Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next »

comedown

4-25

Remove gravelpit, add croissant

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

Quoted from CUBE

Most frustrating map to play, most entertaining map to watch.

Word. Therefore, keep it.

herpderp

DAKKA

Remove freight, add croissant.

Competitive TF2 shouldn’t have maps that include random elements that have an effect on the outcome of the map.

On top of that it’s just a fucking awful map.

Trane

Quoted from herpderp

I second this motion. Leave gpit in though, despite what enef says it is kinda refreshing to play a map with a different game dynamic.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

My issue with gravelpit is that it is played in such a different way compared to 5cp that I don’t think it’s fair that it’s being played in only 2 match weeks. It provides uneven odds and doesn’t match up every team against eachother in a fair way.

In a sense, it’s already a skewed thing that we play different maps vs different enemies. I guess it’s fine because they are all 5cp anyway, and even though the map geometry is of extreme influence, the fundamental metagame and its flow is not really changed between 5cp maps.

Is it an insanely huge problem? I guess not. In the end, every team gets their chance on gpit, albeit against different enemies. So you can’t really argue that the current situation is truly fair. The only solution would be to remove gpit completely from the map pool, and stick with just 5cp, or (spontaneous idea!) to make every map week bo3 with gpit as decider map (yay even longer match times xD). There’s obviously a third option (gpit becomes every match week’s 2nd map, so it’s 5cp+gpit every week), but I think we all agree that we don’t wanna play gpit that often :D

Or keep gpit only for special events like playoffs and tiebreakers, or allow gentlemen’s agreements to play gpit instead of any other scheduled map, if both teams agree. (for instance: both teams don’t like freight, they decide to play gpit instead)

Last edited by skeej,

Dummy

Quoted from skeej

My issue with gravelpit is that it is played in such a different way compared to 5cp that I don’t think it’s fair that it’s being played in only 2 match weeks. It provides uneven odds and doesn’t match up every team against eachother in a fair way.

In a sense, it’s already a skewed thing that we play different maps vs different enemies. I guess it’s fine because they are all 5cp anyway, and even though the map geometry is of extreme influence, the fundamental metagame and its flow is not really changed between 5cp maps.

Is it an insanely huge problem? I guess not. In the end, every team gets their chance on gpit, albeit against different enemies. So you can’t really argue that the current situation is truly fair. The only solution would be to remove gpit completely from the map pool, and stick with just 5cp, or (spontaneous idea!) to make every map week bo3 with gpit as decider map (yay even longer match times xD). There’s obviously a third option (gpit becomes every match week’s 2nd map, so it’s 5cp+gpit every week), but I think we all agree that we don’t wanna play gpit that often :D

Or keep gpit only for special events like playoffs and tiebreakers, or allow gentlemen’s agreements to play gpit instead of any other scheduled map, if both teams agree. (for instance: both teams don’t like freight, they decide to play gpit instead)

gentlemens agreement would be fun skeej, but instead of writing essays come on irc so i can annoy someone

Enef

fest
#wubafan

Quoted from herpderp

Competitive TF2 shouldn’t have maps that include random elements that have an effect on the outcome of the map.

On top of that it’s just a fucking awful map.

remove gully, add Sawmill.

Remove granary, add well.

Random factors are fun and this game is so shit to play thrse days watching retards that can’t listen for the huge ringing sounds or their teammates calls when a train is coming is fun as hell :D

edit: also ALLOW MARKET GARDENER.

Last edited by Enef,

Dummy

Quoted from Enef

[…]

remove gully, add Sawmill.

Remove granary, add well.

Random factors are fun and this game is so shit to play thrse days watching retards that can’t listen for the huge ringing sounds or their teammates calls when a train is coming is fun as hell :D

edit: also ALLOW MARKET GARDENER.

Poor quality trolling Enef, saying “replace blands with sawmill” would have been much more succesfull

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I just wanna remove maps i dont like playing :)

Blands best map in tf2 (badwater close 2nd)

SnowiE

-9w-
-9m-

Here’s a post I made in the admin forum in August 2010, before the start of season 8 –

I’m going to be controversial and suggest that we consider dropping gravelpit.
Reasons –

1. Since adding the golden cap, the map frequently takes 40-50 minutes. This makes getting games arranged and played on time even harder.

2. I’m not convinced gravelpit is a good spectator map. In the first round of PwR vs Dignitas at assembly, the total time was 11 minutes 32 seconds. Of that, the medics were in combat only 6 minutes of it. The second round lasted 16 minutes 12 seconds, of which the medics were in combat for 7 minutes 58 seconds. So basically half of the time on gravelpit is spent without any major combat going on (capping A, building uber, moving from point, capping B). Obviously there is a certain amount of downtime on other maps, but gravelpit has the most by far.

3. Two of the more controversial unlocks are most useful on gravelpit – the wrangler and natasha. Both of these are most useful because the defenders can afford to run these classes with less risk because they don’t need to push out. Also the range of the capture points benefits them. Slowing down enemies from a distance with the natasha is most noticable on this map. Should we allow them, we can minimise their potential for frustration and being overpowered by not having gravelpit in the map pool.

4. Before the golden cap was introduced, a lot of people claimed 2 round gravelpit was unfair because a single event can cause a ‘lucky’ round win for the opponent. Since the golden cap only adds one extra round, this ‘problem’ has not gone away, it is simply reduced slightly.

5. I worry that having too many game modes over complicates TF2 for both the audiences and players. CS money prize tournaments only run on de (defuse) maps. COD only runs on the same game mode. The differences between gravelpit and 5 point CP maps are small, but significant. This is also one reason why I prefered to see cp_coldfront introduced in AFS instead of koth_viaduct, even though I was initially extremely positive on it. When I first saw Wireplay’s 6v6 season 6 map list made up entirely of 5 point CP maps, it looked like a really brave move, it was a shame to see that they didn’t go through with it.

Whilst I certainly don’t think AvD is the failure that CTF is in TF2, I do think maybe it would be interesting to move it away from regular season play. We could still keep gravelpit in for the playoffs and for cup competitions, I just think it warrants a debate.

Obviously some of this is out of date :D but lots of it still applies, namely that there’s a lot of downtime where nothing happens on gravelpit, making it less fun to play and less fun to watch for me. I also totalled up all the map screenshots submitted for the start of either season 9 or 10, I can’t find it at the moment but gravelpit was the least submitted map screenshot (two of those were from my own clan, two from another team). Even custom maps like bazillion and warmfront had more screenshot submissions. Considering the importance placed on it in a league season, no one plays it in PCWs which is a bad thing.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

I hate the fact I can never get a gpit game. It is by far the best map in terms of teamwork and allowing certain classes to shine.

I got to play 5 different classes in my official, was awesome <3

People need to starting doing more in PCWs. The reason why people don't like it is cos they never play it, then complain that they get rolled by a team who has spent some time going over it.

Personally I hate Gravelpit for the fact you can dominate 99% of the time and still lose 2-0 on 2 clutch shots/moments.

Quoted from Enef

add Sawmill.

Personally I would actually like to play ctf_sawmill in 6v6 :D

GeaR

Epsilon

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

Personally I hate Gravelpit for the fact you can dominate 99% of the time and still lose 2-0 on 2 clutch shots/moments.

Yes. It’s the ultimate decider map, but not suitable for league play, especially when there are no points for a golden cap round. Gravelpit is never played in pcws and I don’t see why we shouldn’t introduce another map which is more likely to be played and one being actually fun to play.

Ghostface

spire

Koth maps please.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Quoted from Ghostface

Koth maps please.

Just a DM fest, boring, not what TF2 is about.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next »