Forum

Why is plog banned?

Created 14th March 2014 @ 19:24

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

wpminnows

[PG]

Quoted from dodgydogman

Because it, like many badly designed weapons in tf2, is worse overall compared to its stock counterpart but has a mechanic which allows easy cheap kills. This is no fun to play against.

it doesn’t have airblast so it’s probably the most fun flamethrower to play against

Goreston

Quoted from 4hp

How to deny idiot phlog pyro:

step 1 – get pyro with a real flamethrower

step 2 – have pyro with real flamethrower airblast the idiot phlog pyro

step 3 – focus idiot phlog pyro

step 4 – idiot phlog pyro is now dead, and at most you lost your non-idiot real flamethrower pyro but it’s not like he’s that useful anyway.

The problem with these posts is that they assume pyro with phlog would play the same as pyro without phlog. Of course it’s easy to shut him down if he has no support, but in organised play that’s not going to be the case.

Doing 200 damage is laughably easy, especially if the medic treats you as a damage class and hands out heals accordingly. You could start every KOTH round by m1-ing across the point, activating mmmph, and forcing the enemy team to either focus you and die to the rest of your team or ignore you and die to crits.

On top of that, phlog combines well with unlocks like the whip, the concheror and the quick fix, just to name a few examples off of the top of my head. You’re basically trading your pyro for the ability to have kritz and uber/quick fix at the same time.

Last edited by Goreston,

Zangetsu

4SKINGS

it is banned because its total shit
just like vitasaw,atomizer and many other useless weapons

4hp

hm, I totally forgot about the quick-fix. Now you gave me food for thought. m1 pyro can’t do mmph damage if he’s getting knocked around though. at best you use detonator/scorch shot and spam flares from far away until you have the charge

Last edited by 4hp,

Goreston

Quoted from Zangetsu

I feel like I’m responding to an obvious troll here, but Atomizer isn’t banned, and Vitasaw isn’t banned for being useless – in fact it’s the opposite. If one medic runs it, the other medic has to as well, or be at a constant uber disadvantage.

Freakie

KOLAR
.awkward

Quoted from Zangetsu

Funny, because the Atomizer is super strong and the Vita-Saw can have a massive impact.

fkp

Quoted from 4hp

How to deny idiot phlog pyro:

step 1 – get pyro with a real flamethrower

step 2 – have pyro with real flamethrower airblast the idiot phlog pyro

step 3 – focus idiot phlog pyro

step 4 – idiot phlog pyro is now dead, and at most you lost your non-idiot real flamethrower pyro but it’s not like he’s that useful anyway.

When idiot phlog pyro use MMPHH-crits, you have not many chances to stay alive. 6-7 seconds.

Fuxx

REMOVE

I’d argue that it’s “shit” in the sense that it is absolutely disgusting to play against.

MIGHTY BURGER ツ

I thought it was banned because of the possibility of taunt cancellation when disrupted by knockback damage. This would be the only serious justification that I see.

It simply requires a different team meta, and I’d be curious to see what people come up with if it was unbanned.
Probably with a Heavy playing more passively and the pyro receiving more ubers / megaheals for cleaning jobs. Or conversely, as a “wild card” weapon for koth.

Using the “airblast counters this” argument is a borderline joke, an insult to the intelligence of those who have the good sense to get important picks before barging in, and an insult to medics who know who to uber/flash, when and for what. The same rule would apply for a Heavy uber to some extent. Heavy has the range, and pyro the pursuing power.

The downside of the phlog is that it restricts your freedom of movement by making you rely a lot more on your teammates for protection, especially if your adversaries decide to shut you down as much as possible. It also restricts your loadout choice by making the flare guns a necessity rather than an option.

Last edited by MIGHTY BURGER ツ,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3