Hildreth

Bully
Pander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN97ZmABiS4&feature=related

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

Quoted from Yoursillyself

Counter Strike: Source had the same issue the TF2 originally did. Everyone who came from CS 1.6 / TF expected it to be the same game with a new engine. When there was changes, all the old players complained and went back to the old game. CSS is however gaining speed slowly, as CS 1.6 loses all its old players and people stop playing. In certain parts of the world (Especially here in the UK) CSS scene is actually stronger then CS 1.6.

Who mentioned 1.6? CS:S hasn’t changed a lot in the last 7 years (not counting little cosmetic tweaks), and competitive is still growing.

EDIT: Oh fuck. Should’ve seen it coming. Trolllllllllllllllllllllled

Last edited by Daleth,

rtan

-9w-

xD

jgmaster

BM

What data?

Yoursillyself

Quoted from Daleth

[…]

Who mentioned 1.6? CS:S hasn’t changed a lot in the last 7 years (not counting little cosmetic tweaks), and competitive is still growing.

EDIT: Oh fuck. Should’ve seen it coming. Trolllllllllllllllllllllled

Whoops, sorry, thought you was referencing the fact that the changes in CSS compared to CS 1.6 drove away a lot of competitive players from the game and hindered the overall esport of the game. (Aka suggesting that changes aren’t always good)

CSS is rather simpler in the sense that strategy isn’t really determined by the kind of weapon or the class make up, but rather by teamwork and pure aim. SC2 also has this type of gameplay.

Again it all depends on how the game is updated, and a competitive scene should be looking to stay as close to vannila without making it random and unfair. CSS and SC2 has been stable for a while, and right now the metagame is about new strats. Maybe TF2 will get to that point one day, if Valve stops updating. Or possibly part of figuring out new strats will be how to incorporate new weapons into the existing metagame, and how to counter said weapons.

I am up for some sort of stability, and it would be entirely reasonable for season 10 to ban all the latest weapons, just because there hasn’t been enough time to truely see their effect. However based on the information in test cups and scrims, new weapons should be optimistically examined for season 11.

Also the data comes from me referencing several other competitive scenes, how they reacted to things, and how many of the top teams that have pulled out of TF2 due to ‘balance issues’ have teams in far worse competitive games like LoL.

Dummy

Quoted from Yoursillyself

[…]

Fixed.

using football analogies for TF2, good one idiot
since you want me to repeat myself for some reason because you cant read my previous posts before you started repeating yourself and posting clever responses because you dont actually have an answer (lol it works both ways, who wouldve thought huh):

people dont want to change which is why theyre against ‘locks – wrong, unlocks introduce a random factor where its not needed. the metagame is not stale, nobody has mastered the game yet and there are still new tactics being developed. since were doing footie analogies, would it be plausible to allow a player to have a 100 different kind of boots with different bonuses attached to them? no.

the game will die if there will be no unlocks: completely opinionated and without proof, in fact the NA scene is smaller than the EU scene and they have more unlocks. unrelated imo but since were using unrelated and foolish statistics in our arguments, here you go… both NA and AUS are smaller than EU which is more vanilla, what up now smarty pants?
inb4 ‘WAA WAA BUT ITS COMPLETELY DIFFEREN’T.

I played COD, CS, CSS, AND QUAKE thus I know what will happen to tf2:
wrong. every scene is different, these games are completely different from TF2, same as every community and the people in it is different. every game will die in due time but no game’s death or decline is similar, and saying that is is naive. besides, neither quake nor css nor cs nor COD are dead. the COD community would’ve died quicker if not for the mod which, if im correct, only allowed like 3 weapons? yeah, proves you right doesnt it?

Skyride

DUCS

Right, who the fuck bumped this thread. I was so fucking glad this thread was dead. Fuck you. This is such a dead, waste of energy conversation.

Yoursillyself

Quoted from Dummy

people dont want to change which is why theyre against ‘locks – wrong, unlocks introduce a random factor where its not needed. the metagame is not stale, nobody has mastered the game yet and there are still new tactics being developed. since were doing footie analogies, would it be plausible to allow a player to have a 100 different kind of boots with different bonuses attached to them? no.

How does allowing items include a random factor? That’s like saying allowing more then one tech tree in SC2 makes it more random. As long as items don’t include percentage based buffs (In which case they should be banned) all it does is increase the number of valid strats. However I will conclude that items should be more visible, so you can more clearly see the difference between a FAN and a scattergun scout, for instance.

Just because all the possible strats with vannila haven’t been discovered yet doesn’t mean we should be limiting the others. A better football analogy for your situation would be only allowing 4-4-2 due to not having explored it fully.

Also people are generally against changes to things they do, whether TF2, politics, playing football, or walking down a street.

the game will die if there will be no unlocks: completely opinionated and without proof, in fact the NA scene is smaller than the EU scene and they have more unlocks. unrelated imo but since were using unrelated and foolish statistics in our arguments, here you go… both NA and AUS are smaller than EU which is more vanilla, what up now smarty pants?
inb4 ‘WAA WAA BUT ITS COMPLETELY DIFFEREN’T.

The reason the NA scene is smaller is due to the fact that NA generally aren’t into esports. Their Quake Live scene is smaller, their CSS/CS 1.6 scene is smaller, their SC2 scene is smaller.

However making the game less like vannila will deter new players. Although changes are needed, the less you make from base play the better.

I played COD, CS, CSS, AND QUAKE thus I know what will happen to tf2:
wrong. every scene is different, these games are completely different from TF2, same as every community and the people in it is different. every game will die in due time but no game’s death or decline is similar, and saying that is is naive. besides, neither quake nor css nor cs nor COD are dead. the COD community would’ve died quicker if not for the mod which, if im correct, only allowed like 3 weapons? yeah, proves you right doesnt it?

Most esport scenes follow the same principles, most gaming communities can be compared to come extent. Sure it isn’t a 1:1 copy, but you can take the information from one and apply the principles and theory to the other.

CoD as a competitive scene is rather pathetic considering the number of players who like CoD, this is due to it being a casualized game. The mod is required and keeping it barely alive, but the mod is also the thing making it smaller then it should be Currently less then 141 teams have played a single game. The more modding you have to do to a game, the less suited to esport it is. However too much modding is always bad.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Yoursillyself, now you’re REALLY rehashing old arguments. I recommend that you take your time and re-read some old unlock topics, then reasess what you can still add to this discussion.

It’s just not really useful discussing the same type of arguments over and over again.

hymzi

[MIPC]

I do belive most of us didn’t wanto signup for season 9 solely because of the unlock rules, so we wanted to support ESL since we felt that they had the right rules there.. probably will be the same with ETF2L season10 if there are no change to the rules.. though after the “rebirth” of tf2, this would be really bad if it goes to that.

But yeah.. these discussions are getting kinda tiring since we have to go through the same shit everytime valve decides to add new weapons.. this been going for what? 9seasons ? Sniff.

Dummy

Quoted from skeej

Yoursillyself, now you’re REALLY rehashing old arguments. I recommend that you take your time and re-read some old unlock topics, then reasess what you can still add to this discussion.

It’s just not really useful discussing the same type of arguments over and over again.

this, really

Sketch

MM

Quoted from Dummy

[…]
this, really

+1

Yoursillyself

Ok I went and read some of the older threads on this issue.

The main argument that came across was simple. It wasn’t about balance, but that Div 1/premium teams are whiny little bitches and leave at the slightest change.

The biggest thing I saw was actually in this thread

http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-16689/page-7/

Second post down by a guy called Beef.

As you can see, this guy worked with his team to create a new strat, using mini sentries on engineer to create a new kind of gameplay style rather then 2 scouts. People stoppped playing against his team, and in effect he stoppped playing. Rather then the community embracing his new strat and looking to work with it, they tried to just ban it, basically losing a team from TF2.

Anything that limits creativity is bad. And the only people against unlocks are seemingly the 4-5 top teams that are comfy in their position. Gaining new teams are far more important then keeping the few whiny bitches, as new teams will become low ranked teams, and eventually those low ranked teams will become mid teams, and mid teams will eventually become high ranked teams.

Considering that TF2 is now F2P what is worth more? 500 new teams that want the ability to be creative, or the 3 teams that will leave if it isn’t static and boring?

Last edited by Yoursillyself,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Who are you?

Also – his team played Division 6 last season (they won so well done to them) and teams didn’t want to play against his using that particular strategy were Division 6 teams so at the end of the day it isn’t just Prem/Div 1 teams that dislike it.

Not everyone likes unlocks, not everyone likes Vanilla (I prefer unlocks personally, they add something to the game). End of the day – play the game for fun no matter what the unlock rules are, it is more important to actually PLAY the game than to bitch about unlocks.

rtan

-9w-

it isn’t static and boring, it’s a fun game, and bringing in shitty, cheap weapons won’t make it more entertaining.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 44 45 46 Next »