Forum

Nations Cup

Created 17th June 2015 @ 15:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »

maidos

if you want be rich then you counter bet sideshows one

Kaneco

Quoted from almightybob

Just had some guy I don’t know try to hit me up for inside information about the Scotland roster to help him with his betting on tonight’s Scotland vs Norway match:

http://i.imgur.com/W9g5It2.png

I can’t believe this is a thing to be honest.

How can you possibly have played the last 2 seasons of etf2l and frequent the forums and never heard of saloon before? Have you been living under a rock? It’s been a thing for like 1 year, and working for like 6 months.

Last edited by Kaneco,

Quoted from almightybob

But putting that aside and taking both the match and the betting surrounding it 100% seriously – why should he get more information than anyone else who placed their bet? Nobody else gets the lineup in advance. Betting using information that is not publicly available is IMO unethical, especially when you are being paid out not by a company like William Hill or Ladbrokes but by your fellow players.

You raise a good point about that but that has more to do with the ethical side of things. Whether you like it or not people are going to try to maximise their earnings by gathering all information possible.

What’s the team’s ELO?, who played the scrims?, did they win their scrims?, who can make it to the official? are all questions that give an indication on how strong the team is. If you can find anything out you have an edge on things.

Meeto

I dunno, personally, I think a teams lineup should be common knowledge and something you know before placing your bets. I mean, that’s how betting usually works in terms of competitive sports, you base your bets on how promising a team looks, and how well they’ve performed in past.

nijoonen

Gaston
8-)

Quoted from Meeto

I dunno, personally, I think a teams lineup should be common knowledge and something you know before placing your bets. I mean, that’s how betting usually works in terms of competitive sports, you base your bets on how promising a team looks, and how well they’ve performed in past.

I’d agree, teams should provide a lineup like a hour before a game, of course last minute changes could happen but it’s still a better way, and like zero effort for the captains.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

is anyone going to compile NC logs or anything?

Popcorp

Quoted from Scissors

is anyone going to compile NC logs or anything?

http://etf2l.org/forum/user/65117/ Contact him

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

How can you possibly have played the last 2 seasons of etf2l and frequent the forums and never heard of saloon before? Have you been living under a rock? It’s been a thing for like 1 year, and working for like 6 months.

Maybe because some people just like to play video games and don’t give a shit about items or bother for bets, I never used it too, nor will I ever, probably.

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from Kaneco

How can you possibly have played the last 2 seasons of etf2l and frequent the forums and never heard of saloon before?

I haven’t played the last two seasons of ETF2L (my team folded at the beginning of S20), and I don’t frequent these forums (my last post before these few was 5 months ago, I’ve posted about half a dozen times total in the last year, and no I’m not just lurking). So maybe that explains it. Also I have very little interest in items or trading in general.

Quoted from kKaltUu

You raise a good point about that but that has more to do with the ethical side of things. Whether you like it or not people are going to try to maximise their earnings by gathering all information possible.

What’s the team’s ELO?, who played the scrims?, did they win their scrims?, who can make it to the official? are all questions that give an indication on how strong the team is. If you can find anything out you have an edge on things.

I get why he wanted to know, I’m just surprised and a little saddened at how pervasive this skin gambling has become that even something like the HL Nations Cup prompts people to tap players they don’t even know for information.

I’m also curious as to why he thought I would tell him. If the information is useful to gamblers but also not publicly available why would I tell some random guy rather than keep it to myself or share it with friends? Doesn’t make sense.

damneasy

Quoted from Sacrilege

[…]

Maybe because some people just like to play video games and don’t give a shit about items or bother for bets, I never used it too, nor will I ever, probably.

He didnt know about it so how do you know he didnt give a shit about it?? The point wasnt that he didnt care about it but that he didnt even know about it…

Hallow

P.O.P

yeah it’s fucking amazing that he doesnt know about saloon no matter his explanation. i’ve known since esrly 2014 or something, as has most people

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from almightybob

[…]

I haven’t played the last two seasons of ETF2L (my team folded at the beginning of S20), and I don’t frequent these forums (my last post before these few was 5 months ago, I’ve posted about half a dozen times total in the last year, and no I’m not just lurking). So maybe that explains it. Also I have very little interest in items or trading in general.

[…]

I get why he wanted to know, I’m just surprised and a little saddened at how pervasive this skin gambling has become that even something like the HL Nations Cup prompts people to tap players they don’t even know for information.

I’m also curious as to why he thought I would tell him. If the information is useful to gamblers but also not publicly available why would I tell some random guy rather than keep it to myself or share it with friends? Doesn’t make sense.

If it brings in new viewers/players, it’s a good thing.

Also I have a solution for random adds looking for information – “Ignore” or “Block”.

almightybob

.ps

Quoted from Hildreth

If it brings in new viewers/players, it’s a good thing.

How many times has that same argument been shot down when people complain about whitelists and weapon bans? Removing those might well increase the number of players and viewers but would also not be good for comp TF2.

And let’s not pretend, Hildreth – we both know TF2 is never going to be a big esport. The audience and the playerbase pretty much overlap. Betting is not going to turn TF2 into the next CS:GO. Do we even break 10k concurrent viewers for finals matches yet?

Although I do look forward to the TF2 equivalent of iBP and the arguments that betting is good for the game then.

Also I have a solution for random adds looking for information – “Ignore” or “Block”.

Is reading comprehension not part of the curriculum south of the border? Because I don’t think I suggested at any point that I can’t get rid of him. That’s not even close to what I was talking about.

Last edited by almightybob,

quintosh

wL.

how is saloon.tf not good for comptf or bringing new players in? wrong point bro

Popcorp

Quoted from almightybob

[…]

How many times has that same argument been shot down when people complain about whitelists and weapon bans? Removing those might well increase the number of players and viewers but would also not be good for comp TF2.

And let’s not pretend, Hildreth – we both know TF2 is never going to be a big esport. The audience and the playerbase pretty much overlap. Betting is not going to turn TF2 into the next CS:GO. Do we even break 10k concurrent viewers for finals matches yet?

You reaaalllyyy haven’t been paying attention to Tf2 lately, each 6s season introduces more and more unlocks, unlocks change almost nothing in 6v6, the most commonly used unlocks are: Loose cannon, Winger, Black box, Conch, CnD, hope you know at least what those unlocks do…

Tf2 matches usually had about 500-600 viewers, recently it’s been peaking above 1,100, while ofc it’s nothing compared to Cs Go/Dota 2, it’s still a huge growth. Saloon.tf helped with Viewer growth, since Tf2 has a lot of Traders, and majority of them would like to bet on matches, especially now since skins came out.

And I guess you haven’t heard about Matchmaking for Tf2 as well, it will bring more players to play competitive, because at the moment, not everyone is aware of it. Tf2 team is trying to accommodate Competitive already, by enabling Hitsound by default, adding a Slider for Viewmodels, Disabling Random Spread on all Valve servers and also balancing out classes and weapons.

While it might not become a HUGE E-Sport, the changes and new features that Valve is adding will be beneficial for Competitive scene, which will result in its growth and exposure.

Last edited by Popcorp,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »