea.
As monkeh suggested, if you could dynamically change the speed of the cart. Maybe having it be really fast in the middle, and the closer it would get to each side it could slow down.
Sounds like a lot of fun though, can’t wait to see maps for this if you decide to make one.

Last edited by cmd,

Xearo

GTD

Bit worried it might make one scout’s job really boring, constantly pushing the cart. They get that enough in HL. :D

BenBazinga

Garlic.tf

Make sure to finish it before next season so it can replace Metalworks ;D

yes

Ecophagy

BAGC
RUN!

Quoted from choiie

Previously I’ve discussed CTF here, and the bottom line seems to be that you either make Turbine or you don’t make CTF for TF2.

I don’t suppose you’ve considered an “invasion” style CTF map like ctf_converge?

aura

maybe some parts of the map could change as the cart progresses either way so it’s easier for attacking team to flank. Like a gate would become available if team A pushes the cart to team B’s point

alba

duplo

Sounds like a cool idea, luckely im not scout anymore :)))

doks

scout pushes at half the speed the other classes do… hows that ?
so the scouts can still roam and flank and combo does what a combo does

Named

[DA]

round timelimit : 15min max.
2×15 = 30 = 1 5cp map

just a thought

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »