Forum

Default dates

Created 2nd March 2010 @ 12:17

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

torden

broder
syster

I noticed that some teams are getting arbitrary default dates. ie. a default date other than a Sunday (example: http://etf2l.org/matches/17810/) .

First of all, I’d like to express my concern against it, because not only is Sunday the standard, which everyone expects – but its also the day when most people don’t have other commitments.

Secondly, I want to ask: What can teams do to avoid this? (please, no”schedule in time!”-replies)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Default should be Sunday regardless of when teams can play or not. Admins shouldn’t look at that. Sunday should be the default because it’s the last day of the week. Every match week starts at Monday and ends at Sunday.

.____________.

Well if say one team posts on the matchpage saying “we can play wednesday and thursday” and the other team hasn’t said anything, then one of those days should atleast be granted to that team. But in the case where both teams are unable to agree, then yeah, sunday should be the default.

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

Well, this is how i did it when i was admin:

Standard default date is Sunday, true. But you can’t put it on Sunday blindly. In this example, Exhilium have clearly stated they cannot play coming Sunday.

When setting a default date, the responsible admin will look at such messages when deciding a date. All information available when the date was set, was that Exh. couldn’t play on Sunday. Naturally the default date isn’t Sunday then, if admins did that, that would be almost the same as entering a default win for notag.

So yea, it’s not arbitrary, it’s just based on all information there is.

If you want to avoid getting a default date that doesn’t suit you, just make sure it is known when you can/can’t play. (Hint: match comments). I believe this is hidden in the FAQ somewhere as well.

Also, this system has been working in this very way since at least season 2. (I’ve no idea how season 1 worked, I wasn’t there.) It is the best way I can think of.

Always setting a default to the same day (ie: what Koeitje said) is just wrong.

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

If a team already has a fixture on a Sunday, or has expressly stated “we cannot play on Sunday”, we are not going to give them another fixture on the same day. The idea that we would ignore a team’s wishes that they cannot play and double book them is absurd.

It always disappoints me when we have to schedule 50+ games for teams on a Monday because they’ve either been too lazy to talk to their opponents or they cannot agree on a date themselves. It kinda reminds me of feeding a small baby some dinner, except I can’t make aeroplane noises when I set a default date.

Quoted from DeNeusbeer

If you want to avoid getting a default date that doesn’t suit you, just make sure it is known when you can/can’t play. (Hint: match comments). I believe this is hidden in the FAQ somewhere as well.

The match comments are your friend. I believe we’ve stated 3-4 times already since before the start of the season how important they are. We use them for setting default dates, we will also use them to confirm if mercs were allowed in games, and also to see that both teams are actually communicating with each other.

What neus said is spot on :)

Last edited by d2m,

aves

so if team A states in every matchcomment: “i cant play on tue,wed, thursday and sunday”
you can basically force the enemy to play it on monday, since the admins wont set the defaultdate on a date where team A cant play.

alright nice to know :)

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

Quoted from aves

so if team A states in every matchcomment: “i cant play on tue,wed, thursday and sunday”
you can basically force the enemy to play it on monday, since the admins wont set the defaultdate on a date where team A cant play.

alright nice to know :)

No, because we will never set a default date on the same day. Also, it’s quite obvious to see teams that are being unsportsmanlike and attempting to cheat the system. We have methods of dealing with these teams as necessary.

tl:dr – 7 days to find a date that suits you, not that challenging.

RUJa

STD

I was just about to say that I think you should more clearly state when all deadlines are, since they weren’t listed in Events. But now I saw that you have added that :p gj

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

Yes the events weren’t showing up at the start but that’s fixed now.

As for scheduling, the best way is for everyone to help each other. On your match page give us and your opponent as much information as possible. If you know for certain that you will not be available on a particular day, write it down even if they haven’t suggested that day. If your circumstances change, write a new post with the new information. I’d be much happier to wade through 10 posts per match page of people confirming availability than have an empty page followed by complaints when we pick a date for you.

ouch

Quoted from d2m

tl:dr – 7 days to find a date that suits you, not that challenging.

it shouldn’t be that challenging though. but sometimes the opponent don’t cares at all to get in contact with you right in time. e.g. we had to take a wildcard for this weeks default date.

for the future i’ll keep in mind to write every single day we can’t play on the matchpage :)

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

Quoted from ouch

[…]

it shouldn’t be that challenging though. but sometimes the opponent don’t cares at all to get in contact with you right in time. e.g. we had to take a wildcard for this weeks default date.

for the future i’ll keep in mind to write every single day we can’t play on the matchpage :)

yeah I understand and appreciate that some teams have incredibly poor levels of communication. It was a point I made clear from as soon as I became head admin here. I think we need to do more to encourage teams to actually talk to each other. Maybe we have reached the point where a warning needs to be given for no/poor communication?

ouch

Quoted from d2m

Maybe we have reached the point where a warning needs to be given for no/poor communication?

Sure why not? Shouldn’t be an automated system though. Maybe give out warnings if someone complains about their opponents?
At least this is what I’ll do if I can’t contact someone via matchpage/irc/steam/email/stalking ;)

sgN^

TKN

Quoted from .____________.

Well if say one team posts on the matchpage saying “we can play wednesday and thursday” and the other team hasn’t said anything, then one of those days should atleast be granted to that team. But in the case where both teams are unable to agree, then yeah, sunday should be the default.

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/plusone.jpg

dauk

wildcards should give +2 weeks starting counting of a deadline , not the day it’s used , cuz now you need to waste days to get longer wildcard.

Last edited by dauk,

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

This week we’ve had almost a hundred default dates to set. This takes over three hours of our time to do.

Clearly this is a problem, so we need your help. For the teams having problems, what is going wrong for you? Is it a lack of communication, are the week dates not clear, are you having problems because of all the competitions you’re playing at once, is it a timing issue, is the site scheduling system too difficult to use?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »