Forum

feedback; the new mapsystem for the league

Created 5th April 2010 @ 11:53

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 Next »

kaidus

WiK?

The difference between gravelpit and the other maps that people hate is the spectator factor. As a spectator the majority of people who don’t like playing gpit actually love to watch top teams play it. Maps like turbine, well, gorge, etc are slow, boring and generally a poor show to everyone involved.

Warmaster

-[MG]-
HL

Quoted from kaidus

The difference between gravelpit and the other maps that people hate is the spectator factor. As a spectator the majority of people who don’t like playing gpit actually love to watch top teams play it. Maps like turbine, well, gorge, etc are slow, boring and generally a poor show to everyone involved.

this

I loved the new system. Gave us the opportunity to play a wide variety of maps in both league and PCWs.

And I might be the only one but I really liked Gorge, I really like experimenting with strategies and trying different classes on that map.

I also think Gravelpit is the best map in TF2 and badlands is boring, so whatever. ^^

minimoose

Fixed maps is a better system, but we need to replace gorge with something which doesn’t make you want to go to sleep.

Lets get some custom maps tested stat!

Last edited by minimoose,

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

way to much turbine and gorge and not enough granary/badlands

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

Quoted from Warmaster

[…]

Are you kidding me? 1 hour 30 mins. I have yet to meet the teams who manage to play multiple 30 minutes round in a row.

And playing a map only once when every other map gets to be played twice, just feels like a step closer to map removal. The next season, people will say: ‘Why not remove gpit/gorge/turbine? We only have to play them once and we don’t want to practice those shitty maps anyway! Ban please!”

Gravelpit can take up to ~50 minutes already. Another map and you’ll have a potential ~25 mins added onto that. But just another map isn’t fair, as someone will be attacking first, as well. Only solution I see is to add two more, but then it’d be like ~100 minutes, which is far too excessive. This is the problem I have with gravelpit; I think the map itself is fun and plays well, but minor elements of chance impact your league results a bit too much, I reckon.

As for gorge, I believe it will suffer the same fate. Now, I have only played it in one pcw, but it was quite enjoyable and interesting, although I think gorge could be up for consideration in having 4 rounds (in our pcw it took about 10 minutes for 2 rounds, but bear in mind I haven’t really done any extensive testing, so the average time variance might be higher), and it would probably be around the same time as gravelpit is currently, and if so it would be able to provide more representative results of a team’s skill level.

The map system was enjoyable, for me, at least. A variety of maps, and I started enjoying well quite a bit in the end. I think this is the way forward, as it increases the efficiency of PCWs tenfolds and forces new maps on a very rigid community as far as change goes.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from BERSERKER

As for gorge, I believe it will suffer the same fate. Now, I have only played it in one pcw, but it was quite enjoyable and interesting, although I think gorge could be up for consideration in having 4 rounds (in our pcw it took about 10 minutes for 2 rounds, but bear in mind I haven’t really done any extensive testing, so the average time variance might be higher)

I think it depends on how you play last, double engi on last almost always results on it lasting right until the end.

blorg

Quoted from BERSERKER

[…]
Gravelpit can take up to ~50 minutes already. Another map and you’ll have a potential ~25 mins added onto that. But just another map isn’t fair, as someone will be attacking first, as well. Only solution I see is to add two more, but then it’d be like ~100 minutes, which is far too excessive. This is the problem I have with gravelpit; I think the map itself is fun and plays well, but minor elements of chance impact your league results a bit too much, I reckon.

As for gorge, I believe it will suffer the same fate. Now, I have only played it in one pcw, but it was quite enjoyable and interesting, although I think gorge could be up for consideration in having 4 rounds (in our pcw it took about 10 minutes for 2 rounds, but bear in mind I haven’t really done any extensive testing, so the average time variance might be higher), and it would probably be around the same time as gravelpit is currently, and if so it would be able to provide more representative results of a team’s skill level.

The map system was enjoyable, for me, at least. A variety of maps, and I started enjoying well quite a bit in the end. I think this is the way forward, as it increases the efficiency of PCWs tenfolds and forces new maps on a very rigid community as far as change goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C-cqw2s00

dauk

thanks to this my team actualy forgot how to play badlands ;D

ShadowG

IsF
LoEG

The new map system is great but I miss the map metagame from previous seasons. Avoiding cp_well and scout friendly maps against russian teams, choosing gravelpit against the better teams (unless they are finns) and trying to figure out the right spots to play granlands.

Placing the new maps at the end of the season and in consecutive weeks was an excellent choice. I would like to have 8 maps where every map is played twice except granary and badlands, which would be played three times.

As for map choices, I would like to get rid of all slow-paced maps that encourage turtling. Replace well, turbine and gorge with yukon and one or two custom maps. If we really need another A/D map besides gravelpit, pro_dustbowl would be a lot better than gorge.

Sketch

MM

I like that there are fixed maps. but can I suggest there is a 5 map map-pool each season? To add to this i think that there needs to be an element of random- approved map selection involving a voting stage and a luck draw.

this would make practising easier for teams with little time on their hands.
even very active teams have struggled to practice all the maps enough before their officials.

I would also suggest that every season the players, who Are signed to active teams, which have played at least 1 season. These players get to vote on the map pool. it works like this
– All new maps are put through a 1 night cup.
– Every player should get to vote yes or no to every map suggested for the map pool.
– The top 10 maps to be voted in should then be put into a draw for the next season
– 5 maps are picked form a hat
– these maps are then the fixed maps for the season (even if they don’t contain Granalands)

a few ideas that may help with the first suggestion, related to the larger map pool from which fixed maps are drawn:
– New custom or stock maps can be reviewed on their worthiness to be in the map pool at the start of the next season if they are played as a fixed map for a season.
– New maps that were not played in a season as a fixed map do not get reviewed, because the map has not been tested thoroughly enough, i.e. if it was good enough to vote in last season, why would we drop it without playing it?
– There should be a %50 tolerance in place so that players must vote yes and no during the voting stage. in equal amounts.
– All map pool maps go into the yes/no vote.
– Admin team and first position winners of the previous season from division 1 and 2 could come to a decision around adding in an oddball map for the season which forgoes the yes/ no vote. this map can be ANYTHING from tested and current stock maps.
– Profit

These are just suggestions that ‘I’ feel would help tf2, they may conflict with ‘your’ personal opinion and induce a nerd-related rage management condition, which if not treated immediately could turn slightly septic, or cause death.

dauk

also if you will make vote sistem better make it one from a team that participates , so there won’t be any 5k votes from nowehere.

Jan

k0

I like the new system, but I just don’t like the proportion, we need more bad/gran

if we play 9 matches every season( 18 maps), I would love something like this:

3x badlands, 3x granary, 3x gravelpit, 2x obscure, 2xfreight, 2x gully, 1x well, 1x turbine, 1x gorge

Quoted from Jan

I like the new system, but I just don’t like the proportion, we need more bad/gran

if we play 9 matches every season( 18 maps), I would love something like this:

3x badlands, 3x granary, 3x gravelpit, 2x obscure, 2xfreight, 2x gully, 1x well, 1x turbine, 1x gorge

As much as I like Badlands/Granary, I’d prefer it if we played other maps just as often as we do granlands.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

I love fixed maps but maps like Well (and Freight my opinion) aren’t great for competitive TF2.

Rather we played Granary/Badlands 3 times a season and dropped Well. Gorge I liked, but popular opinion counts, Gravel is my favourite map, Turbine was different…not sure I liked it on 6v6.

For us we had to learn these maps and Turbine we didn’t practise and it cost us.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 Next »