Forum

How to make ETF2L happy familys again - Unlocks

Created 6th May 2011 @ 19:16

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Tapley ❤

[…]

I’m not claiming this idea as my own :D its just the most logical way forward, its flustrating seeing a thread of 30 or so pages all talking about different things interspaced between random spam flame trolls and other shit – This is the best system so i thaught i’d make a post just for it :] No one has yet come up with a solid reason as to why this wont work or a better way forward – I just hope to get admins attention so they will implement this and create some productive discussion.

Ah I wasn’t trying to discredit you. Just jealous of the fact you get 4 pages of hot discussion for it, and I got nothing! :D

I’ve done a bit of draft idea a few days ago in the admin forum: http://www.abload.de/img/matchpagecheckboxesw9lu.jpg
Only difference being that I went for each weapon separately, but I do think your version, vanilla – non-vanilla, is a better and easier implementation.
Having said that, if you allow teams to tick a box for each weapon, you have the perfect overview of what weapons are used how often, at the end of the season :) We all love statistics!

Quoted from Tapley ❤

[…]

As i’ve said to Ashkan – Communication is key – I know you guys talk alot on the admins forums and do alot of work – but if you dont communicate with your community you just get angry people, trolls and unrest. People need to atleast know you guys are working on a solution, that way there will probably be less pointless threads and “tf2 is dead” speak etc and more people willing to help.

Indeed! This is also one of the things I mentioned in the email I sent to apply for the job, so I guess we’re on the same wavelength :)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

look @ ESL and you see unlocks isnt the real problem :)

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Ah I wasn’t trying to discredit you. Just jealous of the fact you get 4 pages of hot discussion for it, and I got nothing! :D

I’ve done a bit of draft idea a few days ago in the admin forum: http://www.abload.de/img/matchpagecheckboxesw9lu.jpg
Only difference being that I went for each weapon separately, but I do think your version, vanilla – non-vanilla, is a better and easier implementation.
Having said that, if you allow teams to tick a box for each weapon, you have the perfect overview of what weapons are used how often, at the end of the season :) We all love statistics!

Yep that could work too, looks an interesting idea – The main thing is to implement vanilla+medlocks and keep the top tier happy – and a solid consistant base of rules for lans/leagues etc to progress comp tf2.
How etf2l wish to progress the cimmamon/pro unlocks option is another story though, but sort out vanilla+medlocks and the rest shall follow :).

The top tier of TF2 are easy to please (even though it wouldnt appear so) – How you wish to appease the lower divs/public players though is the tough one i’d say – Allow all unlocks? Allow some? It’ll be a never ending arguement espcially with all the new unlocks constantly released. With the system in your screen shot it may become hard to keep track of whats allowed and what isnt? Food for thaught

But yeah tf2 is a hard game to cater for most games get all its guns etc on release day, some have new maps (which cause enough issues) we’re in a unique position so it will require alot of thought (which i’m sure you’re doing :>)

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

helberg

Danmark
DANMARK

omg yes tapley

MR JOHNSON

(^-^)v

….

I like the idea, and it is a good suggestion in my opinion. I think however that you should have some kind of blanket statement (as whoever it was suggested) either vanilla or cinnamon or something along those lines. Otherwise you might well end up in a situation where teams only “allow” unlocks they want to use and if it is a relatively obscure one it might be the only one allowed in that particular game (if I understood everything correctly). Still might not even be a problem. Good idea and something worth pondering on none the less.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from MR JOHNSON

[…]

I like the idea, and it is a good suggestion in my opinion. I think however that you should have some kind of blanket statement (as whoever it was suggested) either vanilla or cinnamon or something along those lines. Otherwise you might well end up in a situation where teams only “allow” unlocks they want to use and if it is a relatively obscure one it might be the only one allowed in that particular game (if I understood everything correctly). Still might not even be a problem. Good idea and something worth pondering on none the less.

Hence they are checkboxes and not radio buttons – you could simply not select anything at all :)
Also don’t forget that it’s just a draft!

I don’t have code access as of yet, and as such I haven’t been able to judge if this is even possible to implement at all, and if it were, how, etc etc.

MR JOHNSON

(^-^)v

[…]

Hence they are checkboxes and not radio buttons – you could simply not select anything at all :)
Also don’t forget that it’s just a draft!

I don’t have code access as of yet, and as such I haven’t been able to judge if this is even possible to implement at all, and if it were, how, etc etc.

Very true enough, still it might just be some kind of progress (if it’s feasible from all perspectives, be it access to code or whatever). Still it’s nice too see coherent discussion on the subject without too much of the normal “stuff” going on :-)

Stop writing nonsense now? you betja!

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Idea is good, you can never please anyone but this is the best suggestion I heard.

L-iNC

You should make it a drop-down list under the Edit Team page with options “Vanilla”, “Cinnamon” and “I don’t Care”. http://www.lassipatanen.com/files/etf2l/ruleset_preference.png

ashkan

Hildreth and Koeitje, feel free to discuss here: http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-16635/

Moose

[MIPC]

Quoted from Tapley ❤

[…]

Vanilla is considered by most as Vanilla+medlocks – The moment, the *moment* we consider adding anything to that we’re back at square one :p. For the love of god leave vanilla+medlocks alone – I love EQ myself, but if we open up the floodgates with EQ all we’ll get is scouts crying for bonk and heavys crying for sandvich. Its too open to conjecture and arguement to consider it – sorry for being closed minded but we could be here for months otherwise.

This. Equalizer is not part of vanilla nor should it be. The split will continue if it is implemented.

Martn

Quoted from Martn

How about, just make the whole league vanilla and then reverse the gentlemans agreement.

Just go for one unlock set and let teams figure out the additional unlocks in the match comments, just like teams do with mercs right now.

Why? Because:
– You force teams to make contact, instead of some automated thingy, this improves the sense of community and iirc this is a community league.
– It allows for negotiation. E.g. Team A wants to use unlock X and team B wants unlock Y. Team B refuses to allow Team A to use unlock X, then Team A could say: “Well, unless you allow our unlock X, then we won’t allow you to use unlock Y.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from ashkan

Hildreth and Koeitje, feel free to discuss here: http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-16635/

I got better things to do like PLAY THE GAME.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Martn

[…]

[…]

Just go for one unlock set and let teams figure out the additional unlocks in the match comments, just like teams do with mercs right now.

Why? Because:
– You force teams to make contact, instead of some automated thingy, this improves the sense of community and iirc this is a community league.
– It allows for negotiation. E.g. Team A wants to use unlock X and team B wants unlock Y. Team B refuses to allow Team A to use unlock X, then Team A could say: “Well, unless you allow our unlock X, then we won’t allow you to use unlock Y.

Possibly, but don’t you think people have enough trouble scheduling their games as it is, it seems hard enough these days to get 2 teams to agree a date, let alone agree a date and agree between about 50 unlocks. Again its too open to arguement, so what spikes suggesting is a good idea – You both discuss but if cant aggree it falls to the default etf2l unlock rule.

TurboTabs

(Classy)
Op4

My concerns or faults I see with this ruleset are (as for cinnamon as a whole, well we have a separate topic for that..);

– Teams will not bother/attempt to work out ways of using or countering unlocks in their 6v6 strategies when it’s easier to just turn them off every time and perfect their vanilla play

– Adds more reasons to fall out with each other/teams; For example…
“Let us use Equaliser!”
“No.”
“PPPPPLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE”
“No.”
“Don’t be a wank stain. Come onnnnnnn.”
“No.”
*forever being passive aggressive to said team/trashing their reputation on ETF2L*
It’s easier to hate teams that are setting rules for themselves then the admins who are setting rules for everyone.

– People drawing lines at whether or not people are winning/better because they played more cinnamon/vanilla matches..
“You only won Div X because you played vanilla on all your matches, Takes more skill to play against all possible weapons”
“You only got this far because you cried at every team to use cinnamon and played this game that a cheap public. Whats wrong? Not used to comp?

– It’s another ‘different’ ruleset, Confusing more people between all the other rulesets. Just be nice knowing every league was under the same ruleset so there’s less to sort out for the teams, less for the spectator to understand what rules are being used and less stress for the admin team placing rules for their ruleset and wondering how it will be taken

– Time and effort will have to be spend to undergo site improvements/tools to work with this new ruleset

P.S Don’t assume most of the lower div people want cinnamon, Thanks (:

P.S.S Tapley’s suggestion/ruleset is better than the current one still in my perspective/opinion. Despite these issues I still would like something like this for next season than the current status quo.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »