Forum

Can Low skill teams actually beat High skill teams?

Created 16th March 2010 @ 04:45

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

With the ESH Sennheiser Challenge in place, i thought about the possibility of High skilled teams like Div 1/2 losing to likes of Div 4/5/6 in say the Cup. I can’t see how this can happen over a period of 30 minutes unless the top players were drunk during the game.

In football you got the FA Cup where you see the big teams lose occaisionly, like Leeds beating Manchester United this season – equivalent of a Top Div 3 team beating Dignitas….Is that possible in TF2? Maybe…what if we go back to when non-league Hereford beat top division (at the time) Newcastle. That is like a Div 5/6 team beating a low end Div 1 team or high end Div 2 team. Now is that possible?

See that is a thing that disenchants me about playing in these Cups, I know some people want to see the lower skilled teams entering and pitching themselves against the best…but in all honesty it is pretty much impossible. Could say play for pride or fun, but not much of either of the forementioned in getting rolled in 10 minutes…

Maybe there should be more incentive for lower skilled teams like ourselves to join.

Last edited by Hildreth,

omerzie

i dont think soo :)

blorg

In football you got the FA Cup where you see the big teams lose occaisionly, like Leeds beating Manchester United this season – equivalent of a Top Div 3 team beating Dignitas….Is that possible in TF2? Maybe…what if we go back to when non-league Hereford beat top division (at the time) Newcastle. That is like a Div 5/6 team beating a low end Div 1 team or high end Div 2 team. Now is that possible?

When you watch matches like that, the top teams won’t often play their best lineup because generally those type of matches don’t matter or they can win with a secondary lineup, for example.

Back on topic :

It’s not really possible because the upper div teams will have far more tactics than the lower teams will, and they will probably be far more aggressive.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from blorg

[…]

When you watch matches like that, the top teams won’t often play their best lineup because generally those type of matches don’t matter or they can win with a secondary lineup, for example.

Don’t try an de-value Leeds win in that game, some nasty Yorkshiremen will come after you ;)

But by that logic if a top team played with some backups and played a Div 3/4 team would they still lose? I don’t think so…

Waster

High skilled team will beat the low skilled on comms, positioning, aim and teamwork. Even on a bad day for dignitas and a good day of the low skilled team i dont see it happening.

blorg

Quoted from Waster

High skilled team will beat the low skilled on comms, positioning, aim and teamwork. Even on a bad day for dignitas and a good day of the low skilled team i dont see it happening.

Waster summed it up.

Waster

I thought that football was such a popular sport because it was the sport with the highest chance that the underdogs could win.

Pr0nnis

Gurka*
Gurka*

I’d say it’s possible for div 2/3 teams to upset div 1 teams, possible not likely. Also I’d say it’s possible, not likely, for div 5/6 teams to upset div 3/4 teams.
We don’t join cups with the goal to win the entire thing, but hopefully we’ll get to meet some nice team in the first round we can actually defeat. I can’t think of another time we(mid-top div6) would get to meet div 3/4 teams outside of drunken mixes :D

also: go leeds ;)

Last edited by Pr0nnis,

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

no not possible….
in football you can score a lucky goal and defend with 11 players and win a game 1:0.
in TF2 this is not possible :D

compton

cvx|

Quoted from Dr-GimpfeN

no not possible….
in football you can score a lucky goal and defend with 11 players and win a game 1:0.
in TF2 this is not possible :D

Actually it is, most people just consider that it’s a “noob” tactic and won’t do it.

Waster

Only on turbine you can set up a really strong defense. And then the agressive team can still switch to kritz to crack the defense.

Slick

Epsilon

it’s happened..its rarer but yes occasionally their are some surprises!

iQue

keso

Lower skilled teams can take the occasional round against a really good team, but winning the entire match? Unlikely

I can see it happen on maps like Turbine though where you can turtle after a cap :p

Last edited by iQue,

agron

Relic

It can happen.
We’ve lost to TCM a couple of times.

SfynX

T2P

tbh this is quite a silly questions….yes its obvious, tf2 players are human (i think) so they may make the same mistakes tactically which allows the attacking team to push.

its like this in any sport/game!

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »