Forum

Soldier Weps, Overpowered or not?

Created 18th December 2009 @ 05:13

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 59 Next »

Extremer

Nah, it’s just that soldier weapons are actually overpowered.

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

TDH is overpowered. 1 hit to kill a scout close-range, particularly with this rocket-speed, will make it too frequent an occurence. I could deal with the rocket-speed if the damage was toned below ordinary RL but the minicrit on airshot remains, as then it’d have some utility and be a weapon for more consistent airshots (due to faster rocket speed you have a higher chance of hitting upon flick-correction once accustomed to the speed).

The Equalizer is overpowered. It should be limited to 100% speed. Why? Because now one (or both, but you’d lose über percentage that way) soldier only has to hurt himself and he’ll have scout speed to run to middle with (and he’ll get max healing rate after ~15 secs, which is the appx. time the demo reaches middle), so he could get full hp + some buff after 3 secs of healing.

The horn is an interesting mechanic that deserves further exploration. Currently the whole game revolves around the übercharge, and this addition will cause further revolution around the “mini-übercharge”. If limited to 1, it could prove somewhat interesting, however I do think it should charge slower, as the rage charges up nigh instantly from what I’ve seen.

The demoman weapons are fine on first glance, however the SR will require some discussion and tests to see if it slows the game sufficiently to hurt competitive in terms of playability, enjoyment and spectator-friendliness.

Literally made every perfect point. Only things to add;

The TDH imo still needs like testing. Although it can be seen as really imba at close range where it’s basically a 1 hit-hitscan weapon, it is literally rubish for spam fights and this is what mid revolves round. It needs more testing imo… The pickaxe though should definately be banned, or well… it needs a fix on it’s speed. The fact is with less than 14hp the soldier can get scout speeds, and this makes solly the fastest class to mid if done right (on granary using the rockets to RJ outside, then when low run to middle with axe out from second). The bugel needs testing, but I think it needs to be limited to 1 and the rage should be harder to build. (It’s based on damage not kills…)

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

once all the excitment dies down the DH and Horn will only be used by roamers – the only weapon both soldiers will use is the pickaxe.

exm

Nah, it’s just that soldier weapons are actually overpowered.

Please define overpowered.

If you mean “they make solly better than before”, then yes, they are overpowered. But solly ALWAYS was just a lame guy who protects the medic and sometimes jump on a spire or smth. All the killing, damaging, etc was done by either scouts or demomen, and now you (everyone except sollys) are afraid of that. ADMIT IT!

Is this correct?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1072818

“I have tested this out with damage spread turned off and I have determined the damage of a direct rocket from the Direct Hit at point blank range does 168 damage. The rocket launcher does only 112 damage at this range. After some simple calculations it can be shown that the Direct Hit is actually doing +50% damage not +25%. The same goes for other distances.

I have already sent a bug report, just thought you guys deserved to know. This is a pretty major bug, hope it gets fixed soon.”

Not it’s not, as a post further down in the same thread says.

The rest in here is just a load of QQ, scouts shouldn’t be in a position to take sollies on 1v1 and expect to win in the first place (not that a scout doesnt have a fair chance against it anyway). TDH actually requires accuracy over medium to long range and the damage falloff is quite steep as well- as long as there’s a stickylauncher in the game u need to gtfo. Granted the crits suck but wait and see.
The axe is slower than scout-speed even on 1% HP, if I remember correctly. Also, this means both teams’ soldiers can get to mid this fast and picked off rather easily. There’s no reason not even to consider allowing these if there’s a chance (and there clearly is) that it will make a big change on how the game is played competitively because it’s fucking stale.

Just get a hobby that isn’t whinging and wait for valve to implement their usual fixes, then play a few PCW’s with it, and then whine about your class not being all that anymore.

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

Dybdal

clone

I’ve been looking at every unlock there is, and every single one of them if allowed will have a significant impact on competative tf2 both good and most certainly bad.

TDH is from my perspective heaven on earth, its like in 18 again playing QuakeWorld for the first time but within capable hands will shift the way the game is played. Its most likely to overpowered with the minicrits at the moment.

Banner will have an impact on last points such as granary simpely because of the fall off dmg being non exsistent, it might actualy be a wellcomed change but in my opinon it will be something that unballances the game from both a defensive and offensive standpoint.

Pickaxe is tougher to say as i’ve had little to no experiece in pugs with it yet… most likely to OP as the rest of the Unlocks.

Boots are fine and a wellcomed change to offensive minded sollys.

The Demo Unlocks while being fun dosnt bring that much to the table execpt for the new sticky launcher, for defending last points and certain other points its most likely overpowered in its current form, reason being you can detonate stickys though the walls if you just know where about the stickys are placed.

One good example of this would be last point on Badlands, where you could have 4 sets of leathal stickys on the point and have your demoman sit in spawn looking though the windows and detonating them selectively making it allmost impossible to cap the point.

I would love to see some exibition games between a few higher up squads with focus on the new weapons, most of all to spark some debate about the weapons before the seaons starts so we dont end up with another weapon debate mid season.

jUICY

TF2 is ...

TDH is far too easy, keep the speed, take off the extra damage and the mini crit, keep splash as it is. Sorted.

bm

i think the TDH is great just needs a few minor tweaks, the minicrit in air is arguable and instagibbing 125hp classes shouldnt be possible. So just a little damage reduction and it will be fine because the lack of splash damage is already a huge tradeoff to the normal launcher.
will have to see though if soldiers will get so good at using it that it actually hurts the balance.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

TDH is far too easy, keep the speed, take off the extra damage and the mini crit, keep splash as it is. Sorted.

You’re basing that judgement on pubs? against skilled players with good movement and teamwork and buffed it’s not so easy.

reNew

DDEEP

soldier weps ir realy overpowered. scout from 1 hit. bullshit

hunger

lol get your self down to 1 hp and hide then 1 hit the medic with it :D

wpminnows

[PG]

i like the tdh, the airshot minicrits on people walking off of ledges needs to fixed though (didn’t they add a way to tell if someone was sent flying with explosives with the rj trails?)

and maybe the minicrit damage changed to whatever the max pointblank damage is so you get no falloff on longrange airshots but no damage boost on them there easier closerange ones

Ran

rebeLion

once all the excitment dies down the DH and Horn will only be used by roamers – the only weapon both soldiers will use is the pickaxe.

I’d prefer the Boots to roam, so I can actually stay away from the medic longer and in a safer way. They’ll probably be forbidden in competition until there is a way for everyone to get them though.

And on topic, soldier unlocks might make soldier stronger, but he needed it. It’s like arguing about blutsauger or extinguisher (or an eventual unlock for heavies allowing him to run faster). The unlocks obviously need some fine tuning, but overall they’re fine, and calling them overpowered is ridiculous, especially when it comes from people playing the only damaging class that needed to be limited to 1.

Sekhel

Seems to many people are replying here without even trying TDH…

At mid-range, a direct hit does about 60damage… OMFGWTFBBQ nerf!

And its far more difficult to hit at that range than with normal rl, thanks to the very big splash damage rl has.

lassizci

on a horse

You’re basing that judgement on pubs? against skilled players with good movement and teamwork and buffed it’s not so easy.

I doubt even the mighty fragga can run any faster than an average joe with soldier or demo. It is IMPOSSIBLE to dodge once fired towards (short to mid range).

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 59 Next »