Forum

remove Wildcard 24hrs rule

Created 29th October 2009 @ 11:37

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Daggial

fap

“A wildcard has to be used at least 24 hours before the game is supposed to start.”
Yesterday happened some unlucky events to my team that brought me to think this rule has to be removed. I will explain what happened later, but you can just read the first raws of this thread if you are not interested in it (i’d like admins to read it at least).

The wildcard has to be used when a team has an urgent problem, but the problems can happen everytime, also a minute before the match. Getting a default loss due to a sudden problem and not depending directly on your team members is not really fair. This is the main reason of why i think the 24hrs limit has to be removed.
“The opposing team must have a guarantee on the match” somebody can say, i just think the opposing team can find another team to practice with for that night.
“Rules can always be abused, for example somebody can use the wildcard just to screw the opponent team in the last week of the season”: ok, i can accept an exception for the last week, but not all the season really. I think solving these kind of problems is part of the admin’s work, they are used to it and can do it also for these cases.

Discuss!

I will now explain what happened yesteday night, I just want you to know that i lost 2 hours trying to handle the issue, that still isn’t completely solved (this just depends on the opponent team decision).

1) One of our members (Wanted) got his steam account stolen yesterday. He obvously sent the request to recover it, but Valve still have to answer. A friend of Wanted’s gave him his own unused account, to let him play while he can’t get his own account back.
2) Today we have a match at 21.00 CET, i came online yesterday evening and after i discovered the issue, asked to an admin (Anrolif) what do i have to do. He said me to ask the opponent team to allow him to play with the other account, like a ringer.
3) I talked to a player of the other team, he said me he couldn’t answer because his teammates were offline (OT – he is the leader…). Mostly happens that the other team allow, but i can’t be sure about this.
4) The last days 2 of our members said they won’t be online tonight, and we are totally 8 players so we won’t have a backup to play the match, in case the opponent team won’t allow us to play with the “ringer” (lent account).

What’s wrong with this? Who’s the fault of?
-not of my teammate, who got the steam account stolen
-not mine (i also refused to create a second account of the same player and add it to the roster on the site, this is not honest and don’t wan’t to get us banned cause of that)
-not of the opponent team (it’s in their rights to allow or not ringers)
-THE WILDCARD RULE? YES!!!
I’m not saying that is a bad rule, but if there wasn’t the limit of the 24hrs we could solve everything just by using the wildcard, and play the match another date. And actually it’s the only thing that can be changed to prevent these kind of issues happening again in the future.

Fortunately everything was solved itself (not completely but i’m happy now :P):
5) I came back to another admin (Racio), who talked to the opponent team leader which said in case there is no problem to postpone the match in case. TY Racio very much! He took like 40mins to handle everything! Daykillah, promote him to Head Admin section! :))))
6) One of the 2 “backup” members came online after midnight and said me he can be online tonight for the match. We’ll be obviously pleased if we can play with our official medic (Wanted) then a backup one.

Cheers,
Byte.

ops, Daggial :)

Skyride

DUCS

Sounds like a shitty position you get yourself in there Daggial, glad RaCio got it sorted. I don’t see why the other team would even need to discuss this, obviously there is no way to actually prove that it was one of your players on that other account but I personally think its just courteous to allow the other team to use that player and give them the benefit of the doubt, not everyone is trying to get an unfair advantage in this league.

Cloud

.wldcrd!

Nasty stuff, after reading that i’m gonna have to agree, but I can also see it causing huge problems with teams wildcarding with say 5 mins to go to match start.

Perhaps an idea would be to give a late-notice wildcard, so once it goes under 24 hours to the game, you have the next 2/3 days to sort your issue, rather than an entire week or whatever it is

Crux

brz
[hePPa]

True that this rule is making the whole wildcard idea useless if something happens in 24h before the scheduled match. It will become a no-show unless the opponent agree a merc (in case of one member fail) or use of wildcard within 24 hour time.

Isnt this whole Wildcard -idea supposed to be the last straw for the team to by pass default loss?

And while they are limited I can’t see the real use of this rule.

Of course it will mess up the other teams schedule and piss them off for being hyped up for nothing but you can get a prac from IRC within five minutes if you really need to play..

AnimaL

wtf is this wildcard 24hr rule… since when?

compton

cvx|

Tell your clan members to take free Steam game offers on off-season times, not right before a match.

Basically, if you screw things up you SHOULD pay the price. Having to reschedule just before a match is supposed to start is really annoying for the other participant, except if all of their members are at home 24/7.

So just give them a default and be more careful next time. Or if you don’t care that much, get some backup members to your roster.

Last edited by compton,

Crux

brz
[hePPa]

http://etf2l.org/about/rules/#15

Don’t know when added but there it is…

Extremer

Since…forever?

I agree with a change in the 24-hour rule. If shit like this happens within 24 hours before the match, you can’t do anything about it. To get a default loss since you can’t use your wildcard more than 24 hours before the match due to circumstances completely outside your sphere of influence is just silly.

baerbel

trick17
trick17

i like it the way it is, if you really have problems usually the opponent is nice enough and will reschedule.

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

mebe change 1, 24 hrs wildcard to an last minute wildcard (can only be used 1 hour up front, i dunno)

Archangel

amg

change to 6 hours

Crux

brz
[hePPa]

i like it the way it is, if you really have problems usually the opponent is nice enough and will reschedule.

Do you think they will be that nice when your opponent is the one in top of division with your clan and you can win and rise up to next if you get the default win?

Well… I want to hope that everyone would go fair-play-way with this but greed makes shit happen :=)

Either way 4/10 points for this rule!

eX

[j]\\\'
[j]'

That’s not true baerbel.

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

Thats what usually happens in the higher divisions, but still shit happens (like: http://etf2l.org/matches/13131/) where people get probs on the day itself.
If youre isp blocks you, you shouldnt be blamed, definately not beeing forced into a default

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »