Forum

S20 swiss system matchmaking, mistakes?

Created 8th February 2015 @ 01:19

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Maybe I’m not as well versed on the system as I thought, but shouldn’t (this week) 1st play 2nd, 2nd play 3rd, 3rd play 4th, etc.?

The result is pretty much all Week 1 winners play Week 1 winners, and losers play losers. I can see though that my team which lost last week’s game is playing a team which won last week. This doesn’t really make sense, what’s going on?

Dr. Heinz

★GF
KAAS

Interesting, same for us.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

This is because of accelerated pairing system.

For the first two weeks of the season, the top 50% of each tier are given 6 invisible points which cannot be seen on the table. The fixtures are created taking these invisible points into consideration. That means if you got 0 points in Week 1 and you are matched with a team with 6 points; congratulations because we think you’re in the top 50% of your tier! And vice versa.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

thanks

RenTas

.:ne:.
Š&S

And how will the swiss system work when week 3 begins. Will you just get completely random opponents or wat?

haris

FLANK

I find this quite interesting, because my team got matched up with a team that played Div 4 last season. Yea, they got destroyed there, but what are they doing in open then? Kind of unfair in my eyes tbh.
http://etf2l.org/matches/56565/

ducky

Quoted from haris

I find this quite interesting, because my team got matched up with a team that played Div 4 last season. Yea, they got destroyed there, but what are they doing in open then? Kind of unfair in my eyes tbh.
http://etf2l.org/matches/56565/

Getting “destroyed” in Div 4 last season obviously means that your team is probably better off in Div 5.
Just as a reminder: Open tier consists of teams who’d be considered Div 5/6 if we were to use the previous system,so being in open is perfectly fine for the team that you’ve mentioned.

Now to answer your question:
Why were you put against them in spite of being a new team?

The new system doesn’t take team history into account when seeding teams, aside from the invisible top/bottom seed that teams get before the start of the season, which is done manually by admins.

Only your performance in the current season is used to determine which teams being placed against each other would make for the most even matchups.

Your team has won their Week 1 match,just like they did.
Being matched together means that ,due to your initial seed aswell as your Week 1 victory, the system has determined that the two of you should be equally skilled.

Now is this an 100% correct estimation? Not necessarily.

The first 2 weeks might be imbalanced in some cases,even with the accelerated pairing that we use.
But that’s just an inevidable part of the system,it will definitely make for more equal matches from Week 3 onwards, if it hasn’t already.

Read the Swiss FAQ ( http://etf2l.org/help/swiss-system-faq/ ) and Swiss Questions Forum Thread ( http://etf2l.org/forum/feedback/topic-30781/ ), they contain important information which’d answer a lot of potential questions about the system, including the one/s you’ve asked us just now.

ducky

Quoted from RenTas

And how will the swiss system work when week 3 begins. Will you just get completely random opponents or wat?

Nono,in fact it will be the exact opposite:

From Week 3 onwards you should be getting more balanced games (compared to Week 1+2) since your match record for that season has developed in a way that the system can use to place you against teams that’ve performed equally well.

Of course there can be some exceptions, for instance when default wins were involved in your previous matches, but the more the season progresses the easier it is to accurately determine each teams skill level within their tier and generate fixtures based on that.

RenTas

Š&S

So the more you win, the stronger opponents will you keep getting until the end of season? Sounds a bit dumb. cause at the end of s20 some bad teams will be above decent or good teams just because threy got shittier match ups.

Last edited by RenTas,

Phnx

Quoted from RenTas

So the more you win, the stronger opponents will you keep getting until the end of season? Sounds a bit dumb. cause at the end of s20 some bad teams will be above decent or good teams just because threy got shittier match ups.

what do you want?

RenTas

Š&S

Nothing. Just curious

ash

(Legend)
:D

If you win all your shitty games you will still end up playing against the actually good teams. If you win those … well, you deserve to high placement.

Edit: Also, there’s still playoffs at the end of the season.

Last edited by ash,

ducky

Quoted from RenTas

So the more you win, the stronger opponents will you keep getting until the end of season? Sounds a bit dumb.

The whole point of this new system is to try and arrange even matchups throughout the season.

If you win more it doesn’t mean that you’ll get opponents who are stronger than you, they’ll be even to you point-wise and therefore as even skill-wise as we can arrange it to be.

Sure, these “good” teams will be stronger than the overall tier (hence why it’s called “top” seed) but to a certain extent they should be equal amongst themselves.

The season isn’t an endurance.
We’re not trying to stop win streaks by throwing top teams in peoples ways until they lose a match.
We’re trying to determine how much of a top team you are yourself…and to be the best you’ve got to beat the best.

At the end of s20 some bad teams will be above decent or good teams just because threy got shittier match ups.

Not really. For these “shitty match ups” (e.g. fixtures vs teams who are on the bottom end of the tier) to make any difference on your overall placement of the tier they’d have to occur very consistently.

To illustrate: Being a “bad” team you’d have to be placed against an even worse team, win, then get placed against an even worse team again, win etc. throughout the entire season.

However ,with the exception of MAYBE your Week 1+2 matches, these kind of match seedings will never happen.

Winning a previous week match will place you against a “good” team for your next week (good as in they’ve won their previous week match aswell, or if it’s multiple weeks they got about as good of a match history as you do).

So unless you are the absolute best team in your tier, or consider every team that loses to you to be “shitty”, you will never face worse teams consistently enough for it to make a difference.

No “bad” team will get anywhere near the top half of the tier with nothing but “lucky” matchups.

RenTas

Š&S

wtf is this. I can’t play against shit teams and win the season(((

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

I’d just like to mention that the fixtures for Open will be considerable more random, since trying to determine the best 98~ teams from Open was very hard and more than likely not too accurate

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »