Forum

sv_allow_wait_command 0

Created 24th May 2009 @ 19:49

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 Next »

xzr

just l2p lol

Light

amg

I said I’m totally against scripts? No. Some scripts very useful. I don’t know how to explain… But those scripts which related to skill are bad for me. And I don’t think that faster resp change and fast weapon change is part of skill :-) Even if they gives more advantage (but I don’t see now how :-) ).
And to bring some joke again – this two scripts are not violating thumb rule, while autoreloading does.

compton

cvx|

Disallowing wait command also breaks any script that tries to take a status shot. The console fades in, which means that “status;toggleconsole;jpeg” leaves you with a screenshot where the console isn’t yet visible. I also had trouble getting the scoreboard in the shots properly without using waits.

Dunno if it’s fixed yet, but this was the case when I used the script last time.

And Rake brought a good point: it’s easy to circumvent this with mouse macros etc. It mostly punishes those who play honestly, cheaters can just pick any other tool that’s available.

Light

amg

So my only “scripts” is a two binds – say “gl & hf” and bind for recording movie.

Actually, autoreload script must be forbidden, because it violates thumb rule. You cannot play whole game constantly holding R pressed :-)

By your logic, having those two binds also violate The thumb rule. I mean writing glhf takes 2 seconds and writing console commands for recording movie even longer!

My point is: Your arguments are just plain stupid.

I’m loled :-) recording movie is not a playing bind at all. it is used only when I replaying demos. and why “say ‘gh & hf'” violates thumb rule? you can’t do it by hands? may be you have no hands at all? I’m really sorry :-(

Light

amg

Pressing R isn’t exactly my idea of skill.

I’m agree that pressing some key isn’t idea of skill – just because of that I see nothing bad in fast resp change and fast weapon switch scripts.
Idea of skill there – that you should be aware about how many rockets/bullets you have, and when you should reload. If you prefer to press R every 1 sec instead of watching (or counting) your ammo and reload only when you really need it – then ofc it’s waste of keypress :-) But I think it’s not skill too :-)

Light

amg

btw, I’m not here to start holywar about scripting :-)
I said my point of view. You can say it’s ridiculous or stupid. It does change nothing for me. And I even don’t say anything about scripts users. Using them is personal matter.
But obvious advantage of my point is that I have no headache with wait command ;-)

Disallowing wait command also breaks any script that tries to take a status shot. The console fades in, which means that “status;toggleconsole;jpeg” leaves you with a screenshot where the console isn’t yet visible. I also had trouble getting the scoreboard in the shots properly without using waits.

Dunno if it’s fixed yet, but this was the case when I used the script last time.

Bind f5 jpeg

So hard.

And Rake brought a good point: it’s easy to circumvent this with mouse macros etc. It mostly punishes those who play honestly, cheaters can just pick any other tool that’s available.

That’s how it is already, removing waits would make cheating a bit harder.

xtala

And I don’t think that faster resp change and fast weapon change is part of skill :-) Even if they gives more advantage (but I don’t see now how :-) ).

It’s faster than doing it manually, and in theory it that one second could be the difference between a loss or fending of an attack.

Pressing reload has nothing to do with skill on the other hand, afaik you want to keep your weapon as much loaded as possible at all times, so why not use +reload instead of smashing your “r” button?

compton

cvx|

Bind f5 jpeg

So hard.

I’m talking about a script, not a screenshot bind.

That’s how it is already,

You mean people already have ways to circumvent this? Duh, I just said that?

removing waits would make cheating a bit harder.

Agreed, but not hard enough to justify breaking all the scripts.

IMO cheaters are getting too much credit (read: attention), causing inconvenience to honest players.

AnAkkk

compton, seriously it’s not hard to press ESC, type jpeg and status :x

compton

cvx|

compton, seriously it’s not hard to press ESC, type jpeg and status :x

Never said it’s hard. I think it’s just stupid to block all these wait scripts to make cheating harder just by a small bit. Cheaters will cheat anyway.

Just to draw an analogy, DRM rarely causes any problems. But when it does, honest buyers are punished, while all the “cheaters” (=pirates) have no problem pirating the protected material.

Get it?

exm

I agree with campton. Also, nice analogy with DRM protection.

@ Light
You still have to monitor how many rockets you have loaded and how many you have in reserve. The autorelaod script only allows you to stop mashing R like some kinda a caveman.

Voff

nwave`

I think its better to have the SV_ALLOW_WAIT_COMMAND 0 since it stops all banned scripts from working, so press reload or whatever manually :)

Cheers

RaCio

GoT²

You can rewrite most scripts to work without waits.

bind f4 +statusscreen
alias +statusscreen “status;toggleconsole”
alias -statusscreen “jpeg”

seraph

rEJ

Quake players don’t push reload. Guess they’re not as skilled. Heh.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 Next »