Forum

feedback; the new mapsystem for the league

Created 5th April 2010 @ 11:53

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next »

GangsterAlgot

Quoted from Defur

I think turbine is a good map, especially for the lower division teams in the sense that they get to learn/practice how to gradually take over parts of the map, and how to flank and push at the right times more throughly ( a.k.a turtlemap ) – also train teams in patience – which seems to be a problem for alot of teams/players ( them fraggers ).

And basicly cant win on the map if you dont play smart, thinking one step ahead.
Once you’ve mastered turbine with a team you can basicly transfer that knowledge into other maps, unlike badlands were it seems like its been made to be playable for people that are blindfolded. So there are actual reasons to have turbine stay imo, not just *we have to have a ctf map and we cant take 2fort so..*.

Yes, the map promotes smart and patient play. But that doesn’t weigh up the fact that even close games on turbine are boring. Maps like gorge, gravelpit, freight and well also encourages smart and patient play but they doesn’t make you want to kill yourself even if the game is close.

crzfst

Quoted from GangsterAlgot

[…]

Yes, the map promotes smart and patient play. But that doesn’t weigh up the fact that even close games on turbine are boring. Maps like gorge, gravelpit, freight and well also encourages smart and patient play but they doesn’t make you want to kill yourself even if the game is close.

Don’t you dare put freight next to gorge and gravelpit, freight is actually playable.

Quoted from phy-

Remove turbine, gorge

Add follower, yukon, etc..

I like Gorge, though I can see why people dislike it (attacking last is a chore). But Yukon can get fucked up the arse. Middle is too open, to/at/from second are too enclosed and last is too open.

I would prefer to try out koth (perhaps as another 1-day cup?), and could we retry badwater?

I think the fixed maps is great. Being forced to practice gullywash has turned it into my favourite map.

crz

T4F

I like fixed maps so far. One of the best things about it is, that you can practice the new maps in the week before they need to be played and it isn’t that hard to find an opponent then.
Previously it was really hard to find teams which were willing to play Turbine or Gravelpit (and so on) against you as long as you were the only team playing that map in a week… next week another team had the same problem …

One thing already mentioned on VanillaTF2 is that there are some standard maps like Granary, Badlands and Freight which are already played long times ago and are pretty accepted by the community. So why not taking these maps and placing them twice in next seasons mappool and other maps like Gorge which are quite new only once a season.

Well I don’t like Gorge… but ye… it’s always a subjective opinion. You can’t make a decission which is fine for everyone. By playing this maps only once, the teams can make a decission which of the maps they want to train harder and which they left behind… Cause getting ace on 12 maps is really hard especially for new teams. But this would be a issue for every team.

So if you have fixed maps, you should always be able to find an opponent in the maps week and still can be tactical about which maps to train harder and which to be left behind. Just like in past where you chose your maps due to your opponent.

Last edited by crz,

Reload

BiG
BiG

I love this system because you DON’T have to play Grannylands every week.

Also, replacing Well and Turbine by Follower and Yukon sounds good :o

RareSpycrab

Replace fastlanle with prolane Only ran through it once and can already see how much easier its gunna be to push last and how much harder its gunna be to camp points.

Last edited by RareSpycrab,

Geten

I honestly can’t decipher why people rage at gravelpit, or anything except granlands. And truly I find Freight a lot worse than gravelpit and even well.

Turbine is a map that really makes my face hurt. And from everybody that I reckon people hate its guts. I think it’s one big turtlefest and would rather see it out of the league. We’ve yet to play gorge officially and have only played it a couple of times. We’re starting to get the hang of it but I hope there’s a lot of variety to it and that it can be an endurable map.

Oh and these monday night cups seem brilliant. I hope prolane works out real horrorshow.

I played cp_indulge recently and found it quite good. I’ve only played wildmire briefly though. My point is that if there could be maps of attack/defense style and heck, even a ctf_map that could be balanced/enjoyable then that’s a-ok with me. As such I see the point with fixed maps and hope that the etf2l admins go along the same lines in season 8. However I’d rather see well & turbine replaced with something else.

Last edited by Geten,

Poop

TSUN~
[PG]

All is fine except gorge, get rid of it.

GeneSIS^

[MIPC]

remove well and turbine

Inuy

#sadboys

Quoted from GeneSIS^

remove well and turbine

and gorge.

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

If possible could we keep this discussion on the system itself rather than the maps chosen, thanks. We can have a different thread for those discussions.

Did you find it easier / more difficult to arrange friendlies?
Did you practice the new maps?
Did the map rotation (playing the new maps once a week for a fortnight) help you to get practice in or would you prefer to have them spaced out further?
Did you have enough time to practice the new maps before your games?
Would you prefer more / less maps (for example playing each map only once, or playing each map 3 or 4 times)?
Did you like the variation of map styles (for example Attack versus Defence maps alongside 5 point CP maps), or did it not make any difference?

Edit – If you miss the old system, what is it that you don’t like about the new one, or what is it that you liked about the old one?

Last edited by SnowiE,

Shadow Monkey!

pC*

I really like the new system, but not the choosen maps.
we had enough time to practice and that was good, but the maps were bad, well and gorge sucked the most, but hopefully we get Fastlane/Prolane back again….it’s way better than gorge.

Last edited by Shadow Monkey!,

Anathema

I like the system.
It was much easier to find opponents willing to play the maps you need to practise for your officials.
What needs to be changed is the map pairs. A week of well/turbine is really not a lot of fun. Especially if you take into account you have played well the week before and will be playing turbine the week after. Try to pair the popular maps with the less popular ones, to ease the pain. :)
Oh and remove gorge. A/D maps do not work in competitive tf2. Nothing will change this. It’s not a lot of fun, it’s just a boring slugfest of uber vs uber. Adding to that gorge is a pretty damn poor map. First point is too open, the rest of the map is ridiculously prone to spam, the routes to second make no sense whatsoever either.
And if anyone mentions gravelpit… it’s not the same since you can choose between A/B and last point is interesting and very open.

Last edited by Anathema,

Nagash

[CiC]
CiC

From a low skilled clan perspective, i find it harder to arrange friendlies and mixes as a result of the new maps. I find clans at a Div6 level want to only play maps they know and love. Ask them to play Yukon or Gullywash and they’ll just leave the server and go off to find another mix.

I do like the set maps, but i also loved the research that came with map picks because I would always try to find what map a team was good at, and try to not pick that, giving us the best chance of victory. I feel it also encouraged others to check out other clans and somewhat helped community building… only my view though.

If you were to use map picks again, my idea for this would be to say have a list of 9 maps, and you can only pick each one once (assuming you keep 10 clans per div). This way it uses the idea of set maps and map pick, because you have to play all maps at least once, though if your very very very unlucky, you get to play 1 map every week :D

Maybe could also have something similar to a wildcard, but involving maps, where say you have your set map list like this season, but a team could play a mapwildcard and replace any 1 map with a map of their choice from a set list, and only do it once a season. Every clan usually has at least 1 map they utterly despise, and so this system would make them enjoy the season more, because they can get rid of said map.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next »