Forum

Highlander Community Challenge FAQ

Created 9th April 2010 @ 18:59

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

Quoted from _Ben

Hi all, it’ll be unlikely that we will allow players who are competing in div5 or above in AFS this season to play in the highlander cup

I reckon this is a poor decision. The highlander tournament was even made with the purpose of getting newer players interested in competitive play, and I know people who became interested just because of this tournament, and who I “recruited” (pub friends).

Due to the increased interest for competitive because of the highlander, they’re obviously also interested in participating in the AFS, but this just forces players to choose between AFS or highlander, and is most definitely counter-productive to your original goal.

The question from here on is whether the highlander tournament should be about the spirit of fun/TF2 and introduction of pubbers to a competitive setting in a friendly and familiar way – OR if it should rule out all of those for the people that are probably most committed just so you can prevent 1 out of 20 players making a difference in a match, if even (and even so, I can assure you that if there are players good enough to make a difference in a 9v9, then the AFS isn’t really responsible for that in any way).

If people not familiar with the competitive scene weren’t already discouraged by the extended lengths of zero information and lack of updates, they most certainly will be if they’re being punished for the admins’ lack of time to organize it earlier.

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

I do believe the Community Challenge was originally announced to begin in May. Then we had no news for almost a month, and now we get this fantastic slap to the face.

Many of the Highlander teams have div6 players at the core, who were perfectly eligible to participate had the highlander league begun when it was promised to.

Our team, like many others, had a full roster by mid April in preparation for the originally announced late May start. While waiting for the promised league start, our core players had finished their ETF2L/WP seasons and began their div5 matches.

Now it turns out ETF2L seeks to punish these players for performing too well last season and participating in AFS, as well as punish team leaders for drafting their teams in advance to meet the originally announced start date.

By what messed up logic did this end up being our fault?

Rainmaker

(0v0)
(0v0)

I don’t really know the whole situation but at a guess it seems to affect quite a few people and their teams. This probably should have been mentioned when the AFS season was announced. It seems unfair to those who spent so long preparing for the event :(

RaCio

GoT²

Quoted from _Ben

Hi all, it’ll be unlikely that we will allow players who are competing in div5 or above in AFS this season to play in the highlander cup

Last time I checked the concept rule was season 7 or earlier. I assume that’s still the case.

nath

[Ω]

Good that you’ve seem to have changed your mind regarding the AFS div 5 players.

But now when it’s on the topic, quite frankly there seems to be very little interest in the tournament from the admins. I may be wrong, but no updates, no information, and the fact that the tournament never starts despite being way past the original date points this way.

If you dont have time, let someone else do it. Many admins have spent lots of time put teams together, getting this thing shouldn’t be very difficult compared to that.

It should basicly be (correct me if I missed anything):

1) Initiate a signup
2) Randomly sort them into groups
3) Make the groups and the play-offs visible on the page
4) Make rules for the highlander
5) Make a config for highlander

1-3 should be relatively to easy to copy from the normal etf2l signups I hope.
4 can be built with some modifications from current rules
5 You can ask the teams for configs, we have configs for example, or just slightly modificate the etf2l.org

Skyride

DUCS

Nathanson is right about the admin part. If there is no admins involved in the running, I could think of a couple of people who’d be up for organising it. Ashkan for example has been organising PCW’s via Steam groups for months. Hes pretty much the sole organiser of the current highlander community. I’m sure he would jump at the opportunity to get involved. ;)

slayerdrake

#shitnerd

We would also then need to generate more attention via TF2 Blog, because I think most pubbers forgot by now.

ashkan

Quoted from slayerdrake

We would also then need to generate more attention via TF2 Blog, because I think most pubbers forgot by now.

If I’m correct, the promotion video will be published on the blog when sign-ups are open.

_Ben

;?

Quoted from Skyride

Nathanson is right about the admin part. If there is no admins involved in the running, I could think of a couple of people who’d be up for organising it. Ashkan for example has been organising PCW’s via Steam groups for months. Hes pretty much the sole organiser of the current highlander community. I’m sure he would jump at the opportunity to get involved. ;)

It’s great to see that people in the community are interested in this competition people like Ashkan for example and i’d be more than happy to listen to what he has to say about how it should be run e.t.c

Edit: After discussions today it seems we will allow players who had no competitive experience before AFS/div6 players, sorry for the mini heart attack!

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Good to hear about the AFS – considering LTG is a team of players who came 4th in Div 6 (that is right we don’t deserve to be in Div 5 anymore that a team of newbies because we weren’t good enough) I think it is the right call.

As for running the tournament – well if you give Ashkan the tools he could probably run a highlander league on your behalf permantly, let alone organise a cup tournament. Only steam group leader who took his time to give me a bollocking for forfeiting a match and not being serious. That is admin dedication, sign this guy up if you need an extra. Think the clan leaders from the Community Challenge will appreciate it.

NacktMull

LAME

i think its not optimal to anounce something, let people organize teams and invest time and then let them wait until they start loosin interest
to get things startet faster just involve dedicatet people like ashkan more…

also if the highlander challenge will not happen a big part of the public community
will hate etf2l, that would be the exact oposite of the initial intention of the hlchallenge, which was to close the gap between public and league…

if the community could contribute more to the organisation of the highlander challenge and a highlander ladder/league it would give the whole thing a great boost
because there are a lot of people who really want to make this happen

RaCio

GoT²

If it was a matter of time I would have done it ages ago (although you are underestimating the time it takes). So the causes for the delay were not completely in our hands.

The tournament was announced to early by valve (before the technical and pr parts were done). Subsequently one of the technical things took quite a lot of time and additionally the initial organizers went mostly inactive.

That said, I hope to be able to get this on track soon and inform you further.

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

Quoted from Hildreth

As for running the tournament – well if you give Ashkan the tools he could probably run a highlander league on your behalf permantly, let alone organise a cup tournament. Only steam group leader who took his time to give me a bollocking for forfeiting a match and not being serious. That is admin dedication, sign this guy up if you need an extra. Think the clan leaders from the Community Challenge will appreciate it.

If he wants to apply, we’ll certainly consider it :) I’m always looking for fresh meat :D

ashkan

Quoted from d2m

[…]

If he wants to apply, we’ll certainly consider it :) I’m always looking for fresh meat :D

Sure, I’ll apply to help out with the tournament, if you handle me tenderly :)

PS. Thanks for the kind words, guys. I didn’t know people actually appreciated my contributions this much :)

L-iNC

So the players who have been only signed up to a div 5 team before don’t get to play but those actively playing competitive games in AFS are allowed to play. :/

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »