Forum

Quick question concerning the "VAC ban" bannings

Created 1st November 2009 @ 21:39

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

djc

d2f~

i was having so much fun reading this thread until i saw a 7 page spergout from arx ;(

Voyager I

aH

They are not banning people for cheating in another game. They ban people if they have a VAC source ban. And since there is no way to prove it was tf2 or css they should just ban right away.

Are you familiar with concept known as “Innocent until proven guilty”?

Just to use Joske as an example again, he stands to be banned under this rule despite the fact that literally nobody suspects him of hacking in the context of Competitive TF2. Generally if a rule causes you to ban people you don’t actually think are hackers, that’s a sign of a flawed system.

And don’t try to play it off as a stand against hacking in general, because if it was the principle that mattered to you it wouldn’t apply just to games on the Source engine.

…and you’re punishing people for a rule that didn’t exist at the time of the offense…

…glad I play in NA.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

They are not banning people for cheating in another game. They ban people if they have a VAC source ban. And since there is no way to prove it was tf2 or css they should just ban right away.

Just to use Joske as an example again, he stands to be banned under this rule despite the fact that literally nobody suspects him of hacking in the context of Competitive TF2. Generally if a rule causes you to ban people you don’t actually think are hackers, that’s a sign of a flawed system.

And don’t try to play it off as a stand against hacking in general, because if it was the principle that mattered to you it wouldn’t apply just to games on the Source engine.

…and you’re punishing people for a rule that didn’t exist at the time of the offense…

…glad I play in NA.

They have already been proven guilty, VAC doesn’t ban for nothing, VAC bans when people hacked. It’s like using controversial chemicals in food, chemicals some experts say are harmful (as in the players cheated in tf2) and others say they aren’t (they cheated in css). Nothing has been proven. What would you prefer? Using those chemicals or not using them? I can’t help it some people are to stupid to hack. I’m against hacking in any context, pub or competitive. What gives you the right to ruin the fun for gamers that only play on publics? Allowing VAC banned players back in the league opens the door for people who didn’t have the willpower to fight the temptation to cheat. They already failed to realize cheating might have consequences for them.

Last edited by Koeitje,

tragett

…glad I play in NA.

how many haxxersz have been found in the NA scene so far then?

Up

.:ne:.

We’re not just talking about people banned in VAC2 here. These people could have been banned over 5 years ago.

The fact they’re going to be banned without any idea why (unless the admins plan to notify them how to reverse the ban when they create a new account) bothers me and hopefully other players too.

Voyager I

aH

They have already been proven guilty, VAC doesn’t ban for nothing, VAC bans when people hacked. It’s like using controversial chemicals in food, chemicals some experts say are harmful (as in the players cheated in tf2) and others say they aren’t (they cheated in css). Nothing has been proven. What would you prefer? Using those chemicals or not using them? I can’t help it some people are to stupid to hack. I’m against hacking in any context, pub or competitive. What gives you the right to ruin the fun for gamers that only play on publics? Allowing VAC banned players back in the league opens the door for people who didn’t have the willpower to fight the temptation to cheat. They already failed to realize cheating might have consequences for them.

If you’re against cheating in any form then I respect your opinion. However, the rules as they are have drawn a rather arbitrary distinction between what are essentially the same type of cheaters.

If you’re going to punish people for being cheaters on principle, then punish all of them; otherwise you don’t have a principle to punish them for. I’m not actually endorsing that position, but that’s the stance you need to take to justifiably argue from the perspective of “Cheaters are Cheaters”, and it’s not how the rules currently work.

In NA I think we’ve only had like one or two that were ever proven (although one of them did make like 5 accounts). Our scene is a lot smaller than yours, though.

Last edited by Voyager I,

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

I also don’t think Kondor actually cheated. But I don’t know why you talk about Kondor and all those other bans in your post? I has _nothing_ to do with the issue raised in this topic.

Actually, it does and it doesn’t.

It relates because i’m attempting to show that admins are banning players where they might not cheat in tf2, and could be simply out of spite or for the admin’s self glory. In this case, several players don’t cheat in TF2 and i’m implying that again, they are being banned either out of spite or for admin’s self glory (OMG 170 cheaters banned! (I know it won’t be all those accounts…)).

And one of the main issues with this VAC banning fest is this. You ban people with VAC2 bans, but not VAC1 bans. This means you aren’t doing this out of moral (You hate cheaters in general) but you are doing it because you suspect they have cheated in TF2. If you were doing it to punish cheaters of all kinds, you would ban the VAC1 accounts as well.

So obviously you don’t care if they cheated in CS1.6… which means you shouldn’t care if they cheated in CS:S either. Which means you only care if they cheated in TF2. But then… you have no proof that these players cheated in TF2, yet you still ban them ‘Just in case’.

That is straight up wrong and I can’t see how the admins can even justify it.

The length of the bans and the whole banning system in general is a different argument. As Vlad has said a lot of times, these VAC banned accounts have been VAC banned (most of them) for a long time. Some of the VAC2 banned accounts were probably vac banned several years ago. The admins have obviously known about these accounts being banned as i’m sure 170 accounts didn’t just get banned yesturday…

But now a player who cheated 2 years ago is going to be banned for 2 years as of next week… These are players who probably haven’t cheated in TF2 that are getting banned for a longer duration that players with clearcut evidence of cheating in TF2 league matches.

Again, this is straight up wrong.

Vali

-9w-

+1

People who got VAC banned for a source game should be perm-banned. Of course people could have been banned in CSS while playing TF2 competitively , but since there is no way to check such a thing they should be perm-banned.

I don’t agree with hacking or the reasons why people would go to such measures, even if it is only to grief people on publics and not use it for a competitive advantage. However I also don’t agree with extremes like this. If someone hacked in CSS 1 time on a public and they’re playing TF2 completely legitly, who cares? If people are so concerned with “it might have been TF2 hacks, they might be cheating!” just get the AC admins to check previous or recent demos to verify whether they are or not.

Norris

you might do not care but the leagues actually do. because if they let you pass with the argument “it might just f%ckin’ CS:S!” then they would passively support cheaters no? there’s no serious league that would handle it like that. let alone multigaming platforms.. it’s some kind of respect for each other and their work.

Last edited by Norris,

xtala

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t warservers supposed to be VAC secured?
If that’s correct, it seems perfectly normal to ban VAC banned players, since they can’t join those servers anyway.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t warservers supposed to be VAC secured?
If that’s correct, it seems perfectly normal to ban VAC banned players, since they can’t join those servers anyway.

It’s about banning their new accounts (aka new accounts to dodge VAC bans)

Voyager I

aH

you might do not care but the leagues actually do. because if they let you pass with the argument “it might just f%ckin’ CS:S!” then they would passively support cheaters no? there’s no serious league that would handle it like that. let alone multigaming platforms.. it’s some kind of respect for each other and their work.

Funny you say that, because going by these rules the argument “It’s just CS 1.6” would work fine. You could even hack in competitive CS with no penalty, but god help you if you hacked in a CS:S pub at any point.

If you’re going to take an moral stand against hackers, it shouldn’t matter what engine they sinned on. Hell, you should even be investigating people for hacking on games outside of Steam. Until the rules actually work something like this, you can’t really make the “we hate hackers” argument.

Spary

Here we go again…

Too many tl;dr posts here though I totally agree with what you guys are talking about. o/

Stop banning people for stupid reasons like “HEY~! you cheated on your gf you r banned from tf2!”.

Norris

Voyager I, it’s pretty easy. if anyone hacked on 1.6 then they usually got global banned of the whole HL engine (incl dod and tfc) as soon as someone actually found out their account got vac’d. there’s no chance an admin would ever trust you that you actually only hacked in this game. everyone would come up with this argument no? Why even starting this shit and acting like a ‘tard on cs pubs anyway? If anyone is to blame then the one who just was stupid enough to get caught with his competitive account even he knew about the risks. it’s still the same if you hack on the Source engine. u’ll get banned from all Source games. the league is just following Valve on this and it always has been like that in several leagues in the past.

the reason why I wouldn’t take over HLengine bans as well is that most likely the players already suffered their ban. fair enough they still can’t even connect to secured HLengine server, are still marked and had to move on to another game. probably learned their lesson by now.

Chubbsta

If anyone is to blame then the one who just was stupid enough to get caught with his competitive account even he knew about the risks.

So its ok if you have multiple accounts and cheat all the time as long as its not your main account? Somehow that doesnt sound right…..

Last edited by Chubbsta,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »