Forum

gullywash in primary map pool? :< oh shi

Created 6th September 2009 @ 17:22

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 Next »

iQue

keso

If I remember correctly Yukon has already been played for a TWL season and Waste as well, please correct me if I’m wrong. As far as I know gullywash hasn’t been played in an actual league yet.

I know gullywash has been tested thoroughly though, don’t get me wrong here.

Arnold

DAKKA

it actually has been in preseason cevo although that was an older version.

and tbh even though it has been i barely got any feedback from all those times the map was played.
i got more feedback of spectating pickups and players telling me personally afterwards.

quantity =/ quality

JimmyBreeze

k^m

quantity =/ quality

as proven by cp_gullywash_rc97

Arnold

DAKKA

well i never actually used my many versions as an argument as to why my map would be any better. i already explained that i got little to no feedback in alpha stages and that is basically why the changes had to be made in the end.

Largos^

PRO

I really don’t understand the appeal of yukon. Can someone please explain what makes it a good map? Gullywash seems to be the best of a relatively bad bunch. Get hillside in and fuck all this crap.

I like Yukon because you can run a utility class (mostly sniper) very effectively at mid, and there are always battles at different elevations, rewarding good positioning. There are 3 entrances between each point making backcaps viable, but not too powerful.

Last can be defended with a heavy, sniper, or engie, but the lines of sight have been tweaked so that attackers can creep up slowly from behind the rocks before popping uber.

Creative demomen can find very nifty sticky traps.

Good scouts can flank a lot, but the flanking routes are cramped so if they are caught, a soldier will demolish them.

Honestly, I just enjoy playing it.

Now I ask you: I really don’t understand the appeal of Granary. Can someone please explain to me what makes it a good map?

:D

Also, gry, genuinely not trying to troll. Just think you should put more effort into reaching resolutions instead of being right.

That’s how every admin should be. Granted, it’s difficult to remain impartial.

iQue

keso

Now I ask you: I really don’t understand the appeal of Granary. Can someone please explain to me what makes it a good map?

Same here, it gets really dull pretty fast tbh

kaidus

WiK?

I don’t like granary, but I don’t mind playing it because it’s so familiar. If it was released now as a custom map it would probably be ignored, it’s only popular cause everyone got to know it when they had no choice.

Skyride

DUCS

Nah I think your all wrong.

We need 2fort.

MangyCarface

This thread is a lol and a half

5 entrances to pt 4. Definitely know how to play the map

Go watch some real matches from twl/esea, those guys understand how mid works

IDK why there is such a perceived rivalry between Gullywash and yukon. I’ve never been anything but supportive of GW

This is not to say the attention is undue, but it’s easy to see why the NA scene would be playing yukon but not gullywash and vice versa for EU; I pushed it hard into NA while Arnold was pushing on the EU scene, as he had a position from which to do so. But judging from the rest of the public polls (AMBASSADOR LIMIT 1) I don’t think I’ll take the overall site opinion too harshly.

FWIW yukon went through 4 alphas, then 4 RCs, then 7 additional private 6v6 tests

Largos^

PRO

Wow. The EU community seems perfectly split over Yukon. Current votes on the front page:

308 – Include
303 – Don’t include

Virus_xD

Insomnia

Gullywash is awesome map, dont be silly. But I want yukon too :)

You know… +1

Contra

Be

need new maps!!!

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

why can’t we just include all the best new maps, gully, follower, yukon etc and let the clans choose?

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

why can’t we just include all the best new maps, gully, follower, yukon etc and let the clans choose?

vlad_drac

xoxo

I’ve played a lot of matches on yukon (i play in usa tf2 a bit) and it’s a brilliant map. It would be such a nice addition to the map pool, it’s not VERY hard to learn, it’s not cluttered with loads of pure rubbish, there isn’t 300 ways to get from point 1 to point 5, the dynamic is very nice in matches.

I’ve played a bit on gully too, and as i said from even the early stages of the trials/whatever – the map is far too BUSY. There’s shit everywhere, it’s far too cluttered. Couple that with the fact that there’s 300 different ways to get from point 1 to point 5, and i have it on good authority from a certain friend that you can get to the enemy spawn faster than you can get to point 4.

The worst thing is that the vast majority of the people voting on these maps never even took the time to play them. It’s just a knee-jerk reaction to say no to things you’re not used to. I’m convinced that if people tried these things out, yukon would be in and gully would be filed away. And if not, then not. But at least the vote would be based on experience rather than non-issues such as the nationality of the mapper (why is this relevant?) or how e-famous the guy is (arnold’s new map, or the new map from that guy loodiproo from div6? who’s got a better chance of having his threads read/maps played by decent teams? and who’s more likely to get support from ‘important’ members of the community?). Play the fucking maps that you’re being asked to vote on. It’s in your best interests.

And really, playing these maps on a pickup isn’t the best form of testing. How many pickups have you played that you couldn’t wait for them to finish on badlands and granary? Loads, if you’ve played the same ones as me. If i were to judge those maps based on my experience in a few pickups, i’d have voted no on them too.

It’s this typical lack of desire to change or adjust or try something new that’s also leading us to banning a weapon that, since the changes, doesn’t need banning. If it’s so rediculously good, why isn’t everyone using it all the time? People just don’t like things that they can’t immediately cope with when it comes to tf2.

But i am, of course, repeating what a lot of people have already said. And you know they’re right, deep down :/

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 Next »