Forum

Diamondback in season 17?

Created 5th January 2014 @ 22:34

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

The ambassador makes a huge difference and it’s not to do with the weapon itself but the change it makes to how you can play the class.

OK so at the moment in EU tf2 (or at least the top end where everything is more organised and follows theory more closely as opposed to random stuff happening) the only offensive offclasses that are routinely used is sniper. There is this whole injoke that “Offclasser of the Season” just means who was the best sniper. Spy almost never gets used in comparison as a pick class even though its purpose in the metagame is to do just that. Sniper is the better choice in so many more situations because you can kill them from a long way away and therefore not die for your pick.

The idea of adding the diamondback is that you’re giving a boost to the spy’s abilities whilst still keeping the class’s purpose the same. He has to get behind, he has to uncloak and approach without being detected all the same as before and there is still a 90% chance that he’s gonna die straight afterwards. But now he has a higher chance of getting off that pick (or even two) which means you’re at an advantage for that nice skillful play your spy just pulled off.
I think this unlock will encourage a bit more spy play because it makes him more powerful whilst not allowing him to play outside his “designated role”.

Now the counter argument to this is that it has only been designated by us anyway, it’s just tradition that the spy has to be played in this way. By adding an unlock like the ambassador, you could totally change the way you can play spy, as he would do 102 damage from any range quite a bit easier than a sniper can. In my opinion, this is a lot worse than having the two distinct options to offclass as a long-range pick class which requires aim and can be denied; and a suicidal pick class which is very powerful once it takes the effort to get into position.

The metagame of 6v6 works well by having these set and defined roles for classes, every class has a job with their own strengths and weaknesses and teamwork has to come into play to cover the weaknesses of your teammates.

Switch

soL.
T⑨

lol

DavidTheWin

(ETF2L Donator)
BTWFC
[ᴛᴍᴍ]

Quoted from Starkie

force a nature?
does this mean the fabled return of arx?

https://twitter.com/arxandbeta/status/420139102483537920

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

I keep thinking this thread is about the razer mouse :(

MARS^

(ETF2L Donator)
ANIMA
Nein

I think the main problem with the amby in 6s is that spies can easily get behind enemy lines and hit headshots from far away, which forces the enemy to go back and kill him if they don’t want their medic killed by two headshots.

hawku

AYO

I wanted a watch omg

Kaneco

Quoted from Starkie

[…]
you have to scope in as sniper so you can counter him

whilst I agree that it takes skill and you should reward it, there’s a much higher chance of getting a lucky kill than the other weapons. if someone gets lucky with the ambassador, there is nothing you could’ve done to kill him (unlike the other classes/weapons)

I literally don’t get this….

“if someone gets lucky with the ambassador”

You click on heads, you get an headshot as a reward, you don’t click on heads by chance, you have to actually aim for that or near that at least, some of you act like you land amby headshots 24/7.

Newsflash, people also get lucky airshots, like they literally spasm their hand and hit some ridiculous airshot every so often, does that mean the rocket launcher should be banned? I know Im being ridiculous here, but Im just following your logic. My point is, if you hit shots (whatever they are, headshots, airshots, etc) chances are your intention was to hit that shot, even if you weren’t certain you would hit it, unless you get a literal lucky shot on someone you weren’t even aiming for.

Plus it can’t 1-hit kill any class in the game (unlike the sniper), so you have to land at least 2 headshots to kill any class (but scout which needs 1 head + 1 body only). Landing 2 consecutive headshots with the amby is not an easy feat, there is a huge delay between when you can hit headshots and besides that spy is one of the most vulnerables and slow classes of the game, so even if he lands a “lucky headshot” as you put it (I dont actually believe in lucky headshots, especially if you’re playing at a high level) he still has to land another one or 2 bodies at least. And he would be much more usefull just backstabbing.

I’m not against the diamondback, I am for more diversity even, but its quite appalling that 2 of the most interesting spy items that have been around literally for years, untouched (ambassador and cloak and dagger) and really offer a different and interesting toolset for the spy are getting ignored with the inclusion of a much more recent weapon and basically new weapon which was just completely changed 2 weeks ago

Even the kunai is more interesting than the diamondback.

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

I said there was a much higher chance

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from MARS^

I think the main problem with the amby in 6s is that spies can easily get behind enemy lines and hit headshots from far away, which forces the enemy to go back and kill him if they don’t want their medic killed by two headshots.

You don’t need 6 people to kill a spy you know

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

But why would you want to add a weapon which allows a class designed for suicidal and clutch pick plays (which takes a risk/benefit analysis from the player) to sit back as far away as he likes doing 102 damage every few seconds? What does that possibly add to the game?

kronis

NASA
hi im dog

FUck coalplant. -40 fps. Please remove and add metalworks back.

Kaneco

Quoted from Sideshow

But why would you want to add a weapon which allows a class designed for suicidal and clutch pick plays (which takes a risk/benefit analysis from the player) to sit back as far away as he likes doing 102 damage every few seconds? What does that possibly add to the game?

That would take a real retard to pick spy over sniper to sit back trying to hit some headshots. At that point you’re taking over other pick class jobs and you’re only gonna be penalized for it, I don’t even see the advantage your trying to portray here, more like a disadvantage if someone is retard enough to do that.

Sure, on a very rare occasion someone might actually play that card right and as someone said sneak in behind and land some crazy double headshot behind the enemy line instead of going for the backstab, but, isn’t that the whole point of unlocks, to add some excitement and crazy plays to the game? If that happened I would go crazy over it, because it would be pretty damn awesome. You’re talking like it would happen 24/7 which it wouldn’t.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

No it’s not about that being the purpose, but very often people take a pick class and then by the time they get into a position to use it, the game has developed and they can’t do shit. So you choose spy, they’re already pushed in or they’ve taken up a different position, they have people spy-checking near the med, whatever. The point is that now you can just sit back at a distance and aim for headshots (and you’re acting like people never hit ambassador headshots which is madness when you look at some of the aimers in prem). You’ve made the class a lot easier by opening up this new avenue because people now don’t get punished if they choose it at a shit time or read the situation wrong and can’t get in position.

Henghast

open
bobs

Coalplant rapes FPS in two important areas not exactly something I’d want putting into the map pool.

If only we had an avenue to test these changes before making them ad hoc.

doks

coalplant removes 50 fps on mid…
i guess my team will need a merc for 2 WEEKS… while gully is on 1 week.
Canfo… pls come back

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »