Forum

[6v6] Unofficial Giant Unlocks Poll!

Created 30th June 2012 @ 10:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 10 Next »

Thomas the train

Quoted from Beater

[…].

I understand where you’re coming from…

But it’s just what you have to do. What is a simpler less dynamic game? one where at mid you know what order people will show up at, and where they’ll come from. Or one where your whole team has to be able to adapt on the spot in case of a gboats rollout coming through train on badlands, or the enemy goes to spire/choke holds and builds with a basher with kritz knowing that you have to force your hand or die? Certain unlocks allow so much more depth without retracting much from the game. Obviously it is your own leagues choice, but having a cup testing it wouldn’t be TERRIBLE would it? the U.S. did the Cevo vanilla challenge(sorta). And it just seemed simpler. After 20-25 scrims on a map there are very few surprising strats the enemy can pull on a map like granary or badlands.

Gullywash has a few more, but most of those are just placing a heavy in a certain place, or placing a sniper at mid.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Thomas the train

[…]

I understand where you’re coming from…

But it’s just what you have to do. What is a simpler less dynamic game? one where at mid you know what order people will show up at, and where they’ll come from.

This doesn’t really happen though, with or without unlocks. Every single midfight is unique.
I’d rather see a mid fight won by the stronger team than won by the team who got lucky with their choices of equipment.

Thomas the train

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

This doesn’t really happen though, with or without unlocks. Every single midfight is unique.
I’d rather see a mid fight won by the stronger team than won by the team who got lucky with their choices of equipment.

how is it lucky? do you just go and throw pain at a canvas and “get lucky” with the painting that comes out(LOL with modernism, you sort of do.) do you throw ingredients into a pan, and then throw them into an oven? Does a space launch just randomly choose a day, and angle for their launch? Doing those things and coming out with the Mona Lisa, and a perfect paella, and hitting the “warm spot” to land on mars everytime would be raw luck.

You go to the mid with a plan, you don’t randomly go “hm gunboats sure would be fun, i’ll just put them on not tell anyone and see what happens.” because if you do this as a roamer you’re essentially ‘putting a square peg, in a round hole’ . it isn’t random luck it’s all strats. Every time you go to mid you know where your scouts are, or will be, where your demo should be, where the combo is entering at, and the roamers plan on what to do correct? with gunboats it’s the same freaking thing :). The enemy would have to be completely ignorant and maybe mentally challenged(with no intention of offending anyone that really is) to not have a plan for what happens if you run gun boats or not. And if they have not plan, and yet your team does have one to counter it, if they do the same thing do you not deserve that win? Or was it raw luck you planned out your fight and strats and knew what you were suppose to accomplish and had retaliation plans for almost every single thing you could think of?

Spike Himself

TC

I’m at a loss for words.

NoJu

8D

. . . he’s talking about the pot luck cluster fuck you get when you have to react to your opponents unlock choices. So instead of being able to read a move from positioning and shit, you have to notice two little metal things on the soldiers feet which allow him to do eighteen rocket jumps to mid and arrive there in time to have a cup of tea and a sandwich before your demo shows up.

I may be exaggerating, I won’t lie

Kaneco

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Why are people still using this argument that unlocks are not skill based???
If you get killed by a soldier with gunboats you would have got killed as well by a soldier with a shotty, probably the shotty soldier would be more efficient as it has that clutch finisher…

Quoted from NoJu

. . . he’s talking about the pot luck cluster fuck you get when you have to react to your opponents unlock choices. So instead of being able to read a move from positioning and shit, you have to notice two little metal things on the soldiers feet which allow him to do eighteen rocket jumps to mid and arrive there in time to have a cup of tea and a sandwich before your demo shows up.

You adapt, that’s what you do. You don’t need to know everything about an enemy to block him or read him, if he’s using gunboats you have the same chance of airshotting him, or meatshotting him, you have the same tools to block a gunboats soldier that you have to block a shotty soldier, you just need to adapt to which one it is, if anything that makes the game more interesting and challenging.

Thomas the train

Quoted from NoJu

I don’t know of any map aside from warmfront where a demo is normally slower then the gboats if the demo takes the fastest roll out. on badlands the balc roll out beats any demoman. Gully, has faster obviously, snake, granary( questionable, but demoman does get there quicker by a tiny bit.) also you know the whole “hear a chain of rocket jumps, way before anyone can be there”= new gboat buddy coming for a hug.

envy

Quoted from Beater

If you don’t know whether the engy is running widow maker, stock shotty or the frontier justice, it becomes impossible to consistently make the right decisions in fights since you ‘re never certain what your direct opponent is capable of.

“Sorry, I need 5 minutes to come up with a strategy how to fight each unlock, chess is my favorite game btw”.
Weapon switching is not immediate, and very few of them works in passive, like razorback etc, If you need more than 1 second to react to weapon switch and adapt your defense, well, maybe FPS is not a type of game you need?
Talking about my experience playing as scout, it was always interesting to me with what defensive weapon enemy medic will be playing. More over, switching it in the middle of round was even more entertaining.

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

Why are people still using this argument that unlocks are not skill based???
If you get killed by a soldier with gunboats you would have got killed as well by a soldier with a shotty, probably the shotty soldier would be more efficient as it has that clutch finisher…

Aside from the fact I don’t think you know what “clutch” means, you’re wrong. A gunboats Soldier can get to areas faster and with more health than a Shotgun Soldier. When you die to a gunboats Soldier it is very likely you were in a position where a Shotgun Soldier wouldn’t have killed you.

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

You adapt, that’s what you do. You don’t need to know everything about an enemy to block him or read him, if he’s using gunboats you have the same chance of airshotting him, or meatshotting him, you have the same tools to block a gunboats soldier that you have to block a shotty soldier, you just need to adapt to which one it is, if anything that makes the game more interesting and challenging.

And how do you adapt to something you can’t see? A Scout using the Atomizer, Soldier with Gunboats and more stuff like that – how do you know which one it is and respond accordingly?

Quoted from envy

[…]
“Sorry, I need 5 minutes to come up with a strategy how to fight each unlock, chess is my favorite game btw”.
Weapon switching is not immediate, and very few of them works in passive, like razorback etc, If you need more than 1 second to react to weapon switch and adapt your defense, well, maybe FPS is not a type of game you need?
Talking about my experience playing as scout, it was always interesting to me with what defensive weapon enemy medic will be playing. More over, switching it in the middle of round was even more entertaining.

Don’t exaggerate. You need a few seconds at best, and good players usually only need a few seconds to kill you i.e. you don’t have that time.

WLAN-Kabel

[CWC]

In my opinion, some unlocks would add lots of new tactics into 6v6. At current state, while pub scene constantly is growing and developing,the 6v6 scene is standing still…..same maps,same tactics, same weapon sets. Thats why many players quit to other games I think.

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

I said yes to…

Scout
– Shortstop
– Bonk
– Boston Basher
Soldier
– Black Box
– Gunboats
– Pain Train
– Escape Plan
Pyro
– Flare Gun
Heavy
– Sandvich
Medic
– Blutsauger
– Crusader Crossbow
– Overdose
– Kritzkreig
– Ubersaw
Sniper
– Jarate
Misc
– Pyrovision

Awaiting incoming angry mob!

Last edited by Alx,

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Alx

I said yes to…
Soldier
– Black Box

Why?

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Quoted from herpderp

[…]

Why?

Something fun to experiment with, not just same old. Not many would use it though.

Last edited by Alx,

Wabbeh

Quoted from Alx

[…]
experiment with

Derp

Ordinator

tuhi

lmao again this unlocks walls of text, just look at s9, that what will happen to etf2l if they allow unlocks again.

Last edited by Ordinator,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 10 Next »