Forum

[WIP] cp_axle

Created 7th November 2010 @ 15:24

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

tesla

Cute map, gotta make a fast cup. (rap) Sup admins?

wat

so many new good-looking maps, so little time to playtest them all

Keyro

Cheater

Must admit the map is interesting, the layout differs from traditionnal comp maps, MNM plz.

The bridge above CP1 don’t seems easily accesible for non jumping class, particularly for medics wich i think is not good for comp because it’s probably the default place to stand as a medic.

grazr

It’s just a complimentary platform. Mostly it was to provide a little more high ground and cut line of sight to the opposite cliff top a little. In the end it turned out not to be that useful other than for scouts to access the opposite cliff top (not intentionally, but interesting gameplay all the same).

I had suggestions to allow the CP to be capped from above, on said platform;it prevents the CP being a death trap for scouts and reduces the effectiveness of spam when jump perk classes can use the top, something of a regular complaint about the control points 2 and 3 were how effective jumping out and lobbing all your ammo at the point was.

grazr

cp_axle_b5 out now, get it whilst it’s luke warm.

>>DL LINKEH<<

Youtube tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7OlrN2KkTw

Last edited by grazr,

Angel

Quoted from grazr

cp_axle_b5 out now, get it whilst it’s luke warm.

“It looks really nice and has a good general feel of how you’d move throughout but 2nd seems really messy and mid isn’t symmetrical so there are clear advantages to picking one team over the other, it also has the syndrome of too many avenues to attack/defend.

But all in all its good, if you can find some way to fix second.” (с) Feresar#fray-tf2

Vince

BiG

Why are there so many dead ends in this map? Some can serve as a hiding spot from combat especially for spy, but what for example is up with that room near 2nd, that has no purpose at all?

grazr

In what way is mid not symmetrical, besides perhaps the crates on the cliff top that are wire spools on the other?

The deadend was a route i recently removed in order to move access to the second floor at CP1 forwards and closer to the main path. I guess i should have blocked that off further along to remove the corridor altogether. It didn’t seem important at the time since it gets barely any traffic.

As for too many avenues of attack. A curious statement. There are only ever 2-3 routes to get anywhere, which is pretty standard for 5CP push, is it not? If you could be more specific that’d be helpful.

Since Tarmo- dropped TF2 i havn’t been able to get a hold of any axle pug demo’s. Could someone be kind enough as to supply me with any that are saved that i might see how the new changes are being used?

GeneSIS^

[MIPC]

Quoted from grazr

In what way is mid not symmetrical, besides perhaps the crates on the cliff top that are wire spools on the other?

The deadend was a route i recently removed in order to move access to the second floor at CP1 forwards and closer to the main path. I guess i should have blocked that off further along to remove the corridor altogether. It didn’t seem important at the time since it gets barely any traffic.

As for too many avenues of attack. A curious statement. There are only ever 2-3 routes to get anywhere, which is pretty standard for 5CP push, is it not? If you could be more specific that’d be helpful.

Since Tarmo- dropped TF2 i havn’t been able to get a hold of any axle pug demo’s. Could someone be kind enough as to supply me with any that are saved that i might see how the new changes are being used?

http://demos.toaster.fi/ all the finnish pickup demos are there, but im afraid axle hasnt been played lately.

Vince

BiG

Well, there aren’t too many routes, it just makes that impression when you don’t know the map. With the different height levels on mid, and that house with the dead end on 2nd.

The tunnel below from 2nd to mid is too long and narrow for my taste.

The dynamic between last and 2nd is quite odd. There are, depending on how its counted, 4 or 5 entrances and exits to last, from different angles and heights. But all of them converge into the same room. And the area with that dead end room next to seconds is pretty pointless.

These make more sense when keeping in mind there actualy was the route that you mentionend you blocked off now (I haven’t seen the earlier versions or can’t remember them). I’d consider opening that up again in some form or another.

grazr

Thanks, Genesis.

As for routes, i don’t really wanna change anything more, especially not add more routes (at least for the moment), except fiddle with CP2 a little bit more (like making it more open to the outside area). As it stands people have been hassling me for more routes to CP1 and 3 so that’s what i gave them. The reason for the amount of “doorways” into last was to prevent defenders utilising the relatively close spawn and linear head to head combat (that was inadvertantly forced upon them in B3) to bulwark themselves in a dead end Fastlane style. The tunnel at mid is there as an option for spies and people who like to flank as the chokes are quite narrow (and surprisingly a lot of pyro’s use the tunnels too, though i dunno whether this relates to the spy traffic in them too).

With a team as small as 6 that is used in comp, that will usually stick together/push together from no more than 2 directions i’m hoping the number of doors at CP1 isn’t an issue and only a concerned observation. Whilst the map also lends itself with extra options to larger population public games.

Hopefully some PUGS on B5 will tell me exactly what i need to know in order to make necassery changes and whether these concerns are reasonably founded.

Last edited by grazr,

grazr

cp_axle_b6 now out.

change log:
Added missing light in BLU’s CP1 area.
Removed 2 cloned lights at BLU’s base vestibule.
Fixed inconcistant soundscapes at CP1 for both bases.
Fixed cubemaps on windows at primary spawn(s).
removed CP2 building, CP is now outside and on high ground.
Removed dead ends left by blocking tertiary route to CP1.
Improved skybox on RED’s side.
Improved 3dskybox behind RED’s base
Fixed several prop shadow issues throughout the map.
Worked additional prop fade distances.

>>>HUZZAH<<<

grazr

cp_axle_b6b now out.

change log:

packed custom waterfall texture properly this time.
generic additional detail.
Fixed some bad lighting.

>>>Click here for tits<<<

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1429764/axle/cp_axle_b6b0005.jpg

Last edited by grazr,

grazr

Alright, cp_axle_b7 now available.

Change log:
Assigned associated teams/CP’s to observer points. (finally)
Additional observer points inside bases.
Additional minor detail around CP1.
Increased spawn wave time by 1 second on contested last CP.
Made it more difficult to “cycle” mini sentries at spawn exits at CP1.
Addressed “wall walk” imbalance issue on BLU side of mid.
Addressed broken spy-tech soundscapes at CP1, sub-soundscape sounds should be more consistent.
Increased ambience levels around CP1 in both bases.
Minor adjustments to fade distances.
Added preview images to intro-chalkboard.
Probably some other stuff i forgot.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1990

The intention is that this will be the last beta and the following update will be RC and hopefully include a custom skybox and a custom finalé based prop.

Last edited by grazr,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2