Forum

Season 11 has an incorrect number of weeks

Created 11th March 2012 @ 18:12

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

TheSucker

[d¿s]

Quoted from Poop

I can’t play the last two officials :'(
[…]but you can’t be like oh hey week 7 opponent, I know you haven’t practised week 7 maps but let’s play it week 1.

Are you aware of what maps are played in week 7? Both maps have been played earlier in the league, there’s no new map in the last week of this season (and there never will be a new map for this week in future seasons either unless they change things up), so it feels like a bad excuse. Besides, when knowing you can’t participate in the two latest weeks of the season, planning ahead seems even more crucial I’d say.

Aaand this really shouldn’t have caught anyone by surprise, seeing as the admins made it fairly clear that there wouldn’t be a catch-up week when the season started. Not to mention the fact that almost every news post contained information concerning the playoff dates (yes, I say almost because when I actually wanted to know the playoff dates, the first post I found lacked them and I got very upset. Bad Crasp!) which obviously is played after the normal league matches are done.

Last edited by TheSucker,

Quoted from Dr-GimpfeN

[…]

you also have to play 2 matches this week.

+1 to extend the week to sunday 18/03 would help alot

Yep, we delayed our officials on purpose as we only had 4 people until week 4, and we’re finishing on time. :)

IPZIE

SUAVE

what would be the disadvantage doing it?

Quoted from IPZIE

what would be the disadvantage doing it?

Teams that actually followed the rules would feel cheated?

Kritzonite

qn.

Quoted from TheSucker

You choose when to play your matches. You’re free to move the week 1 match to week 7 as long as you simply notify the admins about it + agree with the opponents.

This is the crux of it – you don’t choose when to play your matches, not unilaterally. It’s a bilateral action that involves the wishes of the other team. All the arguments produced counter to having an extra week are predicated on the absurd notions that you can predict the future 2 months in advance by taking advantage of the pre-season scheduling week and that somehow each team is entirely in control of their own destiny, and not affected by the whims of their opponents.

Even if a team was extremely diligent about their scheduling, they could still end up with multiple games in the final week through no fault of their own, purely as a result of opponents wildcarding games into week 7, and regardless of how well organised you were previously, you may have difficulty getting all those games played.

This is not a professional sport where you can simply set dates well in advance and expect teams to be there for them without question. People combine TF2 with real life commitments and those commitments can emerge without warning, rendering the advance planning arguments meaningless. Week 7 is disproportionately and unfairly subject to sudden player availability issues, and should therefore have the additional catch-up week following it that all other weeks have.

rtan

-9w-

Quoted from TheSucker

[…]
Are you aware of what maps are played in week 7? Both maps have been played earlier in the league, there’s no new map in the last week of this season (and there never will be a new map for this week in future seasons either unless they change things up), so it feels like a bad excuse. Besides, when knowing you can’t participate in the two latest weeks of the season, planning ahead seems even more crucial I’d say.

Aaand this really shouldn’t have caught anyone by surprise, seeing as the admins made it fairly clear that there wouldn’t be a catch-up week when the season started. Not to mention the fact that almost every news post contained information concerning the playoff dates (yes, I say almost because when I actually wanted to know the playoff dates, the first post I found lacked them and I got very upset. Bad Crasp!) which obviously is played after the normal league matches are done.

Doesn’t matter how organised you can be, if your opponents aren’t it hinders your schedule too :)

edit: didn’t see kritz’s post, pretty much what i was trying to say, but more eloquent!

Last edited by rtan,

TheSucker

[d¿s]

First off, you seem to be missing an important part of my post:
Quoted from TheSucker

If you’re afraid of the last week not being enough to play the remaining game(s), then schedule them for week 6 and you’ve created your own catch-up week.

And secondly, may I suggest the idea of using the match comments when trying to be a good with your scheduling? if you’re good at the whole scheduling business, and your opponents aren’t, it means that you’ll be the one deciding when the default date occurs. Wildcards can’t be used in the last week, meaning your suggestion that becomes the default date will stick, and won’t be moved unless you yourself agree on it. And outside of the last week, the only way of moving the default dates is to use wildcard unless both teams agree to move the match, so the whole match page commenting is sort of a good thing, especially in today’s situation as almost no teams ever seem to use it!

Quoted from Kritzonite

[…]This is not a professional sport where you can simply set dates well in advance and expect teams to be there for them without question. People combine TF2 with real life commitments and those commitments can emerge without warning, rendering the advance planning arguments meaningless.

This is a very good point. However, this is why we have the ability to use mercenaries in this fancy game of ours, and also why default wins/losses are a part of it all. The serious teams would rarely be in need of a merc in order to play an official, due to often being available and/or good at planning. These teams would never get a default loss because they would very much prefer to have a chance of winning by simply taking advantage of the merc rule. The less serious teams would be at a greater risk of being of the worse end of it all, but they’d also most likely care less as this league is just some silly fun for them.

There are of course always special cases that would slip through the common stuff. But that are generally special cases that could just as well happen even if there was a catch-up week present here, so meh.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

3 posts in one day?

Oh man, I congratulate my man Paddy for this amazing achievement!

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

On a personal note: it baffles me how people manage to not have all officials done on time. If you’ve been having extreme roster issues or so ok, fair enough, but teams that have had 6 the entire season? What happens there? :s

how many russian teams do you have in your bracket? Yeah I went there.

Quoted from Old_Grandma

[…]

how many russian teams do you have in your bracket? Yeah I went there.

Had 2 in Wireplay, no issues scheduling whatsoever.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3